Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would this chord be?

1-4-7

You could say it's just a 7sus chord, only it has a natural 7 (opposed to b7 which is the standard 7sus chord) without the fifth. It reminds me a lot of Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter" in some way....I'll have to hear it again and see if there is a similar chord in that song.

So, ♮7sus? Or does it have a certain name? I'm going through every chord bible/chart/book I own and can't find this particular one.

Re: What would this chord be?

Originally posted by tc View Post
    1-4-7

You could say it's just a 7sus chord, only it has a natural 7 (opposed to b7 which is the standard 7sus chord) without the fifth. It reminds me a lot of Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter" in some way....I'll have to hear it again and see if there is a similar chord in that song.

So, ♮7sus? Or does it have a certain name? I'm going through every chord bible/chart/book I own and can't find this particular one.
    To me, it *sounds* like the 4 should really be the root, with a low 5 and high flatted 5th.
    Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
    That's one of the reasons I don't have children. Bullet-proof insurance against anything bad happening to them.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    Just made my 7th White Russian. We'll see what happens.
    Originally posted by JohnJohn
    He's a tall crazy tatted up ex trash band guitar player from Vancouver .
    Think of an unarmed Lucid covered in ink.

Comment

possibly a Maj7add13....not enough notes to really name it and no chords before and after to give it context and function. Right now, it could be a lot of different things.
      Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
      It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

No yeah I'm thinking a sus4 inversion makes more sense.

Comment

Spelling a major chord from a theory standpoint gives you:

1, major 3, perfect 5, major 7.

You have a major chord, sus4 that drops the 3 and 5. Unconventional, but in traditional theory I believe that's what it would be (and probably used as a transitional chord). I hear how you want to invert it, similar to 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins.

EDIT - Just confirmed with my highly-music theory educated brother.

"Maj7 sus4" for the reasons above.
          Last edited by PFDarkside; 04-15-2010, 06:45 AM.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Just because the three notes include the natural seventh, doesn't necessarily mean the full chord is going to be a Major. It could be a suspension of a Major/minor seventh (like the first scale-tone chord of the harmonic minor scale). Only in context would it become clearer.
            Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

"Maj7 sus4"
              This gets my vote. Wouldn't this still be correct if you added the 5th?
              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                This gets my vote. Wouldn't this still be correct if you added the 5th?
                Yes.

Crusty, I see where you are coming from, but without that additional info I think you have to default to the simplist explanation.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  Yes.

Crusty, I see where you are coming from, but without that additional info I think you have to default to the simplist explanation.
                  Without the additional information (i.e. 'context', knowing the chords coming before and after the fragment in question) I personally would consider all bets are on the table and nothing should be ruled out. I think that without the additional information it would be foolish to simply default to the simplest explanation.

However, as often happens, i seem to be in a minority. C'est la vie.
                  Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                    Without the additional information (i.e. 'context', knowing the chords coming before and after the fragment in question) I personally would consider all bets are on the table and nothing should be ruled out. I think that without the additional information it would be foolish to simply default to the simplest explanation.

However, as often happens, i seem to be in a minority. C'est la vie.
                    I'm with you crusty. I'm in school as a music major and am going on to get my master's degree in theory. Without the extra information it could be almost anything. There's no sense in naming it without the context.
                    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

I am certainly not disputing with Crusty or Capo ..........

I barely know any music theory ......... in fact, my sketchy knowledge is only what I learned from playing in a band with a keyboard player who had a music degree and was a junior high school band director.

I don't presume to know what any chord other than a straight 1/3/5 might be called out of context. I suppose I call it Maj7sus4(no5) only for my convenience and, recognizing that form, would play it correctly.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

i just thought about this. ok, think 7-7-7-x-x-x vs 0-2-2-2-x-x; same chord but with the added "4" to the bottom adding a power chord of sorts. i got to thinking this when i was switching between E and A root notes, and then thinking of the transitional Esus4 chord between the changes in "hot for teacher."

imo, desert is right that the "4" really sounds like the root, which would make it an Xsus4.
                        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Working...
                        X