Pro Tools Digi 002?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Tools Digi 002?

Has anyone here used this rack mount system for recording? I was considering picking one up locally here, but I was looking to find out if it actually works and tracks well first. This will be my first experience with learning to record on my own, so I want something nice.
    Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
    I dig the wood!

Re: Pro Tools Digi 002?

Do some research on PT and other DAW softwares. Pro Tools is a closed system for the most part and can get rather pricey. I would buy a smokin Mac and Logic long before I would invest in PT.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Yeah, and then take your sessions to a studio and hope that they run Logic, right?

Pro Tools isn't the *best* solution for everyone, but if you plan on taking session data to a studio, you know that they'll have Pro Tools.

Pro Tools runs fine on a Mac or a PC, so no need to buy another computer, depending on how old your current system is.

NOTE -

I've had 13 years of professional experience as a Mac and PC technician, and currently build systems for videographers and musicians. I don't just make this stuff up.

The 002 will work fine, and you can get the Pro Tools 8 software from Digidesign directly if the rack doesn't come with it, it's probably $100 or so.

When it gets expensive is if you decide to run Pro Tools HD. That's $13k for the hardware alone. There's NO reason for a home user to run it. Pro Tools 8 gives you plenty of power for even modestly sized orchestral compositions. As for Pro Tools being closed, Logic is moreso.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
        Yeah, and then take your sessions to a studio and hope that they run Logic, right?

Pro Tools isn't the *best* solution for everyone, but if you plan on taking session data to a studio, you know that they'll have Pro Tools.

Pro Tools runs fine on a Mac or a PC, so no need to buy another computer, depending on how old your current system is.

NOTE -

I've had 13 years of professional experience as a Mac and PC technician, and currently build systems for videographers and musicians. I don't just make this stuff up.

The 002 will work fine, and you can get the Pro Tools 8 software from Digidesign directly if the rack doesn't come with it, it's probably $100 or so.

When it gets expensive is if you decide to run Pro Tools HD. That's $13k for the hardware alone. There's NO reason for a home user to run it. Pro Tools 8 gives you plenty of power for even modestly sized orchestral compositions. As for Pro Tools being closed, Logic is moreso.
        You just export the tracks as a aiff or .wav file if you want to work somewhere else. If there's a will there's a way. The only thing Logic is closed to is the platform. Try buying plugins for Pro Tools.
        Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 06-02-2010, 09:56 AM.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
          You just export the tracks as a aiff or .wav file if you want to work somewhere else. If there's a will there's a way. The only thing Logic is closed to is the platform. Try buying plugins for Pro Tools.
          By that "logic", Logic is limited to AU plugins.

Fortunately, for BOTH Logic and Pro Tools, FXPansion makes wrappers to convert VST plugins. There's the VST-AU Adapter for Macs, as well as the VST-RTAS Adapter for Mac and PC. Then, couple that with the fact that there's tons more VST plugins for PC only, running Pro Tools on a PC is a good solution for people. With Pro Tools sessions, you can take your entire session data to a studio, not just the audio data. You'd be able to include all of your automation and whatnot.

BTW, he can always use the 002 on a Mac with Logic if he wanted.

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by jcthejester13 View Post
            Has anyone here used this rack mount system for recording? I was considering picking one up locally here, but I was looking to find out if it actually works and tracks well first. This will be my first experience with learning to record on my own, so I want something nice.
            What price are you seeing for the 002? You'll also want to make sure that all the inputs and outputs work. Also, verify that your computer has firewire to hook the 002 up.

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

By that "logic", Logic is limited to AU plugins.

Fortunately, for BOTH Logic and Pro Tools, FXPansion makes wrappers to convert VST plugins. There's the VST-AU Adapter for Macs, as well as the VST-RTAS Adapter for Mac and PC. Then, couple that with the fact that there's tons more VST plugins for PC only, running Pro Tools on a PC is a good solution for people. With Pro Tools sessions, you can take your entire session data to a studio, not just the audio data. You'd be able to include all of your automation and whatnot.

BTW, he can always use the 002 on a Mac with Logic if he wanted.
              You're right but he would still be using an inferior product.
              Pulse 2AM - YouTube
              Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I'm 99% certain I wouldn't have the patience, much less the cranial capacity, to learn how to use pro tools.

Comment

Okay, lets have fun.

Here is my hypothetical system:
                  iMac 21.5-inch $1,199.00
                  Logic express 9 $199.00
                  Line 6 POD Studio UX1 with POD Farm $149.00

I'm making pro quality tracks now.

I don't know but how much would a similar PT's set up cost?
                  Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                  Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Okay, lets have fun.

Here is my hypothetical system:
                    iMac 21.5-inch $1,199.00
                    Logic express 9 $199.00
                    Line 6 POD Studio UX1 with POD Farm $149.00

I'm making pro quality tracks now.

I don't know but how much would a similar PT's set up cost?
                    Logic Express is NOT Logic.

Loaded PC system with 22 Inch Monitor - $1200ish. It'd also include the second hard drive that you're sorely lacking.

Pro Tools M-Powered $250 + M-Audio interface - $100-$400, depending on the I/O, or MBox 2 + Pro Tools LE, $300-$600, depending on interface.

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Pro Tools LE
                      Pro Tools LE isn't Pro Tools.

Aren't I limited to just a few options for interfaces with Pro Tools? Can you use the Line 6 POD Studio UX1 with POD Farm as the sole interface with PT's?
                      Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM.
                      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

What price are you seeing for the 002? You'll also want to make sure that all the inputs and outputs work. Also, verify that your computer has firewire to hook the 002 up.
                        It comes with a Dell and monitor. I guess it is the entire recording PC set up. All together it is $600.
                        I dig the wood!

Comment

Originally posted by jcthejester13 View Post
                          It comes with a Dell and monitor. I guess it is the entire recording PC set up. All together it is $600.
                          Sounds like a killer deal to me. The 002 rack is worth $500 on it's own.

Twitter:
                          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

It is a 3.8gig Dell running pentium 4 and a 19in monitor with it. I guess the guy is trying to pay his way through dental school.

You would snatch that up?
                            I dig the wood!

Comment

Pro Tools LE isn't Pro Tools.

Aren't I limited to just a few options for interfaces with Pro Tools? Can you use the Line 6 POD Studio UX1 with POD Farm as the sole interface with PT's?
                              No, Pro Tools LE isn't Pro Tools HD. It's still Pro Tools. You can still take your session data from one and move it to the other. I believe that once you work in Logic Studio, you can't open the session again under Express.

Sure, you're limited to Digidesign interfaces for LE, and M-Audio interfaces for M-Powered.. but you can use the same interfaces for any software DAW that you want. But you already knew the answer to that and are just trying to continue an argument.

Like I said before, I used to be a Mac and PC technician. I've owned more Macs than you have over the years. I've been a PC and Mac beta tester for audio software companies, and currently make my living building systems for videographers and musicians/studios. A Mac is just an overpriced PC. I've used Cubase (VST/5 through SX 5), Cakewalk (PA 9 - Sonar 8), Pro Tools (6.1 - 8.0), Logic (6.0 - 8.0, haven't tried 9 yet) Logic Express 7 and 8, Acid 4.0-7.0, every version of Vegas and Sound Forge, Reaper, and maybe even more... and I feel comfortable enough making recommendations for people looking to get into recording.

Would I recommend Logic Studio? Possibly, if the person already had a Mac, but I'd recommend Pro Tools as well if they're wanting to take their work to a studio. If they wanted to do everything themselves, Logic Studio would work fine. Would I recommend Logic Express? Only if I felt that they were just looking at hobbyist level production.

Personally, I think the best setup on the PC right now is a combination of Reaper and Pro Tools, at least until Pro Tools is 64 bit.

99% of people that say "forget that, buy a mac" are fanboys. I'm sorry that a PC didn't work out for you, but it's a computer, not a movement.

Twitter:
                              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
                              X