banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to start recording on my laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to start recording on my laptop?

I'd like to start recording... get some of my ideas on paper so to say.

I'd like a basic setup that's easy to use... both for recording and production.

I'd like to be able to plug straight in and use some models (guitar and bass).

I'd like to be able to mic my live rig.

I'd like basic (preferably editable) drum tracks.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: What do I need to start recording on my laptop?

line 6 toneport ux1 model is great for either plugging straight in with a 1/4" input and onboard amp modeling, or use the xlr input for a mic with onboard preamp models. there's also various outputs for monitors and/or headphones, though i just put a 1/4"-1/8" adaptor into the headphones out and use that as my main stereo output. they're usually just above $100, so it's a pretty good deal imo.

dunno about drums, usually anytime i've recorded drums it was either the drum setting on a cheap keyboard or a cheap mic with a real set.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

The Toneports or whatever they call them now rock! In terms of drums Addictive Drums or something like it would be cool.
      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

+1 for toneport UX1 interface. It will serve you well until you want to more inputs/outputs to record or need better quality AD/DA converters.

You'll also need a sequencer software where you can manage/operate/cut/paste/mixdown etc recorded tracks, like Garage Band or Audacity. For a more serious work: Logic, CuBase, Sonar, Adobe Audition 3.0 and the like. Many of them (Sonar, for sure) have bundled and usable drumkit plug-ins. They won't match the sound of some reel'pro stuff but still, they are pretty decent for songwriting and arrangement. They use MIDI maps, after getting used to that you can edit your drum tracks anywhere you wish.
        Last edited by NecroPolo; 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM.
        Wackor
        Řrdřg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

I don't think the TonePorts are produced anymore, except for the UX8, which is probably overkill. I have a POD Studio UX2, and it's probably overkill for what you're describing. You could buy a Studio UX1 and use it for either a microphone input or straight in. Then download Reaper, and you're set to go.

Comment

As mentioned above you need some form of USB interface.
            Depending on what you're going to plug into it depends how much it's gonna cost.
            Next you need some form of software, if you're running a mac I recommend Garage Band to start on, as it's pretty easy to use, you can edit drum tracks and it even has a basic amp simulator, although it's not great.
            If you're planning on plugging your guitar straight in then things such as a tone port are good, there used to be a thing called riff tracker that had some basic drum loops for getting ideas down quickly.
            Other options are plugging your amp into the USB device and then using just a speaker emulator to get half decent tones.
            If you want to add sequenced tracks I recommend some form of USB piano keyboard.
            You don't need many keys but it's much easier than using a computer keyboard, even when doing drums.
            It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
              The Toneports or whatever they call them now rock! In terms of drums Addictive Drums or something like it would be cool.

thanks buddy

Comment

Starter setup:

POD studio UX-1: $120
                Reaper: $60
                Toontrack EZ drummer: Currently on sale for $50 (down from 150)

VERY effective little setup. Highly expandable. Plenty that can be done. Reaper is an awesome DAW, EZ drummer is a very easy to use VSTi drum sampler with a nice library of MIDI files and editable beats, and the line 6 unit is very user-friendly and can yeild damned decent results. All for under $250.

Comment

Originally posted by krankguitarist View Post
                  Starter setup:

POD studio UX-1: $120
                  Reaper: $60
                  Toontrack EZ drummer: Currently on sale for $50 (down from 150)

VERY effective little setup. Highly expandable. Plenty that can be done. Reaper is an awesome DAW, EZ drummer is a very easy to use VSTi drum sampler with a nice library of MIDI files and editable beats, and the line 6 unit is very user-friendly and can yeild damned decent results. All for under $250.
                  yes! that is what I use. I got the podfarm platinum with toneport for $100. reaper is fine. ezdrummer is all I use. I never read the directions, I just bought em and use em.

I cant wait to hear screamingdaisy clips! I dig your choice of gear dude.

Comment

I picked up an M-Audio interface. It came with a bare bones version of Pro-Tools.

I need to pick up up a mini-to-1/4" adaptor so I can plug my headphones in as a monitor (the interface disables my laptop's speakers). Once I have that done I'll be good to go for direct/emulated stuff. Next month I'll pick up an SM57 so I can start mic'ing my cab.

Comment

Mmm, not the way I would have gone, but if one wants to go the pro tools direction then that's a good way to go.

Good luck with all that.

Comment

Yeah... I don't know what I'm doing so I'm bound to screw it up the first couple of times.

Comment

Hey PodStudio UX guys:

Can you monitor through computer speakers or do you have to have monitors coming from the interface?

Comment

Originally posted by elscorcho View Post
                            Hey PodStudio UX guys:

Can you monitor through computer speakers or do you have to have monitors coming from the interface?
                            You mean the speakers built into the laptop? I dont think you can do that directly.
                            Originally posted by MikeS
                            a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                            Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                            whats becoming of this generation
                            We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

I was wondering if I can run an external computer speaker set I already have out of the speaker jack on the lappy or if I need to buy "monitors" to run outta the UX2

Comment

Working...
                              X