Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '68 Strat & Ulbrick Venue 30

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
    Great sound Geoff and great trem technique. Simply wonderful. I'd also like to know what your signal chain and amp were on your tune "Stratmosphere." If I could get a strat to sound like that I would actually play mine more.
    Thanks Jeff...if I recall correctly, Stratmosphere was bridge pickup (SSL-5), into an Ulbrick 12AXE overdrive pedal, into a Fender Super Champ running fairly clean.

Cheers.................................. wahwah
    Highway Star
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Mistreated
    Cause We Ended As Lovers
    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Very nice... I like your playing, and it's a great clean tone. Didn't Ulbrick go out of business?

Comment

Originally posted by infrared72 View Post
        Very nice... I like your playing, and it's a great clean tone. Didn't Ulbrick go out of business?
        Last time I spoke to Dave, he had closed down the factory and dissolved a business partnership, but AFAIK has since returned to building amps and pedals on a smaller scale, similar to what he was doing before it all got out of hand. He suffered along with everyone else through the GEC, which came at a pivotal time in the company's development. Dave's a champion and has so much respect and support from local players, it was tough watching him getting stressed out by the business side of things. The man has golden ears and a great sense of what will suit an individual player. I've learned a lot from him over the years.

Cheers..................................... wahwah
        Highway Star
        Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
        Mistreated
        Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Geoff, man... that just made me smile and feel good all the way through. Beautiful tone and feel. I'm still smiling it was so good! One question though, how do you get such a wonderful sound out of that old lump-a-firewood??????????

Great to see you back and posting clips... I'll be looking for a few more now you have a little time on your hands.

Awesome.

Comment

Sweet sounding stuff there Geoff. Beautifully melodic and understated.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
              Geoff, man... that just made me smile and feel good all the way through. Beautiful tone and feel. I'm still smiling it was so good! One question though, how do you get such a wonderful sound out of that old lump-a-firewood??????????

Great to see you back and posting clips... I'll be looking for a few more now you have a little time on your hands.

Awesome.
              Don, good to hear from you mate. If my clip makes you smile and feel good, then I couldn't ask for a better response. Imagine how much better it will be when I have the old Strat refinished in thick gobs of sparkle green poly! I'm ashamed that I've left it this long, with the paint all wearing off like that. I've learnt from a few of the more informed members of the forum that I should be taking much better care of my instruments, and that they do indeed sound so much better when they are polished to a surgical shine, and left at home for all gigs that don't involve playing behind a full perspex screen between band and audience. Once my son has finished hand sanding it (his first job with a sander...learning as he goes!) and I get that sparkly green poly on it, I think I'll just leave it in the case to impress my friends when they visit.

My next clip will probably involve the BJF Honey Bee overdrive I got a couple of months ago...it works nicely with the Ulbrick. Watch this space...

Cheers...................................... Geoff.
              Highway Star
              Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
              Mistreated
              Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                Sweet sounding stuff there Geoff. Beautifully melodic and understated.
                Thanks Steve, nothing planned, just a bunch of thumb and fingers noodling really...I was literally just enjoying the tone myself and decided to capture some of it while it was moving me. Thanks for listening.

Cheers.................................. wahwah
                Highway Star
                Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                Mistreated
                Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

I just cut my strat in two and buuuuurned it, lol. That is one of the ways a strat needs to be played. I mean, NEEDS to be played! Thank you for posting that WW.
                  My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                  or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                  http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                  700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

That it a sweet one. Very simple with a large canvas. I like it when I can dial in tones like that.

Reading you discuss single-coil noise reminds me of what I had Texas Specials. I love them but they are a bit noisier than other singles I've played. I now have a SG Classic with P-90s and find I can tolerate that noise better than from Strat singles.

Comment

Cool that he is going lowkey with this stuff....it shows...lovely tone!
                      And fits the player well....as always a pleasure!
                      This buisiness is mad!!
                      Won't mind doing a lowkey thing as well....

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
                        Don, good to hear from you mate. If my clip makes you smile and feel good, then I couldn't ask for a better response. Imagine how much better it will be when I have the old Strat refinished in thick gobs of sparkle green poly! I'm ashamed that I've left it this long, with the paint all wearing off like that. I've learnt from a few of the more informed members of the forum that I should be taking much better care of my instruments, and that they do indeed sound so much better when they are polished to a surgical shine, and left at home for all gigs that don't involve playing behind a full perspex screen between band and audience. Once my son has finished hand sanding it (his first job with a sander...learning as he goes!) and I get that sparkly green poly on it, I think I'll just leave it in the case to impress my friends when they visit.

My next clip will probably involve the BJF Honey Bee overdrive I got a couple of months ago...it works nicely with the Ulbrick. Watch this space...

Cheers...................................... Geoff.

Excellent mate, looking forward to it. Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks Neil...you managed to comment without actually using up a post count!

Cheers.................................. Geoff.
                          Highway Star
                          Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                          Mistreated
                          Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Reminds me a lot of one of my favorite players!

Nice work Geoff. Very pure tone.
                            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                              Sounds great Geoff....warm fat and sweet!
                              Man I really dig that Strat, it sure has alot of character!
                              BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                              Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                              Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                              Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                              Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                              Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                              Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                              Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                              Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                              Gibson EBO

Comment

Simply beautiful Geoff.

*in best blueman 335 voice*...How can you stand that weak, thin, trebley, strat tone?
                                Originally posted by tone4days
                                we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Working...
                                X