Teach me something...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teach me something...

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll have some learning to do tonight, and hopefully this will help break me out of the rote-muscle-memory-rut I've been in recently. Particular props to DankStar.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
      Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll have some learning to do tonight, and hopefully this will help break me out of the rote-muscle-memory-rut I've been in recently. Particular props to DankStar.
      here's to a good practice

I still have printouts of other forum members' tabbed tricks and licks from older threads; they're a nice resource in the overall bag of goodies.

Comment

For understanding chord progressions, one of your greatest assests is learning to use the Cycle of Fifths.

Sometime ago, I came across a series of lectures given by a keyboard player. The series includes cycle of fifths and song structure. These are keyboard based and I came to a better understanding of how the cycle works.

Here is clip from the series of lessons for keyboard players concerning song structure.

Karen Cuneo Ramirez explains the chord sequence known as 1-6-2-5-1.
        That is not dead which can eternal lie,
        And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Practice your vibrato to a tuner; learn to be able to control, on command, whether or not you're going with a halfstep or wholestep, and change between them in the same notes, as well.
          www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

If you screw up a riff, repeat the mistake or elaborate on it.

It can be written off as being creative if anyone asks!

Comment

Sometimes the core of a melodic riff needs to be identified by actually singing/humming it first, and then playing it.
              Joining a chorus and learning basic vocal sight reading will make you a better guitar player.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
                Practice your vibrato to a tuner; learn to be able to control, on command, whether or not you're going with a halfstep or wholestep, and change between them in the same notes, as well.
                That's a cool idea. I'll definitely give that a shot. My vibrato is not my strong suit.

Comment

"...the people in the audience respond to music, not capacitance, dc-resistance, or henries."

- Creston Lea
                  my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

The best thing I've learned... is really a concept.

Practice makes perfect.

People usually practice until they can play it perfectly.

Experts practice until they can't play it wrong.
                    -=The Dali
                    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Play less long, and more often.

Your muscle memory will take more in by playing 10 min a day every day, than if you play HARDCORE ALL DAY a day each week.

Proven.

Comment

When a lick, trick or concept is being difficult to ingrain, take a couple days break. A lot of the time, you'll come back to the guitar, and whatever you tried so hard to do the other day, will just fall out.
                        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I have no idea. After 27 years I still don't think like a guitarist, and I still don't know most of the "stock licks" that everyone else plays.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                          X