Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Broadway Guitar Solo

Hey guys, Happy New Year!

Thought I'd post a video from my last gig. My group Standing Room Only (A Lagond Music Production) played at Bar East 1st Ave @ 90th. Turned out to be a really fun night! We did our version of On Broadway (of The Drifters and George Benson fame) and here's my guitar solo from that:

It was recorded on a Cisco Flip and put through iMovie and Youtube and all that so you lose a lot of lows, but you get the idea of the tone. My rig that night was:

Pelham Blue DG-335 (w/ BB3 bridge pickup, TonePros hardware and 13 gauge Sadowsky Pure Nickel strings) > (blue Trailer Trash pedalboard) Freakshow Effects The Rabbit (Rat clone) > Line 6 Verbzilla > Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp (channels jumped with a y-cable). Also, I'm using Fulltone cables for everything including the pedalboard.

Feel free to check us out on Facebook as well and 'Like' us if you dig what you hear! I'd love to hear what you guys think!

I really appreciate it guys and I hope you enjoy!
    - Nicky
    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
    - Tungsten Buckwheat
    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Re: On Broadway Guitar Solo

fingers too! nice! looks like a fun gig with all that percussion and horns.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Nice!
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

very very cool sound and runs dude!!! Looks like you've earned yourself some clutch chops, diggin this!
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Bookmarking this for later reference!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

HELL YES MAN!

Good to see you back around after a few years - did you end up going to Berklee as once discussed or what?
            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys! Much appreciated!

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              fingers too! nice! looks like a fun gig with all that percussion and horns.
              Haha thanks! It's definitely fun to play with those guys. I've known them for a while. And yeah, I switched to fingerstyle for almost everything. (little bit of nail, not too much). I was on and off with the flatpick, thumbpick or just fingers or just thumb. But I made my decision a few months ago to stick with the fingers and develop that. Still do octaves and some comping with the thumb and funk rhythm with a flatpick but everything else is fingers. I dig the tone and I play more melodically and rhythmically that way. It's different for everyone.

Thanks for the comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
              Nice!
              Thanks!

Originally posted by Quencho092 View Post
              very very cool sound and runs dude!!! Looks like you've earned yourself some clutch chops, diggin this!
              Thank you thank you!

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              Bookmarking this for later reference!
              HAHA thanks a lot man!

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
              HELL YES MAN!

Good to see you back around after a few years - did you end up going to Berklee as once discussed or what?
              Thank you and it's good to be back! Yeah, I'm at Berklee now; going into my 6th semester (can't believe I'm half-way done with my junior year!) I'm doing the whole 'jazz' thing which I can't get enough of. I have a great private teacher that is really steering me in the right direction and inspires me all the time despite being immersed in the competitive 'conservatory' world. Repertoire, transcriptions (Bird, Wes, Benson, Cannonball Adderley, Rollins, Grant Green, Trane, McCoy Tyner, Michael Brecker, Scofield...) improv improv improv, composing, gigging, playing, absorbing what everyone in Boston has to say, plus other musical classes and liberal arts. Then, I take that and apply it to my own projects. All of it works together one way or another. Working a lot over the summers teaching, roadieing, gigging, rehearsing etc etc.

I'm on winter break now and for the next couple of weeks. I got inspired to do some gear stuff and that brought me back here!
              - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
              - Tungsten Buckwheat
              - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Finally got around to watching/listening to this. That was most enjoyable, would love to see you play live next time you play in NYC. Drop me a PM.

Tone was great, very Klon-like, imo.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks a lot man! You're hearing power tube overdrive (the amp is set pretty high) with the Freakshow FX The Rabbit (RAT clone). I wish the recording didn't compress/neuter the sound so much. The tone loses its depth.

I'll definitely let you know the next time we play in the city. I'm spending the rest of my break shedding for the next semester and doing some random cocktail gigs (private parties and such) for spending money. The band will probably do some stuff in March and then maybe a tour over the summer. We're going to Baltimore for some festival or something then hopefully a bunch of NY dates.

Again, (shameless plug) please help me out by 'Liking' the Standing Room Only page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lagon...56316731082980. It takes 2 seconds and helps me look better for clubs in Boston/NY etc. I really appreciate it guys, you all know how it is to start promoting bands. Thanks so much guys.
                  - Tungsten Buckwheat
                  - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

There's a reason you've been my favorite young forum member, and that's the reason.

I knew you were the real deal when you were a teenager.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                      There's a reason you've been my favorite young forum member, and that's the reason.

I knew you were the real deal when you were a teenager.
                      Aw, thank you! That means so much man. It's good to be around these parts!
                      - Tungsten Buckwheat
                      - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

THAT WAS AWESOME. I love that tone and your chops are amazing. Great solo.
                        Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                        H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                        Originally posted by jcthejester13
                        I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

funky!!

awesome band man.

Comment

Originally posted by gilaltom3 View Post
                            THAT WAS AWESOME. I love that tone and your chops are amazing. Great solo.
                            Thank you thank you thank you!

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                            funky!!

awesome band man.
                            Thanks dude!
                            - Tungsten Buckwheat
                            - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

could you maybe post a quick tab of the lick at 1:03? been trying to figure that out...

Comment

Working...
                              X