Not me, but just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not me, but just wondering

I grew up on mostly on 60s rock, but I have enjoyed many other genres through the years .. some that have faded and others that endure. All that aside, I really like what these kids have woven together melodically and lyrically. Does anyone else like this at least a little bit?

Warning: The "live" music in this video contains loops, vocal processing, and is almost guitarless.

Last edited by Lazarus1140; 02-04-2012, 10:52 AM.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: Not me, but just wondering

Wally De Backer (aka Gotye) lives and records about half an hour from where I live, and the acoustic guitarist in that band, Ben Edgar, is a friend of mine. This song was a huge hit here, and he's won all sorts of awards for it. The artist I work for has used that song in our pre-gig intro CD since it came out. Elements of it, particularly the vocal sound and range, remind me of early Police. It's good stuff.

Cheers...................................... wahwah
    Highway Star
    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
    Mistreated
    Cause We Ended As Lovers
    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Yeah, that's a really great song.

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
        Elements of it, particularly the vocal sound and range, remind me of early Police. It's good stuff.

Once I found out they were from Australia I knew you would be familiar, Geoff. You're certainly spot on ..... when the vocalist gets up into the top of his range it is very Stingish.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
          Yeah, that's a really great song.
          Yeah, the melody is so simple, and the first time I heard it I couldn't get it out of my head for days.

Comment

This version is pretty clever too...amazing how a really good song will wear all kinds of presentation.

Cheers.................................... wahwah
            Highway Star
            Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
            Mistreated
            Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

I can't stand that song! LOL Did everyone get neutered while I was out? Hahaha
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Are you serious, Robert? I kinda thought you'd like it.

Comment

It's a good song I'll admit that but boy those simplistic little melody lines on the instruments just don't do it for me. So much of this generations music lacks any sort of balls to me, and I just can't relate. I feel like I'm marching off to see the Hobbit with that xylophone. LOL
                    Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 02-04-2012, 02:30 PM.
                    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

When my youngest daughter was a toddler I used to read her a children's book titled "Simple Pictures Are Best". I think I have come to a point where simplicity in music is something that I appreciate. Then again, at my age the nads are not as important as they once were.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                        When my youngest daughter was a toddler I used to read her a children's book titled "Simple Pictures Are Best". I think I have come to a point where simplicity in music is something that I appreciate. Then again, at my age the nads are not as important as they once were.
                        I love simple music because frankly, I'm old and tired and can't expend the energy to listen to anything else! I prefer simple like Katy Perry, Britney Spears over arty simple like that tune.
                        Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 02-04-2012, 03:36 PM.
                        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Well, I understand that, too.

I guess it just comes down to different strokes for different folkd!

Comment

Yup. I can say I'm a big Gotye fan after being turned onto him on here a little bit ago.

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                              It's a good song I'll admit that but boy those simplistic little melody lines on the instruments just don't do it for me. So much of this generations music lacks any sort of balls to me, and I just can't relate. I feel like I'm marching off to see the Hobbit with that xylophone. LOL
                              I think with this one, the balls are in the lyrics, in exposing that dialogue between the two involved, and in the vocal performance. That's what I think has got the original tune 60 million hits on YouTube, rather than any individual instrument parts. In fact, to leave that dialogue even more exposed by removing all support from the instrumentation only makes it bolder. Of course, that doesn't mean you gotta like it though!

Cheers........................................ wahwah
                              Highway Star
                              Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                              Mistreated
                              Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Working...
                              X