Rock Singers... advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Singers... advice needed

I have just started getting into singing.... I'm pretty good I think... at least better than I thought I was....

Anyway... I will most likely be singing in a rock context...

How the hell do you scream? haha I can get a good voice but whenever I try to go over the top or get a gritty scream, my voice just cracks or goes way out of tune.... really quickly.

2:43

I don't plan to sing like Maynard but I want to know if I can even do it... Like I said, I think I sound good singing...... I just can't scream and I want to scream lol.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Rock Singers... advice needed

If your voice is cracking, you should stop trying it like that. Try get the power of the scream/yell from your chest and abdomen as you can rather than your throat, and just practice until you can do it well.
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Originally posted by CTN
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Cigarettes and whiskey.

(Not really, those are terrible for your voice)
      Originally posted by Aceman
      It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Take vocal lessons. Get your vocal chords in shape to sing. Learn to breathe properly when singing. Once the basics are down and your range is discovered, you'll know if you can scream or not.

Comment

Pretend there are demons out to get you.
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
            Pretend there are demons out to get you.
            Ahahahaha!
            Originally posted by jeremy
            God hates bad guitar tone
            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

There's no overnight advice anyone can give you. It took me years to learn how to do that properly. Not only that but switch back and forth styles in one set. All I can say is to start with the very basics and develop from there. No matter how good you think you are, you should definitely keep having regular vocal coaching.
              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Try get the power of the scream/yell from your chest
                Worst advice ever. All the power comes from your diaphragm and you can even enhance it by expanding the sides of your ribs.

Learn to breathe properly when singing.
                That's the most important part.

Once the basics are down and your range is discovered, you'll know if you can scream or not.
                Every one can scream/growl/shout whatever.

Have you ever heard of Melissa Cross? She's a vocal teacher and specializes on screaming techniques. She got some really helpful videos on the web and even 2 DVDs. Some of the most amazing and successful vocalists have taken lessons with her.

It's impossible to teach you how to scream just by typing it. I really suggest you watch Melissa's DVDs. And don't give up It's really hard in the beginnig but with the time, you'll learn how it's done!
                We spit on those who choose to pose, we thrash with all the rest!

Comment

Working...
                X