Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need music notation software?

Take a look here.

I just got an announcement that you can download Finale NotePad 2012 for free. I bought the 2011 version last year when I got in a mood to transcribe some guitar parts I was working on. Its user interface is a bit clunky, but the finished product beats the hell out of reading my hand-written manuscript. I'm hoping 2012 is a bit easier to use, but I haven't tried it yet.

If you read and write music, it's definitely something worth having around, especially at this price. Available for Windows or Mac.

Let me know if you try it, and what you think.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Need music notation software?

wonder if I can use this to more easily tab out riffs - I like to do audio snippets of riffs made up (usually GB on ipad w/built in mic), but find I need to tab them out to really remember positions and such - by hand is kind of a pain.

Comment

I'm kinda dense ... especially today.

If I play a keyboard part into the computer will this program chart out what I've played?
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

You can write tab on it, I've done it.

As for MIDI-to-manuscript, I'm not sure.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Sibelius is the best, but i still use finale cos i got used to it.
          Lazararus:
          Yes it will transcribe keyboard parts, but you have to set parameters like time signature and key signature. It helps if you play to a click track also.
          Dank Star: Guitar Pro is better for guitar tabs.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            Sibelius is the best, but i still use finale cos i got used to it.
            Lazararus:
            Yes it will transcribe keyboard parts, but you have to set parameters like time signature and key signature. It helps if you play to a click track also.
            Dank Star: Guitar Pro is better for guitar tabs.
            ah, cool

Comment

Coolness. "My" keyboard player can read music but he can't pick out anything (accurately) by ear. Something like this would be a big help!
              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Pretty cool--downloading it right now to try it out. Thanks for the heads up, Rich_S!

Comment

Funny you should mention this. I was looking for orchestral software earlier and Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 appealed to me. I checked it out and saw they were now owned by MakeMusic - the same company that puts out Finale (also saw the blurb about Notepad being free, but forgot to go back and download it after getting Personal Orchestra and Jazz And Big Band 3).

The sounds are great in Orchestra and JAAB, and for $150 each, plus they integrate with each other, you can't beat it IMO.

Only thing I'd like it to have is a built-in arranger/sequencer.

Anyway, I got NotePad installed (and yes you can do tablature). GuitarPro is better, and you can still print, though it's probably going to have tab with it.
                  Last edited by DrNewcenstein; 02-27-2012, 05:35 AM.
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X