banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to learn an STP song and hoping for some help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to learn an STP song and hoping for some help???

Hi guys! I am learning Vasoline by STP for our cover band and I am embarrassed that I am struggling. He uses some odd chords like Alex Lifeson.
    Anyone know a good place to learn this song, solo as well? Most tab I find is horrible.

Sounds like this guy is playing it correctly but that intro chord and chord before the solo? These are the two things I can not figure out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUka0fJIVYM
    Thanks!
    Last edited by papersoul; 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM.

Re: Trying to learn an STP song and hoping for some help???

Try this: http://search.musicnotes.com/?q=Vaso...hl=n&x=16&y=41
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

The hardest chords are that weird intro chord and the chord immediately before the solo!

Comment

bump for help?

Comment

DeLeo uses some weird chords. Practice Practice Practice. It took me a while to get Interstate Love Song down back in the day. The verse chords have some good stretches.

Comment

Nowadays, I'll usually go to youtube and type in "how to play #### on guitar". You'll get a lot of crap, but usually you'll find someone who has got it right. By the way, rockin' tune.
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by lpmarshall View Post
              DeLeo uses some weird chords. Practice Practice Practice. It took me a while to get Interstate Love Song down back in the day. The verse chords have some good stretches.
              Playing the chords is not the hard part. It is figuring them out! LOL!

I tried Youtube but no luck.

Comment

This tab got some good ratings, if for some reason it blows just let me know and I'll figure out the chord by ear. I love me some STP and the odd chord structures had a big influence on me growing up.

Judging by the second tab, the chord should be (from high to low) X577X6.
                Last edited by That90'sGuy; 06-02-2012, 08:17 AM.
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

90s Guy, thanks brother! I was playing it X03330...or 66778. Doesn't sound perfect.

This guys seems to be playing it correctly but I can't find the notes.

Let me know if you get it by ear. It is the chord he is playing at the intro and right before the solo.

Comment

The Purple song book should be easy to find if you cannot figure it out.

That is my favorite STP song. Cool choice.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

According to the sheet music I posted it's a Bbmaj 13 chord. Is that not it?
                      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
                        90s Guy, thanks brother! I was playing it X03330...or 66778. Doesn't sound perfect.

This guys seems to be playing it correctly but I can't find the notes.

Let me know if you get it by ear. It is the chord he is playing at the intro and right before the solo.
                        To my ears it sounds pretty close to the tab I posted earlier. If I were to modify anything I'd let the high e ring out open instead of muting it. The 5th fret on the b string and open e string give it that ring that Dean has sounding in that one chord (the kind of ring that can only happen when two different strings are playing the same note). Considering heavy vibrato on the 6th fret with the low e opens the song, it doesn't surprise me that serves as one of the bass notes of that chord. It has a dissonant kinda vibe to it so if I were to play it, I'd play it as (low to high in standard) 6X7750. Granted I have no music theory, but I'm assuming it's something that starts with A# or Bb just based off of the root note.
                        Last edited by That90'sGuy; 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM.
                        Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                        Originally posted by Zerberus
                        Better is often the enemy of good
                        Originally posted by ginormous
                        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                          You posted sheet music? I saw a few links but they cost money and I am just trying to figure it out. . I will try that chord though.

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                            To my ears it sounds pretty close to the tab I posted earlier. If I were to modify anything I'd let the high e ring out open instead of muting it. The 5th fret on the b string and open e string give it that ring that Dean has sounding in that one chord (the kind of ring that can only happen when two different strings are playing the same note). Considering heavy vibrato on the 6th fret with the low e opens the song, it doesn't surprise me that serves as one of the bass notes of that chord. It has a dissonant kinda vibe to it so if I were to play it, I'd play it as (low to high in standard) 6X7750. Granted I have no music theory, but I'm assuming it's something that starts with A# or Bb just based off of the root note.
                            Thanks, I will try 6X7750, but that is much different from the tab you posted. I actually have that tab and some other tab I found.

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                              No way it is that chord. Even if it was a Bb-based chord, that prominent E in it would be the b5 of Bb...not in a Bbmaj 13 chord. Also, a Bbmaj 13 has a bunch of intervals in it that are not heard in that chord on the record. A major seventh, a ninth, and an 11th are not there, and I cannot hear the 5th and the third either (D and F). Some of those intervals can be dropped and you can still call it a maj 13 chord, but not all of them.

As for the notes I can actually discern clearly, a low A# and it's octave on one track, the G above that, the E above that, and the G above that. I cannot pick any other distinct note out, at least on my 1" computer speaker.

I'm thinking it is an incomplete G, Bb, or E diminished chord (partial because it has no C#). It depends on where you hear the root of the chord...and that is ambiguous, as there is no melody right there. But the songs settles into G eventually, and so I tend to hear the tonic as G, not A#. That is largely because that E note in the chord sounds distinctly like a 13th to me, not like a b5.

If it wasn't for that fact that there is no dominant 7th, I'd call it a G half diminished add 13.

But all that nonsense aside, the way I would play it would be, from 1st to 6th strings: 350XXX or 080X7X (or 3502XX). And I'd have someone else ring out those feeding back A# octaves. That is what they did on the record, with at least two tracks, probably three. Or, if you must do it alone, do: 080876 or 0808X6. (In the later version, dead the 5th string with your free middle finger.)

And I originally thought the chord in the end was different, but I don't think it is.

One other thing: Their guitarist often uses non-standard tunings, which probably make this chord a lot easier to play live without the benefit of multitracking.
                              Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X