banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to learn an STP song and hoping for some help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying to learn an STP song and hoping for some help???

If you're talking about the last chord in the song, the dissonant one this sounds right to me.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

The last chord on the record definitely has a G and an E in it, and definitely does not have a D# in it, or a low F. If it does have an A, it is a low A, which that chord chart shows muted. (I cannot tell if it is A or Bb, as it seems to be moving around a bit on the record.)

Play the chord in that chart along with the record. The only thing that sounds right in that chord is the high E string.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I don't have the record. I was just playing it to the YouTube video, I thought it sounded right.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I think parts of it are right and parts are not. FWIW, I don't know if my chord chart is right either!
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

So you guys don't think he is using standard tuning live? Ugh, not sure how to pull this off...

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
              Ugh, not sure how to pull this off...
              If you have another guitarist to play the A#'s:

080X7X
              350XXX
              3502XX (the most difficult of the lot)

If you need to include the A#'s in one guitar part:

0807X6
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Thanks man!

Comment

ITSABASS, are all those chords that I should be playing or can I pick and choose? Remember it is only the two chords I couldn;t figure out, the one at the intro and the one before the solo.

Comment

Maybe this will help you. By the way it's the same chord, intro, before the solo and ending.

Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 06-03-2012, 09:54 PM.
                    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Yep, same chord in all three places. Those things that I wrote down are just various options I could think of for playing "The Chord." I think the second to last or the last ones are the easiest and sound the best if you are the only guitarist.

And just because I wrote them doesn't mean they are correct. They are just the best that I can figure.

As for tunings, I don't know which ones he uses on which songs, but I do know that he makes use of non-standard tunings. Also, the album part you are learning definitely has multiple tracks (I think it is at least three), and maybe a light use of a chorus and/or vibrato pedal as well.

I am not the world's biggest STP fan, but IMO Dean DeLeo is one of the best musicians and most interesting guitarists to get into the mainstream as a member of a band in the past 30 years. I don't idolize him, but I highly respect his musicianship. He is a hard guy to copy, especially if you are trying to play the studio recordings with only one guitar part. His brother is a great bassist too.

P.S. I wrote them high E to low E, but I am sure you figured that out.

P.P.S. I thought of another one, and it is for the laziest of the lazy: 080XXX. Same notes as 350XXX, but a different inversion that only requires one fretted note. It'd work fine if you had someone else to play those A#'s.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-04-2012, 03:42 AM.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this, but Rocksmith says that that chord as an "Em7 (b5)/Bb" played 670780. It also has a second guitar adding 01xxxx (written out low to high e both times).
                        Guitars:
                        Agile AL 3000 (Custom/59 hybrid, stock neck)
                        Agile LP 2000 (A2Pro Set)
                        Fender JV Strat (Texas Hot bridge, Surfer N+M)

Amps:
                        5150, Bogner Shiva, JTM 45 Clone, Vox AD15VT

Cab: Avatar 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          If you have another guitarist to play the A#'s:

080X7X
                          350XXX
                          3502XX (the most difficult of the lot)

If you need to include the A#'s in one guitar part:

0807X6
                          No offense, I tried these chords and none of them even sound close to the recording. I am stuck.
                          This sounds closest and it works in the band setting...although not an exact match of what he is doing - x03330
                          Last edited by papersoul; 06-23-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

E---0
                            B---8
                            G---7
                            D---7
                            A---x
                            E---6
                            OR
                            E---0
                            B---5
                            G---7
                            D---7
                            A---x
                            E---6

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
                              No offense, I tried these chords and none of them even sound close to the recording. I am stuck.
                              This sounds closest and it works in the band setting...although not an exact match of what he is doing - x03330
                              They all sound fine to me. It's not offensive, just makes me think you are listening to something other than what I am listening to. Are you listening on a microscopic laptop speaker? If so, put some headphones on and crank them up. As I said, you need three guitarists to pull it off exactly like the record anyhow, so any single chord that attempts to do it will not sound ideal (but will certainly get the job done).

What I think is happening is that the notes I wrote are a decent replication of the notes on the record, but you are not able to play them the same way as they are played on the record all in one strum. On the record, they are split into at least three parts, with the note or two on each track played so that they can ring and feed back. Playing everything in one strum will sound very different. Personally, if things were ideal, I'd split that chord with another guitarist and/or keyboardist if I really wanted to bother to nail it. More than likely in the real world, I'd just come up with something that sounds good enough without needing to perfectly replicate the record.

All I know for sure is that I can hear a high E, two octaves of G, and two octaves of A# in it. There may be other notes that I cannot discern, but those five are definitely there, and that basically amounts to an incomplete diminished chord, which could be said to be based on E, G, or A#. Melodically speaking, E can be ruled out, so it's a G or A# diminished which is incomplete. If in doubt about what has been suggested here, I say just look up a A# diminished or a G diminished in one of those cheesy chord books and use whatever stock fingering they give you (but delete any C#s in the chord). It'll do the job for 99.9 percent of your audience.

Good luck. You'll figure something out if you don't like what has been offered. And if you don't, it's not a big deal anyhow. It's just a few chords in a short song, which all basically amount to dissonant noise anyhow.

P.S. You're not playing along with that You Tube version that has been raised half a step, are you?
                              Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM.
                              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

On a good stereo...this sounds correct:
                                E---0
                                B---8
                                G---7
                                D---7
                                A---x
                                E---6

Comment

Working...
                                X