Tungsten Crema Wheat Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten Crema Wheat Demo

This one's for T.O. who wanted to hear what the amp sounds like with an amateur playing through it

This is classic Americana... just some classic rock and roll riffs. Nothing fancy (I can't play fancy anyhow).

Gibson ES-335 into a Tungsten Crema Wheat (bright channel, volume at noon, high input for a bit less compression, tone at 3 o clock to give it a bit of definition). Geek stuff.... Royer R121 directly on the speaker cone, API 3124+ pre, Apogee Ensemble conversion, Logic 8, recorded at 88khz.

Leads were done with a Maxon AD999 Analog Delay.

I don't post much anymore because I don't really have much to contribute. This happens to be one song I started working on about a year ago, finally got the basic song structure down, now it just needs lyrics. The chorus is done, but the verses need some material. This one I'm calling "Won't Give Up On You".

Enjoy!
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Tungsten Crema Wheat Demo

Nice tones man....
    Sounds like a sweet thing!

Comment

Wow! That is pure Black Crowes tone ... thanks for posting, I really like it! This forum is the best one on these boards; don't ever feel like you don't have something to add to the mix, as it were.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

That is a smokin' hot rhythm tone!
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Very cool tones!

Comment

Great stuff man! I've been lusting after this amp since the Greg V demo, but I dont think it'd be loud enough for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
              Nice tones man....
              Sounds like a sweet thing!
              Thanks; that means a lot coming from you given your raw talent for cranking out great music

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              Wow! That is pure Black Crowes tone ... thanks for posting, I really like it! This forum is the best one on these boards; don't ever feel like you don't have something to add to the mix, as it were.
              Thanks; I'm absolutely terrible at procrastinating at, well, everything... so very few things come to fruition. I have another song recorded with guitar and vox, but I need to straighten out the bass line and the drums before it's ready. It never ends when you don't have a band to bounce ideas off of anymore. It's funny, I have a lot of Black Crowes records and I never thought about actively going after that sound, but now that you've brought it to my attention, you're absolutely right in that it does sound a lot like something Marc Ford would do.

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
              That is a smokin' hot rhythm tone!
              Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
              Very cool tones!
              Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
              Great stuff man! I've been lusting after this amp since the Greg V demo, but I dont think it'd be loud enough for my needs.
              Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it

One thing I cannot accurately emphasize is just how loud that amp was on "5" when it was recorded. Of course, for more headroom (I don't usually play with that much gain and compression), NOS preamp tubes would have been a better fit (the clip had 2 JJ ECC83S tubes in there, so a 12AY7 tube would have worked well to clean it up in the V1 position, too). This clip does at least showcase just how much grind and swirl you can get out of a modded 5e3 design, although at the expense of having a few extra dbs to contend with. Great for live, not so much for home recording without getting the significant other hollering.
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

Nice sounding breakup on that amp. Both the playing and tone remind me a lot of Rich Robinson.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Sweet - I have always loved the sound of that amp. Keep on writing!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    Nice sounding breakup on that amp. Both the playing and tone remind me a lot of Rich Robinson.
                    Wow, that's quite a compliment coming from you (a true caliber musician) - thank you very much! I know how much of a blues rock fan you are and I'm glad to hear you dug it. The timing needs some work and the whole thing got thrown up there with one take, so I'll have to keep developing the song and represent it when I've got the quirks ironed out.

Originally posted by macki View Post
                    Sweet - I have always loved the sound of that amp. Keep on writing!
                    Thanks a lot macki; I appreciate the writing comment . Truth be told a lot of the stuff I've written is more in the pop/funk vein, but a big part of me was raised on classic rock and roll (I'm a HUGE Tom Petty fan) so I like writing tunes like this.

Comment

Sounds real nice, damn fine playing too!
                      ]
                      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000 View Post
                        Sounds real nice, damn fine playing too!
                        Wow, thanks a lot Kevin! FWIW, I still have your Invasion From Planet K CD and rock out to it on occasion The great sounds you get from so much random equipment is just proof that tone is in the hands of the player - I think your straight ahead rock and roll mixed with funk is awesome and refreshingly original

Comment

Working...
                        X