DAW vs Drum VST Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAW vs Drum VST Challenge

Actually, the challenge is them against me.

I have a basic version of Toontrack EZ Drummer and have it recognized as a VST (probably the wrong lingo) in Reaper, but I can't figure out how to get a drum pattern on a track.

My lack of knowledge of all things MIDI is MAXI.

Can anyone familiar with Reaper explain to me in something resembling plain English how to lay down a drum track in Reaper?

Your cooperation and patience will be rewarded by the superpowers of recording in the digital domain.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: DAW vs Drum VST Challenge

haha

Select the track that you loaded EZ Drummer on, then make a time selection, then go to Insert -> MIDI Item.

once it's inserted, double click the item, and it'll open up a piano roll/midi sequencer and you can program stuff if you want.

Alternatively, if you want to use the EZ drummer loops, if I remember right, open the VST interface, navigate to the loops, and drag/drop into the track. (Pretty sure you don't need to do the insert MIDI item thing if you're going this route, although I haven't used EZ drummer in aeons so my memory is a bit rusty.

Comment

Sweet. Thank you. I'll try those methods!
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

dangit

Comment

lol what'd you do?

Comment

Nothing friuitful. I'm killing the pain with a porkchop and a beer. I'll try again Friday. I would be content to just record one of the groves that comes with EZ Drummer and I don't know how to make it happen. I'm out of time and energy tonight. It has been a long week at work already. Thanks again for your help. I'll try to track my steps next time and maybe it will start to make sense.

I really don't need (at this point) to put in a drum part hit by hit.

Comment

If I can find some time tomorrow I'll make a little screen capture video of myself loading up some drum beats + programming some beats. Hopefully that'll help you out.

It's actually pretty simple once you know how to do it.

Comment

Usually when I get stuck, I watch some egghead's walkthrough video on YouTube. After a few, the answer comes clear.

Comment

Awesome. That would be great.

In the long run that will be much better than my playing an EZ drummer groove through my monitors and then recording with a mic>interface>Reaper.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    Usually when I get stuck, I watch some egghead's walkthrough video on YouTube. After a few, the answer comes clear.
                    That's what I do for car and motorcycle repairs, too ... but usually when it comes to recording software or programming a keyboard I can't find demos dumbed down to my level.

Comment

Here you go buddy.

Excuse the one-sided audio, I had a mic sitting next to me so I could get my voice and the drums in the same file. Stupid screen capture software wouldn't let me take the sound from my outgoing stereo mix so I couldn't get the sound directly like that.

Comment

souper cool CTN!

Comment

In Cubase you can just set a track to the VST (EZ Drummer) then when EZ Drummer opens and you audition the pattern that you want, you can then drag and drop the 1 measure bar right into the track. Select then duplicate over and over to fill the track.
                          Originally posted by Ball&Chain
                          Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Comment

I'll work on it Friday or Saturday. Today was 15-1/2 hours work. Thanks to all.

Comment

Good stuff CTN
                              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Working...
                              X