banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which condenser mic for vocals? under $300.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: which condenser mic for vocals? under $300.

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
    The SM7 / SM7B really is a great microphone; my only concern is that it requires quite a bit of gain to reach optimum levels on quieter sources. I don't recall what you're using for an interface / preamp, but you may need something like a Cloudlifter or Fethead to boost the signal if your preamp is too noisy.
    thanks for the heads up dystrust, I have been using my shure sm58 to record through my presonus audiobox 22vsl with no preamp problems, so I am thinking the SM7B should be no problem.

here is my preamp info:

At PreSonus, we know that the mic preamplifier is a key component in the sonic quality of a recording. Many other companies that offer mobile recording interfaces add the cheapest possible microphone preamplifier as an afterthought. In contrast, the AudioBox 22VSL includes custom-designed, high-voltage, discrete, XMAX Class A microphone preamplifiers that are suitable for use with all types of microphones.
    The job of a microphone preamplifier in an audio interface is to boost a microphone-level signal to line level before conversion to the digital domain. A good preamp boosts the level to almost 400 times that of the original signal, making the preamp one of the most important stages in an interface. A cheap, off-the-shelf, op-amp-type mic preamp delivers thin, noisy, harsh results. But with XMAX preamps, the sonic quality is limited only by what microphone you plug into it.
    XMAX preamplifiers are built with three key elements:
    High Voltage. The XMAX preamplifier runs on power rails of 30V. Most off-the-shelf, op-amp-based designs run on power rails of 10V to 18V. Higher-voltage power rails deliver more headroom, deeper lows, smoother highs, and a richer overall sound.
    Discrete components—not op-amps. We only use genuine transistors, resistors, and capacitors. Op-amps add noise, coloration, and harshness to a signal. Our discrete design delivers ultra-low noise and transparency.
    Class A. Class A circuits have no crossover distortion and deliver purer, clearer, and more musical results than the Class AB designs that are found in many preamps.

The net result of the XMAX preamp design is high headroom, low noise, wide dynamic range, extended frequency response, and—most important—musicality and transparency, with smooth highs, solid deep lows, and everything in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
      Speaking of mics that are reputed to be great but aren't condensers, does anyone have an opinion of the large diaphram dynamics like the Heil PR35, PR31 or PR40?
      I have the PR30. It's fantastic for guitars and vocals. It's focused but broad and is an excellent primary mic for capturing guitar tone. If you want to mic up your amp and want to go with a simple one mic set up, I recommend it over the SM57 or e609 and so on.
      Last edited by El Dunco; 09-11-2015, 07:34 PM.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
        I have the PR30. It's fantastic for guitars and vocals. It's focused but broad and is an excellent primary mic for capturing guitar tone. If you want to mic up your amp and want to go with a simple one mic set up, I recommend it over the SM57 or e609 and so on.

... but what about recording situations where you would normally use a condenser?
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

If you are not married to the idea of a condenser, how about one of these? Though you may want to run it through a pre-amp.
          http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ribbo...bon-microphone

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
            ... but what about recording situations where you would normally use a condenser?
            Right, sorry. It doesn't quite have the same sparkly, detailed highs of a condensor but it does much more so than an ordinary dynamic. It's halfway between with the focus you would expect from a dynamic and some of the clarity and range of a condensor. It's more designed for instruments and I'm yet to try the 45 (similar designed but more geared towards vocals).
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

I don't think there is a dynamic mic made that has the same high frequency sensitivity and directionality as a condenser/capacitor mic.

The PR30's large diaphragm gives it a nice, smooth response way below an SM57, which starts to nosedive after 200Hz. The high frequency response of the PR30 and SM57 look practically the same on paper, so I would not be surprised if someone would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind test if they were high-pass filtered.

Consdenser mic's generally have a much wider frequency response, which gives them more 'weight' the low mids/bass and more 'air' in the high frequencies.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                I don't think there is a dynamic mic made that has the same high frequency sensitivity and directionality as a condenser/capacitor mic.

The PR30's large diaphragm gives it a nice, smooth response way below an SM57, which starts to nosedive after 200Hz. The high frequency response of the PR30 and SM57 look practically the same on paper, so I would not be surprised if someone would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind test if they were high-pass filtered.

Consdenser mic's generally have a much wider frequency response, which gives them more 'weight' the low mids/bass and more 'air' in the high frequencies.
                This, pretty much. You just can't truly match a condensor sound from a dynamic. They're constructed far too differently, but the Heil mics definitely do a great job in most applications you would want a cardioid pattern mic for. I still bet you I can pick the PR30 vs a 57 with the hi-pass. Those frequency charts aren't all that accurate. They smooth them a fair bit to make them look flatter than they are.

Comment

There's a reason a lot of vocal tracks are double-mic'ed...
                  "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                    There's a reason a lot of vocal tracks are double-mic'ed...
                    I like to use a condensor with an old harmonica mic. Has a vintage character and is fairly confined to the presence range which is perfect for giving a bit of extra something to the sweet spot to the voice. If I'm recording a band wanting a more retro sound, if the vocals are too hi-fi it's harder to get it to fit together without it sounding like it was tracked later.

Comment

ive had a pr35 for a few years and i love it as a vocal mic or on a guitar cab. flatter and clearer than a 58 or 57 with better low end clarity. its not the same as a condenser but in the studio its very nice in the mix

Comment

Working...
                      X