Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Tips for Electric Guitar Recording

Hey everyone,

I've just penned an article about recording electric guitars / amps. I thought people here might find it interesting and useful:

5 Hot Tips for Amazing Electric Guitar Recordings

I know there are plenty of articles about recording guitars on the web, many more comprehensive than mine, but what I've tried to do is distill the core principles of making great electric guitar recordings into a straight-forward little article.

Hope you find it useful! Comments welcome

Nick

---
    One Flight Up | Recording Studios Sydney

Re: 5 Tips for Electric Guitar Recording

Cool!

Welcome to teh Forum!
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Welcome!

The arrticle is pretty bare bones and doesn't really cover anything that isn't common knowledge these days.

In my opinion, it would have been far more interesting to know WHY an SM57 is an ideal mic for recording electric guitar: it's steep rolloff under 200Hz, it's dip right where most vocals and drums live, and boost at about 5kHz.

Reliability and price are good reasons, but not the be all end all when recording...

Just my 2 cents!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! And cool idea with the amp in the tile bathroom! Any clips you can post of that recording?

Comment

Welcome, sir.

There is a section of the forum called Tips and Clips which is more geared toward recording. You might ask a moderator to move this thread.
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
            Welcome!

The arrticle is pretty bare bones and doesn't really cover anything that isn't common knowledge these days.

In my opinion, it would have been far more interesting to know WHY an SM57 is an ideal mic for recording electric guitar: it's steep rolloff under 200Hz, it's dip right where most vocals and drums live, and boost at about 5kHz.

Reliability and price are good reasons, but not the be all end all when recording...

Just my 2 cents!
            Agreed. Also hate how they somehow were able to bring hendrix into it haha.

Another thing to note is that sometimes what sounds good on it's own won't sound good in a mix, and for most people a 57 will come off as 'harsh' at first...until they realize that's whats making it cut through in the mix.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Good advice. I have always wondered what the difference was when it was mic'd in the center versus the outside edges of the amp....
              sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for checking out the article and for your replies.

First off, I apologize if I've posted this thread in the wrong place. I'm still new here

Twilight Odyssey - I wouldn't exactly call the points in the article "common knowledge". For engineers and some musicians, sure, but there are many, many musicians just starting off down the road of recording themselves. The article was aimed at people in that situation, who just want some key basics so they can make a decent recording. You're right: there's a world of possibilities in terms of microphone choice, combinations, placements, mixing techniques and so forth. But best to start with an old faithful like a 57 and go from there.

Great point Kamanda - it's always best to judge a sound in context - in the mix, rather than solo'd. Great point. Sorry for mentioning Hendrix

And lastly, thanks for all the Welcomes

All the best,

Nick
                http://www.oneflightup.com.au

Comment

I was also familiar with everything covered, but I appreciate its usefulness for others. Nice post!

Comment

Working...
                  X