banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laying down tracks and I broke a string...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying down tracks and I broke a string...

...that was probably 6-10 years old. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I've seen my string-winder?

The struggle is real, kids.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Re: Laying down tracks and I broke a string...

My deepest sympathies for your anguish!
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

At least it wasn't a nail!

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
        ...that was probably 6-10 years old. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I've seen my string-winder?
        Not quite as long as it's been since I've seen a 6-10 year old string.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Ye Gods, what strings are you using that they'd last six to ten years?
          Stainless steel .020"-.092"?
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

EB SuperSlinky 9s. And roughly 30 guitars so I'm not wearing one out all the time. But when they do start going, they're going together, I'm afraid.

I finally did find the string winder. I forgot this particular guitar has Sperzels on it, so I didn't really need it :P

Cleaned and oiled the board, put on new strings, the high E slips out of the Floyd saddle. Detune, re-set the string, retune, same string breaks at the tuner.

New string from another set, put the rest of the pack with all the other 11-42 5-string sets I've got.

Works great. Now I gotta get my video capture stuff up and rolling so I can film the tracking (something I always wanted to do).
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

Laying down tracks and I broke a string...

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
              New string from another set, put the rest of the pack with all the other 11-42 5-string sets I've got.
              I finally broke down and bought these... and they work pretty good.

Get the guaranteed best price on Single Electric Guitar Strings like the Rogue P9 Bulk 009 Plain Steel Electric Guitar Strings 12-Pack at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...
              Originally posted by The Commodores?
              "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Good idea to stock up on extra high E's. I've had strings last extremely long on guitars that didn't get played very often, or only were played around the house. It's gigging that kills 'em. My sweat is pretty corrosive and I sweat a lot onstage. 3 hours is max stage time for a set of .010s, even being wiped down after each use. After that they can't be counted on.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                  I finally broke down and bought these... and they work pretty good.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...guitar-strings
                  I don't know if they're listed online, but Guitar Center sells D'Addario singles if you're looking for something a bit more upscale than Rogue strings. They're probably not quite so cheap tho.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I cannot stand D'Addario plain strings. They feel like they're hexagonal instead of round. Come to think of it, I don't care for their wound strings, either.

I thought about doing the bargain-brand bulk strings, but it's actually pretty rare that I do break a string (kinda comes with not changing them every month).
                    My Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X