volbeat tone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volbeat tone??

I just started getting into volbeat and LOVE the tone they have.. Very heavy but crisp. REALLY the remake of I Only Wanna to be with you...

More info here: https://lnk.to/VolbeatMLGMultiple Danish Metal Award winning Volbeat Video for I Only Wanna Be With You of the album: The Strength/The Sound/...

Im guessing based on the back line and style they play, it's marshall and little else. Any input?
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: volbeat tone??

Reminds me of the early valvestate tones.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Tubescreamer into Marshalls. http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-play...-and-equipment

And if you think the video is cool, go see them!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BadBen View Post
        Tubescreamer into Marshalls. http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-play...-and-equipment

And if you think the video is cool, go see them!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
        Thanks BadBen! Actually, I did see them a few years back.. They were part of the Welcome to Rockville lineup that came to Jax Fla. Was the first time Id heard them, And I thought they were pretty cool then. But, back to normal routines and bands.... Kinda forgot about em again til recently..,
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

We played with them in the Netherlands on a smaller festival when their very first album came out containing this track, 2005-2006 or so. They had Laney VH100R heads with some (not too many) pedals that I did not care much about. Yep I can recall a greenish box on the floor. With the same SG-GT guitar + JB bridge it pumped out the exact same sound as in your example. Even back in time, they played + sounded über cool and anyone could tell that they will make it big. Really cool guys, too.

I wasn't surprised when they opened up for AC DC in 2011 (Wels airport / Germany). By that time they used Marshalls as I can recall (from the distance) and some shiny plate amps, maybe Engl. I can't tell, it was far.

Through the PA the sound was not nearly as beefy as their Laneys. AC/DC washed them off soundwise.
          Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-11-2016, 12:35 PM.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

I frickin' love Volbeat, especially their earlier stuff (the new stuff is awesome, too, just different).

Michael Poulsen has pretty much always been Gibson guitars > EQ/Noise Gate > Marshall. His guitars were stock early on (490R/498T), but he switched to JBs in the bridge of most of them several years ago. His overall rig really hasn't changed a whole lot over time other than some of the specific rack gear and the model of Marshall he uses.

Franz Gottschalk (in the video you posted) was an LP/EMG guy, usually playing ESP Eclipses, into Marshalls. However, I saw a picture of him using a Mesa Boogie, at least on tour, toward the end, along with some Marshall rack effects, if I recall correctly.

Bredahl (starting with Guitar Gangsters) was similar. Les Paul > EQ/Noise Gate > Marshall or Mesa Boogie. His setup really wasn't much different than Gottschalk's, probably so he didn't stray too far from that sound. I believe he swapped the stock bridge pickup in his main white LP for a JB sometime around the Beyond Hell album, but I also saw him using a black LP (may have been an ESP Eclipse...the memory's a bit hazy) with EMGs when I saw him play with Volbeat in early 2011, before he left the band.

Pretty sure pedals have pretty much been limited to a tubescreamer and a wah for the most part.

Either way, their formula has always been pretty darn simple and built for straight up rock!

Comment

Sounds a lot like Hetfield's tone to me
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I think Rob Caggiano, their current lead guitarist, uses Fryettes
                Epiphone Explorer w/ SD Distortions
                Charvel Desolation Soloist w/ EMG 81/85
                Squier Standard HH Strat

Comment

I had never heard them before -- that was cool. I like his voice.
                  Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                  Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                  Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                  Marshall 1960a
                  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by AmirH View Post
                    I had never heard them before -- that was cool. I like his voice.
                    Me too! I like singers that have a lower register like that. And its nice to hear singing too and not just growling. Plus again, love that crunchy heavy tone and the fact it still has a "crispness" to it.. Getting kind of burned out on hear downtuned 20 string guitars chugging so low it makes my intestines rattle..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Agreed! I think I would have stopped listening it he had started growling. I do like how tight the tone is as well. Good thrash sound.
                      Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                      Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                      Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                      Marshall 1960a
                      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Working...
                      X