Advancing through the next plateau?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advancing through the next plateau?

So most of my life I've been a rhythm guitarist. Never taken lessons or learned to read music at any sort of a serious level, I learned pieces of music written by someone else by tab or by sight.

This year I've been writting a lot more songs. In the last month or so I can tell I'm getting ready to move on to a new level of ability. I don't have to sit and hammer on the guitar for hours anymore to get riffs or songs to sound right. I can hear what the next note needs to be in my head and just hit it without having to think and can move around pretty well up to the 12th fret without much difficulty. I don't hit the next correct note in a sequence all the time the first time through, but I'm getting close.

My goal this year is to move into more of a lead guitar style of player. Right now my hands and ears on on the same page so I think the time to transition into this type of player is now. Plus I think my finger and picking speed is not an issue anymore.

What would you all suggest to keep the ball rolling here? A few people have recommended Gibson's, Master Guitar course but I've always been hesitant to learn by a particular method and have it shape my style too much. I suspect a little knowledge of theory could boost my speed in getting there though. What's my next best move?

Re: Advancing through the next plateau?

If you can play what you hear in your head, you are well on your way. Now, start listening to people that impress you. Pay particular attention to cadence, phrasing and dynamics.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Start learning solos from records. That's just step one, but it's the best first step. No tab! Ears only.

Comment

Learn the 5 positions or modes of the pentatonic scale if you haven't already, and how to use them for major or minor. To me that's the theoretic basis for melodic guitar playing.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

A good teacher, and a steady diet of live music. There are also tons of books of technique exercises to help your fingers move as fast as your brain.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The best guitar player I know suggests learning a whole song ... not just the lead or a lick or a riff. Learn the guitar part all the way through the song and you'll develop more skills than you intended.
            I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
              The best guitar player I know suggests learning a whole song ... not just the lead or a lick or a riff. Learn the guitar part all the way through the song and you'll develop more skills than you intended.
              I would second this. If you hit a part you can't play stop RIGHT THERE, turn that bit into an exercise, and play nothing else until you have it. I can remember spending 3-5 hours a day playing a certain very difficult lick over and over for better than a month, and sometimes that's what it'll take. Don't skimp on this step.

Comment

Don't lose your love for playing. Even if you don't get any better than you are now. Just keep doing it. It can get awfully quiet when you stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  Don't lose your love for playing. Even if you don't get any better than you are now. Just keep doing it. It can get awfully quiet when you stop.

I would amend that to never stop playing AND never stop getting better. You know what you want to achieve as a player; deep down everybody wants to be badass. You owe it to yourself to get the skill level you want. I'm 43 and have been a working musician most of my adult life and I still never let a day go by without practicing for at least an hour. I mean practicing as in focused work on skill development... the time I spend on gig prep and rehearsals and whatever else does not count. That's just being at work. You owe it to yourself to be a better musician tomorrow than you are today. Every day.

Comment

Well, sometimes, you hear yourself playing the same thing, over and over. And you don't even think that you're getting better.
                    Keep playing anyway.

Comment

Oh, and record yourself..a lot. And listen to it later in the day, and again a week later. You will hear progress if you consistently work on new things. You can also better identify things to work on.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Recording my stuff is one thing I'm pretty good about when I'm working on arraignment. Later in the day with fresh ears I can hear what the alternatives could or should be. Never thought to implement it into a moveable bar for skill progression.

It's kind of hard to remove myself for the mindset of constantly working on solid rhythm tracks and start exploring possibilities for lead lines. It's uncomfortable so I get 1/4 of something worked up have a hard time closing the line back into the notes that will comprise the next part of the next riff, get frustrated and table it and play stuff that makes me sound good, when that's the time I should probably be nose to the grindstone. I like to jam and sound good vs. making my brain work haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
                          Recording my stuff is one thing I'm pretty good about when I'm working on arraignment. Later in the day with fresh ears I can hear what the alternatives could or should be. Never thought to implement it into a moveable bar for skill progression.

It's kind of hard to remove myself for the mindset of constantly working on solid rhythm tracks and start exploring possibilities for lead lines. It's uncomfortable so I get 1/4 of something worked up have a hard time closing the line back into the notes that will comprise the next part of the next riff, get frustrated and table it and play stuff that makes me sound good, when that's the time I should probably be nose to the grindstone. I like to jam and sound good vs. making my brain work haha.
                          I think I see your problem... don't try to do this initially with original material. LEARN some solos before you try to compose them. Early Kiss is a good start; a one-armed monkey could play most of that stuff and you'll get a sense of how a solo sits within a songs overall structure.

Comment

Good advice here. I'll add play lead to something like JamTracksChannel on YouTube to practice your lead on various styles.

Also, try to get out and play with people–practicing or performing. This will really help develop your lead playing, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            X