Definition Of Insanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition Of Insanity

Unbelievable the gyrations they went through...

Mike Shipley

Re: Definition Of Insanity

Great article. For those wanting more check out his Q&A's on Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-mike-shipley/)
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Though both Def Leppard albums have a distinct style, for sure, it's really the songwriting that made those albums. It sounds like it was just an exhaustive walk-fest working on those albums and they are the very definition of 'over produced'.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

BANANAS. Absolutely BANANAS.

Comment

Even today, when I hear a tune from Hysteria or Pyromania on the radio or computer I am amazed at how good the production sounds. I chalk it all up to Mutt, of course - but I can imagine the torture of the band members working on an album for over a year.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
            Though both Def Leppard albums have a distinct style, for sure, it's really the songwriting that made those albums. It sounds like it was just an exhaustive walk-fest working on those albums and they are the very definition of 'over produced'.
            Mutt had a big hand in songwriting as well, which is why they left the drums until the end so they could change the arrangements all they wanted. Over produced? Yeah. But it's the best kind of overproduced, if it wasn't for the pain staking tediousness of it, it would not sound nearly as good

Comment

I don't know if those albums ever sounded good to me, but they certainly are unique. Everyone has their methods, I guess. It is amazing they got the record companies to go along with it. It would never happen today.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I don't know if those albums ever sounded good to me, but they certainly are unique. Everyone has their methods, I guess. It is amazing they got the record companies to go along with it. It would never happen today.
                Very True. That's the power Mutt had/ has though. He didn't let any record execs in. When they first heard it they didn't like it...even the first guy the sent it to called it 'unmasterable' so then he sent it to Bob Ludwig (THE mastering guy in case those of you don't know) and the rest is history.

Comment

I find the term "commercial distortion" interesting:

Because of the nature of the way that band played, and the inversions they used, it was very hard to get the right – what Mutt had in his head as – "commercial distortion." We had hundreds of amps and cabinets in that studio; from AC/DC amps, to little combos, to big stacks. Everything you could think of. We spent weeks and weeks trying to get a commercial sound for those inversions, rather than the [raw] crunchy, distorted sound. I'm pretty sure we ended up with just a little Marshall combo amp after we'd tried everything. It's funny, because after a while you get so fatigued that nothing ever sounds good enough. But we had to start recording at a certain point, so we found a good combination that worked, and used condenser mics, [Neumann U] 87s and [Neumann U] 67s, on the amplifiers.
                  So, the next album (Hysteria), they used Rockmans.

Comment

If the fresh-out-of-the-box tapes were shedding oxide after so many passes of overdubs and mixes, imagine the beating the tape machines were getting.
                    Ho. Lee.
                    sigpic
                    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                    Originally posted by Lewguitar
                    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Reading this article, I find it interesting from a 'we have endless resources, let's see what we can do' point of view. It is like a kitchen sink analogy.
                      However, any great producer, working with a great band, and great songs doesn't need 100 overdubs of detuned handclaps to make a hit. Yes, it is unique. But it also seems like they could have done it for less than $14 million.

Comment

I always liked stuff that sounds like it was recorded live on an 8 track in one take.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Mincer - Certainly agree. Seems like it's what they all wanted to achieve. I mean, look at the AC/DC albums Mutt did...pretty much the opposite of how those DL albums sound.

Comment

One thing I think the Def Leppard albums fail to achieve is timelessness. They sound *really* of their time. Contrast that with AC/DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              One thing I think the Def Leppard albums fail to achieve is timelessness. They sound *really* of their time. Contrast that with AC/DC.
                              I think the guitar tone on High n Dry is one for the ages... e.g. one of the best ever.

Just like AC/DC's Back In Black (Mutt Lange again; previously).

Comment

Working...
                              X