Licks Guitarist or makie uppie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licks Guitarist or makie uppie?

So are you guys a more of lick oriented guitar player or do u more or less make up ur path around the fretboard on the spot.

I know theres an unholy amount of exercises and patterns you'd have to get down of course before mastering the latter, but which one do you do?
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Re: Licks Guitarist or makie uppie?

I'm of the latter type. When I go for a solo, it's pretty much off the cuff.

Most times it works, but there's times I just want to hide.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Makie uppie, but sometimes if I give a piece a good few listens through first I find certain licks I know I definitely want to work in at certain points.
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I just make it up as I go..

Comment

Haven't made up a solo in a long time. Always improvising can lead to some real howlers onstage, but I love the challenge.
          Originally posted by Jolly
          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Make up...although you always end up throwing licks in anyways, so it's hard to tell 1 or the other.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

There are certain licks I seem to try on 'autopilot' but I try to make up most of my stuff as I go along. I spent a while practising recognizing intervals, so now if I hear a melody in my head, I can usually play most of the melody I hear in my head.

Comment

The Chuck Berry style licks always seem to show up in mine.But I do try to follow the chords.
                One thing I'm wanting to try is to make up the solo before I play it.
                MMM... BURGER

Comment

Both. Well, kinda both. In a best case scenario, I'm playing outside of scales that I know will work, but it usually doesn't work that way. I start with licks, or at least scales that I know to work, and alter from there.
                  Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

The more that I think about this... So, some of you guys just grab a random note and play a series of random notes after that? Surely, unless you're a beginning player, you start, at the least, in the key of the song and play a pentatonic scale. Right, or am I missing something?
                    Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                      The more that I think about this... So, some of you guys just grab a random note and play a series of random notes after that? Surely, unless you're a beginning player, you start, at the least, in the key of the song and play a pentatonic scale. Right, or am I missing something?
                      Nah unless Clapton or EV posted and i'm not aware of it . From what you said in your previous post you sound more of a makie uppie. You still have to use scales etc etc but were going with the chord progression an feel to determine what were gonna play
                      Last edited by y2stevo; 11-26-2005, 06:48 AM.
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

if you makie uppie enough you end up with certain things you keep putting in without realising it, i gues they are known as licks.
                        for the most part i try and just jump on in with a note, wich is usualy a wrong one, but from there its easy to know what the right one is (its usualy one fret higher or lower than the wrong one).
                        after a few bars of fair gueswork i can usualy tell what key its in and which scale or mode i should be using.

thie thing i love best about doing this is that when youv been playing over a fairly repetative riff or chord progretion you get the hang of it and your melodys start sounding better and better, but when an awkward or unexpected chord is thrown in, maby a key change or such and your halfway through a lick you know will sound good, you have to change it. and fast!!!
                        hopfully resolving your little tune before the next awkward chord change.
                        that to me is heaven!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shred me good
                          if you makie uppie enough you end up with certain things you keep putting in without realising it, i gues they are known as licks.
                          for the most part i try and just jump on in with a note, wich is usualy a wrong one, but from there its easy to know what the right one is (its usualy one fret higher or lower than the wrong one).
                          after a few bars of fair gueswork i can usualy tell what key its in and which scale or mode i should be using.

thie thing i love best about doing this is that when youv been playing over a fairly repetative riff or chord progretion you get the hang of it and your melodys start sounding better and better, but when an awkward or unexpected chord is thrown in, maby a key change or such and your halfway through a lick you know will sound good, you have to change it. and fast!!!
                          hopfully resolving your little tune before the next awkward chord change.
                          that to me is heaven!!!
                          I was kind of thinking that myself aswell, even if you're a makie uppie kinda improviser,but if you really know your applied theory etc etc like the back of your hand(which i do not claim to at all ) you will use certian "licks" but mabye one parts of thing you know that will work ,but i guess when you get to a point of mastering improvising you don't even have to think aboutwhat you want to play, you just play what you hear in your head..

Just listen to any of thos fusion guys, like Greg howe etc etc!
                          Marshall JVM 410C
                          Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

If I just improvise, I usually end up playing around in circles and it always sounds the same . If I write a song, I will usually do a little recording of it first and jam to that and work out a set solo.

Of course, If I'm just jammin with someone there is nothing to do but improvise!
                            Danny Jenkins
                            Metal Official Band Page - Facebook
                            motiongraphics.com.au

Comment

To answer the question: Yes.
                              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                              X