My Favorite Seymour Duncan Pickup Sounds So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favorite Seymour Duncan Pickup Sounds So Far

I am not sure if this belongs here but I wanted to share my favorite Duncan pickup sounds I have recorded.

SD Custom with a 250k pot in an all mahoghany body Ibanez SZ. Low gain Marshall sound with a two Marshall B cab blend with Greenbacks and 75 watters. Not a good mix or song writing but you can hear the guitar. Probably my favorite sound with these pups.

81 Ibanez Blazer with a Distortiion bridge coil split with the tone slightly rolled off. Fender Super Sonic on the Vibrolux channel volume up till overdrive happens into a Marshall B cab with greenbacks. Not a good mix or song writing but you can hear the guitar. Not sure if you have ever heard how well these split or just heard the tales. My ears say "yes, sounds quite good" your results may vary.

81 Ibanez Blazer and a Mayhem set into a Marshall amp and a blend of greenback and 75 watters in B cabs. The beginning is all SD Distortion neck, I love the sound here. The other sounds are a tele with a Flalin split pole pup blended in with the distortion bridge in the Blazer and a back and forth between the two in the middle section(bridge). Not a good mix or song writing but you can hear the guitar.

Feel free to delete this if this is deemed to be an inappropriate post or in the wrong forum.
    If this is good, post some of your favorites too.
    Last edited by Jeffsmusic4919; 05-12-2021, 06:07 PM.

Definitely the right forum spot. I'll give a listen after dinner.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds good thru my cheap cans! That third clip makes me wonder why years ago I got rid of my Seymourizer II.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

The mix is fine. Are you playing all the tracks? Drums and bass? If so, not to shabby.

Comment

Sounds very good, nice mix ox top, bottom and sizzle.

I listened on studio reference monitors
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            The mix is fine. Are you playing all the tracks? Drums and bass? If so, not to shabby.
            I played bass, programed and used the sampled drums on the first track in Steven Slate Drums 5 free. The second two were programmed in another free program and use SSD5 samples. SSD5 is clearly the most realistic feeling beats in my mind and also better sounding samples. I had to chop up samples and rearrange,change velocities, add/take away, kick drum hits, tom hits, snare hits and cymbals.
            Last edited by Jeffsmusic4919; 05-13-2021, 05:14 PM. Reason: sentence structure

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              Sounds very good, nice mix ox top, bottom and sizzle.

I listened on studio reference monitors
              The first one was mixed on Kali LP 8 and the second/third ones were mixed on home stereo speakers. I am a live sound guy for years and haven't mixed a studio project in 15 years or more. I have never mixed in the box before this group of 17 songs. Most songs were written or finished written from just a riff idea and recorded in one day. Rough mixes were finished on the same day as well. No vocals and mostly no solos either. Just demos in hope somebody likes them enough I can do rewrites with them and finish/record these in a pro studio hopefully mostly live from the floor. I think this: https://soundcloud.com/jeffsmusic4919/our-time is probaby my best mix so far and my latest mix too. There are some mix buss compression issues and I didn't program the automated faders well in spots, like the snare and others. I blended an Evo2 loaded guitar with a Transition loaded guitar in split coil mode with one another. A little to much single coil blended in there probably. This one has a solo too, '98 Les Paul Studio with stock pickups. I really didn't want to post the song as there isn't any Duncans on this track. Hopefully I get better, there certainly is an art to it.

Comment

My favourite SD pickup sounds, have always come from either the CC, or the Invader . Or the Jerry Donahue Tele pickup. One of those three :o. Believe me or not...
                If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I like the sounds a lot. You really utilized those pickups' strengths.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Best JB (JBJ from the 80s) recorded tone I've done so far, although I need to tweak the limiting/compression:

The JB is a great for rhythm, but it really shines on solos with its natural upper midrange bump.

This is in an alder strat with only a 500K volume pot, no tone.

Last edited by LLL; 05-26-2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                      Best JB (JBJ from the 80s) recorded tone I've done so far, although I need to tweak the limiting/compression:

The JB is a great for rhythm, but it really shines on solos with its natural upper midrange bump.

This is in an alder strat with only a 500K volume pot, no tone.

You nailed the sound and mix for this style music. The guitar sounds a bit loud and the bass guitar up a little. That is kinda par for the course for this kind of music though. I see what you are saying about the compression limiting. I started to use a SSL style compressor and standard mix buss settings are a good starting point. It is an art after all but my mixes got more glued together, to use an over used phrase. I need to practice this more, it can really make or break a mix sometimes.

Good work, as with anything practice make better. Just don't spend to much time without taking a break, things can get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        I like the sounds a lot. You really utilized those pickups' strengths.
                        Well, I tried to use the pickups, guitar, amp and mic technique and song style as a symbiotic undertaking. I am lucky enough to have options that make it easier. I suck at many things, maybe even my music but playing to your strengths helps, just don't get complacent and not put in the work. I need to take my own advice sometimes.

Comment

Those all sound great. I'm blown away by how good the Distortion bridge coil split sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                            Those all sound great. I'm blown away by how good the Distortion bridge coil split sounds.
                            Yeah, I like it a lot. Does it sound like a regular single coil, probably not. It seemed like the right tool for the job though.

Comment

Decending is really cool. I found myself singing Pearl Jam-style lyrics over the top and it really jams in that style.

I really like the sounds you got in the clips above. Nice work!

Comment

Working...
                              X