banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your thought process when you're soloing over changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I love reading peoples thoughts on this -great thread
    WAT.

Comment

I pretty much try to get out of my fingers what I hear in my head . I've been playing music since I was 7, but to be honest I've been lazy about theory. I pretty much play by ear. Sometimes I dont really think about it. I just play.

Comment

I don’t think about the chords or notes I’m going to play. I listen to the changes and hear ideas in my head. Then I try to play those. I never think of notes on the fretboard, just intervals. I know what a whole step or a fifth sounds like, so I know how to play them.

Of course we all have certain patterns we do, but I try to not do the obvious and get out of my own way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, my goal is to have none...the more thought that goes into it the more it slows me down or increases the chances of me ****ing up. I prefer to rely entirely on instinct/feel.
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
            I just sweep pick and arpeggiate the entire neck of the guitar as fast as possible so that no matter what key or change may occur I am there at lightning speed. I am so fast and precise that I lull the listener in with my virtuoso technique and 24 fret stretch capabilities. They deserve it so I give them every possible note because less isn't more. Less is less.
            This.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

The op isn't 'how do you guys wank nonsense with 1 shape + ur ear regardless of the changes like you have your whole life.' I wasn't curious about how that's done.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Why not?

Youtube

Comment

Cuz I focus on jazz.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

I wuv jazz....just waiting for the right guitar.

Then it's time for deep thought & contemplation as I change sweet chords & solo mindfully over them...and twiddle with all the knobs

Youtube

Comment

Lol
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Sometimes you can get more from observing others: check how these two masters hit the changes. If you listen closely you can see some of the tips mentioned in this thread:

Comment

That was cookin.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Second guy really proved "less is more"

Youtube

Comment

My thought process is to not think.

Comment

Theory is king. Attempting to concoct virtuoso style solos from gut feeling and blues scale alone is akin to composing a Phd dissertation in a foreign language with language skills limited to everyday conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X