banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your thought process when you're soloing over changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    It goes like this:

”Sounds like E, E blues it is!”
    ”ooh that note doesn’t sound good. Let’s bend.”

In all seriousness playing the changes is something I was trying to do, but I never got very far.
    The let's bend is a great trick. I also like to play again the wrong note a few times to justify it while I figure out how to resolve it. Sometimes the chord changes and you're saved.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      It goes like this:

”Sounds like E, E blues it is!”
      ”ooh that note doesn’t sound good. Let’s bend.”

In all seriousness playing the changes is something I was trying to do, but I never got very far.
      I also do things like: This solo sounds like I should bend here, so I will completely avoid it. Or, its in E? Let's avoid the 1st and 12 positions. Sometimes taking out the most obvious (or What Every Guitar Player Would Do) leads to some interesting places.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thought process? Sheet. Talk to me after a few beers and I loosen up. I fire all my guns at once, then explode into space.

Comment

You guys are a bit belligerent and anti-intellectual but you've actually offered way more wisdom than the guys on the jazz forum lol. They're scrooged over there.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            You guys are a bit belligerent and anti-intellectual but you've actually offered way more wisdom than the guys on the jazz forum lol. They're scrooged over there.
            Hold my beer while I go there.

Comment

Lol
              I bought them for you

Comment

Came back. Yeah, a bit rough. That's why I like it here. Lol

There's a few good folks that hopefully will contribute. I'll bump it in the morning.

Comment

It's not a big deal. I know what I'm doing with how to build solos. I have too many devices in my head to even have the time to practice. The main thing I was wondering is when it comes to what notes to draw on, does anyone use a device other than trying to outline the changes or just using a broad parent key/scale or key center scale.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                      The let's bend is a great trick. I also like to play again the wrong note a few times to justify it while I figure out how to resolve it. Sometimes the chord changes and you're saved.
                      Haha, I don't remember where I heard it . . . but a long time ago someone told me that if you play a bad note the best thing to do is play it again a few times to make it seem like you meant to do it. :P
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Since a great deal of what I do is straight improv I try to find a melody line that is some thing a vocalist could sing. Also try and remember less is more and to stay in the pocket.
                        Example would be this .Absolutely no idea where we were going find a key and flow with it. Have played many 2 hour sets with several folks like this. Also in the video note the droning sound from the girl with the real rams horn Shofar playing it in tune still don't know who she was. PS selling this guitar was one of the stupidest things I have ever done. It was a Peavey Geration S1 and was a monster. Made a killing on it as it was a Pawn Shop rescue but man I miss it!!

Last edited by Ascension; 08-13-2021, 07:21 AM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Couple more examples of straight up spontaneous improv live Worship sessions with different folks. We rarely have any idea where we are going till we get there.
                          This one got a little aggressive at times

Little more flowing and sweet session.

Thought process stay in the pocket add to and flow with the melody line as it evolves.
                          Here we got off track and had a trainwreck. I had to force the issue with this simple pattern to get things back on track then as things developed back off and just flow with where it went when the rest of the band kicked in.
                          Last edited by Ascension; 08-13-2021, 08:02 AM.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

It's not a big deal. I know what I'm doing with how to build solos. I have too many devices in my head to even have the time to practice. The main thing I was wondering is when it comes to what notes to draw on, does anyone use a device other than trying to outline the changes or just using a broad parent key/scale or key center scale.
                            Well my jazz teacher would have said you anticipate the chord change and either
                            emphasize a note in that chord to highlight the chord change
                            don't emphasize a note in the chord to downplay the chord change

And literally play a different scale for every chord change

Do a bunch of modulation around the circle of fifths with the scale changes (next chord is a Cmaj7, so let's switch over to a Gmaj scale, heyo)

There's nearly always lead charts with chord changes in the jazz world. Lots of cats will make their own charts. Jazz players aren't expected to memorize music
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Yeah, I try to outline the changes and then will bail back to the key center if I lose the progression. I memorize the tunes that I work on. I don't like a lot of tunes with all 2 changes per bar.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

I love reading peoples thoughts on this -great thread.

So, I listen through a few times and then let my brain visualize some sounds and passages before tinkering on the fretboard usually.

I don't typically let scale pattern option under the chords lead my approach, which honestly makes me less spontaneous with sounds when playing with people, but ultimately I think it makes me more creative because I'm building sound ideas internally and then applying them to where I know they can exist on the fretboard.

Because of this, I'm great in the studio with interesting ideas, but also not as good at wanking for long periods like I'm some kind of virtuoso type player with solos
                                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                                X