banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your thought process when you're soloing over changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your thought process when you're soloing over changes?

Developing your personal worldview for how you approach soloing over changes is a long process to get to be able to do it well and intuitively. What thought processes do you use for how to frame what notes to hit?

For me, I start by trying to outline each change. If I lose sight of that, I'll have in my head as a backup, the general key of the song or section that I can use to make notes fit. The end goal for me is to string together phrases that build on each other rather than only hitting each chord with disregard for the shape of the solo. However, I want to have several harmonic approaches and hit some of the chords for it to sound good. You can't only play 1 scale in jazz.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Thought processes? Usually goes something like:

OK, here we go . . . there's a major chord, so let's hit it with a maj9 arpeggio, that always sounds cool . . . next chord is also major, I'll run with the major pentatonic for a bit . . . minor coming up, minor pentatonic lick with a 2nd . . . hah, this is easy . . . I'll try a harmonic minor thing over the next minor chord . . . oh crap something when wrong there . . . uh oh a diminished chord, uh quick, think of an arpeggio with b5s? . . . damn, now I'm behind a bit . . . just play the 3rd of whatever chord I'm on to recover . . . wtf is a b13 again? Ah ****, now I'm well and truly lost . . . wheedly wheedly minor pentatonic in the key and hang head in shame for the rest of the solo.

:P

I have a couple different approaches. If the song is slower, I'll use basic arpeggios to outline the chords as they change and then add in colour notes (9th, 6th, 7th, etc). If it's a faster song, I'll usually try to find a scale that matches the whole thing and target arpeggio notes with varying degrees of success . . . but usually there's a chord or section that doesn't quite match the scale, so depending on the mismatch I'll either completely change to a new scale in that part or I'll alter a couple notes of the scale for the segment.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I let my gut make decisions and my ear guides me to notes to land on. Not trying to impress anyone so if it feels good to me, it is good. Plus anymore, fewer people care about guitar solos/virtuosity the way they used to. It's more about the groove and the feel. So while my fellow guitarists will talk each other's ears off about modes and theory, I just try to build my repertoire of cool licks and my fluidity up and down the board. That being said, I did do near-daily classical/jazz/theory training on guitar, piano, and saxophone from ages 10-20 with several different teachers, so probably a lot of it is ingrained.

I've literally never thought "the next chord is an A, so I should play an A or C# or E". I've tried it on purpose, and it doesn't sound cool to me. I'm not the greatest solo-er, but I'm good enough to have fun and I keep getting better.

My latest push with soloing is actually to capture emotions and tell a story. Rhythm and timbre rather than specific notes. My best recorded solos lately have come from when I intentionally thought "okay, tell a story. Leave some space. Think about it, don't just play notes." Even something as simple as a whole step bend can have a variety of different emotions depending on when you start the bend, how far you bend, how fast you bend, how you strike the string.

Jazz and atonal stuff though, that's a whole different animal. But constantly modulating between modal scales just isn't fun for me, so I don't do it. Modulating between a minor third and a major third, or modulating between a flat 7 (natural/melodic minor) and a major 7, both of those are doable and detectable by ear and tend to happen more like once per progression. The heady jazz world of switching scales every other beat is not for me, listening or playing.

These days I'd legit rather have fun telling a relatable story with a pentatonic or blues scale than bust out a different scale for every change and impress nobody besides theoryheads. I get it, I respect it, but its not for me currently. Tastes and preferences are always shifting though so we'll see. It's great to have challenges and hurdles to overcome.
      Last edited by alex1fly; 08-12-2021, 01:49 PM.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

WAT.

Comment

I value your input, but I'm not interested in hearing about people's 1 scale + ear approaches in this thread. I'm talking about when you have to hit changes like in jazz. It isn't only done in jazz tho. Rock solists can and do do that as well as other genres.

My point is that I agree with you that changing the scale you think every half beat isn't viable. That's why I'm asking about people's approaches to hitting changes but giving them enough room to space things out.
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            Thought processes? Usually goes something like:

OK, here we go . . . there's a major chord, so let's hit it with a maj9 arpeggio, that always sounds cool . . . next chord is also major, I'll run with the major pentatonic for a bit . . . minor coming up, minor pentatonic lick with a 2nd . . . hah, this is easy . . . I'll try a harmonic minor thing over the next minor chord . . . oh crap something when wrong there . . . uh oh a diminished chord, uh quick, think of an arpeggio with b5s? . . . damn, now I'm behind a bit . . . just play the 3rd of whatever chord I'm on to recover . . . wtf is a b13 again? Ah ****, now I'm well and truly lost . . . wheedly wheedly minor pentatonic in the key and hang head in shame for the rest of the solo.

:P

I have a couple different approaches. If the song is slower, I'll use basic arpeggios to outline the chords as they change and then add in colour notes (9th, 6th, 7th, etc). If it's a faster song, I'll usually try to find a scale that matches the whole thing and target arpeggio notes with varying degrees of success . . . but usually there's a chord or section that doesn't quite match the scale, so depending on the mismatch I'll either completely change to a new scale in that part or I'll alter a couple notes of the scale for the segment.
            Yeah same with me haha. Aprs are my favorite thing to make up ideas, too. I'll run scale sequences to just add fast rhythm. I'm trying to get to a standardized approach that I can execute with regularity. For now, I'm just working a few tunes for a while until I get it.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 08-12-2021, 02:30 PM.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              WAT
              YAS
              I bought them for you

Comment

My thought process is: Let me sit down here and plan this sucker out....

when playing it: Let me play that thing I planned.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yeah
                  I bought them for you

Comment

I just sweep pick and arpeggiate the entire neck of the guitar as fast as possible so that no matter what key or change may occur I am there at lightning speed. I am so fast and precise that I lull the listener in with my virtuoso technique and 24 fret stretch capabilities. They deserve it so I give them every possible note because less isn't more. Less is less.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      I value your input, but I'm not interested in hearing about people's 1 scale + ear approaches in this thread. I'm talking about when you have to hit changes like in jazz. It isn't only done in jazz tho. Rock solists can and do do that as well as other genres.

My point is that I agree with you that changing the scale you think every half beat isn't viable. That's why I'm asking about people's approaches to hitting changes but giving them enough room to space things out.
                      I've tried a variety of methods but what I found most satisfying was to focus on just a couple of notes to highlight to play literally when the chord changes. Mostly 3rds and 7ths.

Basic example in a ii V I in C Major I would play C over the Dm as the last note into the B as the first note over G.

The I discovered this is called voice leading and everyone know about it lol https://www.learnjazzstandards.com/b...in-your-solos/

I quickly realized I could get away with whatever in the middle if I just landed those.

Comment

I like that. I found this lesson on enclosures that I've been trying to integrate. At 7:08.

I bought them for you

Comment

I try to play a melody that I like the sound of while also amusing myself with how many chord tones I hit. I generally don't do licks.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            I like that. I found this lesson on enclosures that I've been trying to integrate. At 7:08.

Enclosures are great. They are even easier on guitar IMHO

My former teacher created an online product you may enjoy https://www.mwgcourses.com/ check the free trial out and you may pick up some stuff. A lot about jazz guitar improvisation at all levels.

Comment

It goes like this:

”Sounds like E, E blues it is!”
                              ”ooh that note doesn’t sound good. Let’s bend.”

In all seriousness playing the changes is something I was trying to do, but I never got very far.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X