No announcement yet.

String dumpener/muter is it cheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been thinking about this and no it is not cheating. There are plenty of guitars that were built with dampeners, and plenty of basses. Pianos and other stringed instruments have string dampeners. A string dampener is not going to make you a better or worse player. It is just a tool, use it or don't as you see fit.

Comment

If anything, the need for a string dampener is indicative of a design flaw in the instrument. It's not a cheat to correct an inherent problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

At least with the multiple takes you are playing the piece correctly once. I don't count it as cheating until you start gluing together bits and pieces from multiple takes, or quantize stuff that's played out of time. That's cheating.
        Putting tiny sections of music together is the rule, rather than the exception.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Interesting .... so quite a few of you have split into two camps, Use IT/Use it but ONLY DURING recording ...... would be great to see two camps debate. I am kind of leaning to the latter .... I think ..... although I've never seen my hearos George Lynch, Richie Blackmore, YJM, Tony Iommi, Criss Oliva, Uli Roth, Satch, Mick Mars, Vitto Bratta, Nuno, use one back in the day ....
          Active Duty Rig:
          MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
          Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

It seems as though most people have the idea that "If someone has a different technique than what I use, it's somehow wrong."
            Interesting.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
              Interesting .... so quite a few of you have split into two camps, Use IT/Use it but ONLY DURING recording ...... would be great to see two camps debate. I am kind of leaning to the latter .... I think ..... although I've never seen my hearos George Lynch, Richie Blackmore, YJM, Tony Iommi, Criss Oliva, Uli Roth, Satch, Mick Mars, Vitto Bratta, Nuno, use one back in the day ....
              I have never seen Tony use a trem or YJM use humbuckers so should I avoid those features of guitars?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I have never seen Tony use a trem or YJM use humbuckers so should I avoid those features of guitars?
                Tony uses a trem in 'Mob Rules'.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
                  Right, but how many videos of them exists of their studio recording sessions?

At the least though, I distinctly remember Marty Friedman at the least using a scrunchie to dampen strings while reording Scenes. Not sure if the vid is still up.
                  Originally posted by Myaccount876
                  Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Working...
                  X