X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blille View Post

Lol

Well, today I learned that you have a pretty low threshold for hate

We said the same except that I said same notes and you said same fretboard patterns, right?

B Locrian is B C D E F G A B
    C Ionian is C D E F G A B

Same notes AND fretboard pattern, right? Can we be friends again?
    I didn't say I hated you!

When I was learning what modes were I found it super confusing when people gave explanations like that. Playing C major over a B drone note is technically modal playing . . . but it won't sound like locrian because you're not understanding the relationship of the notes. So younger me was always thinking "why does all this modal stuff sound like garbage when I do it". IMHO, until you have a very solid grasp of note locations and intervals you'll never understand modes - learning the major scale and trying to translate it into modes is largely useless.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

When I was learning what modes were I found it super confusing when people gave explanations like that. Playing C major over a B drone note is technically modal playing . . . but it won't sound like locrian because you're not understanding the relationship of the notes. So younger me was always thinking "why does all this modal stuff sound like garbage when I do it". IMHO, until you have a very solid grasp of note locations and intervals you'll never understand modes - learning the major scale and trying to translate it into modes is largely useless.
      This is why it’s crucial to be able to target chord tones at will.
      It’s the non-chord tone that give each mode it’s flava…lol

And, as I said earlierā€¦.easier said than done.

This is why I really like the caged system.
      All the modes are still there. You just shift the scales to where they need to be. Againā€¦.easier said then done.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Lol good

I hear where you’re coming from and don’t disagree.

A Ionian lick that sounds good over CM7 may sound boring over Dm7 even if it’s technically “correct”. Agreed.

Personally after I understood the modes I found it more helpful to play the three minor pentatonics per key to gain an intuition of how they sound over what chord and just used the modes to “fill in the blanks”. Then I went on to arpeggios and did the same.

Comment

I come up with a lot of my melodies using my voice. Listen to a chord progression a few times, and then hum or sing your own melody over it, and then figure out how to play that, and then embellish it if you want.
          Take it to the limit
          Everybody to the limit
          Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
            If you want to learn to make your own lead lines, everyone says "memorize the pentatonic and then the major shapes"

Now that I've learned pentatonic, major, and minor, what do I do with that information?
            Suggest that you start hitting the Jam tracks on Youtube. Tracks like this one and just improvise and flow to them.
            Use the relative minor the relative major and pentatonic scales then try and link them to be able to flow all over the neck with a melody line. Example is my Buddy Stel here with his almost identical Kiesel Delos to the guitar I just got. Just flow with the track and try to find a flowing melody that works for the track. If you play the pure and Pentatonic major and minor scales most of the time you will play in key. The trick is making it musical and flowing.

Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Here is another track clip from Stel. Note how he doesn't just play straight notes here, how he slurs into or bends into a note and uses vibrato. This gives a solo life and makes it more fluid and musical. I have learned a lot from this guy as a player and love his feel. First get yourself to the point you can play fluidly over a progression then start working on the feel and dynamics like Stel uses here. This sets a player apart and makes your playing become more emotional and expressive.

Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
              X