Sting, bass tone. How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

Not going on an equipment binge. Just looking for suggestions that I can use with what I already have to get as close as possible. I've never had much interest in copping someone else's exact sound.
    Probably a synth pedal for bass then since I'm assuming you want live. If not live, you could probably find a free synth vst.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Not going on an equipment binge. Just looking for suggestions that I can use with what I already have to get as close as possible. I've never had much interest in copping someone else's exact sound.
      Then post #4 would be my suggestion. Some kind of gate with control of the attack and a trigger mask to set the tempo/timing of the gate opening at the right speed for the music. An SPX90 rack unit does it, but I'm not sure what pedal has that level of control. Otherwise, a tremolo pedal where you can set the ramp/fade-in of the volume opening and closing.

Comment

This is timely also, one of my bands covers this and were discussing how far we take it -tone wise -I have a Korg that can make a similar pulse sync fuzz thing
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I'm thinking that I'll use compression and the active tone controls on my bass to get the best approximation.

Comment

Doable with any synth and a tremolo pedal. You just need to get the speed right. Pedal synth + tremolo would allow doing it with one person doing both synth and bass guitar, like Sting did.

PS: Ghost In The Machine is probably my favorite Police record.
            Wore it (and Synchronicity) out on vinyl back in the day.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Playing whole notes with Boss' Slicer pedal will do that sequence thing, too.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Playing whole notes with Boss' Slicer pedal will do that sequence thing, too.
                The Slicer will do that?
                I might have to look into one.

Comment

The Slicer will do that?
                  I might have to look into one.
                  Yeah, you just play whole notes it in, and set the 'slice' pattern. It is a pretty cool effect, actually. It was in my old Boss VF-1, and they made it into its own pedal.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm thinking that I'll use compression and the active tone controls on my bass to get the best approximation.
                    Yeah, anything Police needs nice heavy compression!
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      PS: Ghost In The Machine is probably my favorite Police record.
                      Wore it (and Synchronicity) out on vinyl back in the day.
                      Ditto for me

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        Sounds like a synth.
                        Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Yeah, anything Police needs nice heavy compression!
                          Well, Duh.

Comment

Working...
                          X