Your/My Musical Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your/My Musical Legacy

My recent health scare got me thinking about the music I would be leaving behind. While I still have so much to say and feel I still have much better work left in me. I listened back through my band’s early works to see if it holds up and it gave me an idea for everyone to share songs they’re particularly proud of. No more than 5 tracks each, give a brief rundowm of what makes them special to you and try to listen and comment on each others songs. Allow me to begin.

This is Seeds from our second album. I love the way it sounds exactly like what the lyrics are describing. Trauma is “seeds” from which mental illness grows. It slithers, snakes and then just EXPLODES FURIOUSLY with one of my most unhinged screams, a one-take, off-the-cuff equally unhinged solo, everyone is giving it their all and the song evolves, builds into a truly electric climax.

Also from our second album is On Fire. This song was essentially improvised at a rehearsal and I put together a rough version by the time everyone got back home and we refined it from there until we ended up with this. I love how devastating the main riff is for how simple it is (it literally looks like a sharks fin under an oscilloscope) yet the song as a whole has a very interesting structure, every part fixed together perfectly, there’s little sprinkles of different styles and had another solo I did in one take I really love how it turned out. It’s one of few 7 string songs from that album and it’s got some seriously heavy parts and a crushing outro. The EMTY Blackouts really help the single note riffs jump out with a searing sound.

One more song from the second album. March Of the Afflicted. It features an almost southern-blues style riff but played down a fourth on the 7 string with that absolutely crushing distortion and a hint of thrash and death metal and it’s arguably the very heaviest song on the album.

This is the last single we released that got us the most attention in recent years. It’s an absolute high watermark for my crystal clear, yet punchy and balanced production work, streamlined, catchy songwriting and my much improved vocal abilities.

New Fragmenta Single out on Nuclear Blast's Imperative Music XIV DVD https://www.imperative-music.com/compilation/imperative-music-compilation-dvd-volume-16/ The song describes drug addiction as a m

Lastly, the opening track to our debut album. It’s probably a tie with Corpse Platoon which is definitely one of our signature songs, but I’ll link this one as it sets the stage for what’s to come nicely. I’ve always been proud of our ability to write albums of songs all with enough identity that no two bleed together. The debut was also recorded live off the floor, no click and utilising as many raw takes as possible, which really shows as we were really inspired by the raw energy of those late 80’s early 90’s metal albums which hit that sweet spot of having slicker sonics than ever before, but was well before gridding and editing to computer precision was ubiquitous. The sounds are all from what the mics captured including the kit being fully acoustic.

If you heard my Mesa stack or Sam’s drum kit in the room, we captured it well enough on the playback that it’s still like being in the room when we played it, including that truly awesome crack of his Pearl Forum snare and the perfectly tuned toms that were easy to sound like thunderous cannons with a touch of optical compression. Being able to look at and play off each other I feel added to the feel and you can hear the beginnings of our industrial influences with all kinds of soundscapes, field recordings and other goodies layered in with the organic band which we would later expand on

Opening track and lead single of the upcoming 10th anniversary reissue of our debut album SEDITION. Originally released 2011, each track has been remixed and mastered at our current, superior product

In conclusion, I definitely want the world to hear the rest of what I have to offer. I’m just glad I at least have something left worth hearing if worst comes to worst.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Good luck with your health issues man, I hope you're able to get it all under control and get back to living the life you deserve. You've got a cool-sounding voice and a lot of skill and energy. And I think it's great that you're writing songs about things that matter to you, it's easy to lose sight of that in metal songs.
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
      Good luck with your health issues man, I hope you're able to get it all under control and get back to living the life you deserve. You've got a cool-sounding voice and a lot of skill and energy. And I think it's great that you're writing songs about things that matter to you, it's easy to lose sight of that in metal songs.
      I’m happy you noticed. You could probably be a professional reviewer like the reviewer for this global magazine (called Power Play magazine) who really seemed to pay attention to the details and topics at hand. I can’t wait to finish the remasters of our first two albums just so they sound as perfect as I wanted them to (there’s a few issues I have with the mastering guy we paid to do it and I can do a much better job now) then it’s onward to keep putting out material for album #3 which is yet again our most varied work today, with even more experimental edges but with a number of songs that keep the thrash element alive that will always be part of our sound. You’re spot on though, that second album was after my best friend, followed by my Dad’s s*icide after a near fatal home invasion, our bassist’s cousin died of brain cancer and our drummer was hit by a truck and only just recovered in time to record so it’s an understatement to say we were in a very dark place when recording this album.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	6269590
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Sweet! You guy's remind me of bands like Kragens, Death Over Threat & maybe even a bit of Tourniquet. thrashy but w/ some other/kinda progressive elements thrown in..

As far as my band(s) go...

Always been more of a live band than a recording one, though having been around for 30+ years we do have a decent amount of stuff recorded as well. Production -wise everything ranges from lo-fi to lower-fi to lowest-fi whivch is how we like it

All good things come to an end though

Over the years we've shared the stage/opened for some pretty big names, Kreator, Pestilence, Coroner, Demilich, Mayhem, Abigail, Impiety to name a few, not bad going at all for a bunch of weekend warriors..

Then there've been all the side projects & my youtube channel...so It's been a fun (ongoing) ride...​
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

You played with Born Of Osiris too? Wow:

Comment

Only band whose set I skipped that day. Used the time to tank up for Mayhem

As for tracks...

From the last Dying Embrace EP we recorded a few years ago...it's about starving crusaders who cannibalized the dead during the seige of Ma'arra

Second album from my goregrind side-project (demo version)

Luv in the Mortuary..

Work in progress for an Autopsy/OSDM inspred side project called "Death Throes" (Still w/o a vocal track) though I did pen the lyrics to this track tentatively titled "Rectally Resuscitated".

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

And onstage..

There are no regrets and nothing I would've done differently at all. Honestly... it's a "legacy" I'm pretty happy with and proud of.

Youtube

Comment

Had this little beast on the floor behind the Marshall stack ^^ , plugged into the cabs delivering the brutez

Youtube

Comment

But it's not all about doom & gloom. With my personal Youtube channel I explore w/e the **** I want to with a strong emphasis on speedy guitar solo's.

So here's my fifth & final video full of the lilting strains of (pure) classical music as played by all the maestro's in a virtuosoistical fashion full of theory-less shredding improv & many, many nippy sweeps courtesy of yours truly

Youtube

Comment

Hey! Four posts in a row?? I’ll go easy because I know it’s impossible to consolidate posts lately without having to delete everything and start all over again. Just take it easy, it’s supposed to be for stuff people will hopefully be listening to long after you die.

I don’t want it to just be another “post your band here” thread where nobody cares beyond self promotion. That’s why I limited it to no more than 5 clips per contributor, so everyone has a chance to listen to each other.

Comment

Well l listened to your band and commented on it. I'm not a reviewer so that's the best I can do..

Yeah, well when I try to edit/delete clips I get some fuking error....so that's six clips from three bands (All admittedly w/ me ...BUT....does each band count as a separate contributor??) and a video channel (what about THAT?)..

..my legacy gets any smaller and it may as well not be a legacy at all

Youtube

Comment

Okay. I guess that technically okay being from different bands, but it’s still very sneaky loophole abuse and you know it!

Like I said, I know editing posts is practically impossible. I’ve had to HTML strip texts with zero HTML in it…

Comment

Well , using that loop hole gives me a window of opportunity for 20 clips (five each for each band & another five for my YT channel..in fact another five for a band I have'nt even mentioned in here ...my spazz-tech grind project "Conflicting Theories" w/ Ben Vargas aka 'Akkad' from Engorged) yet here I am all done w/ just six clips. Now that's just plain old humility & magnanimity, not to mention being downright accommodating & considerate.

... just the way I am I guess

Youtube

Comment

Don’t even think about it…. At least give people a chance to catch up.

Comment

Why would I?

And as for the catching up..I strongly suspect this thread will be just what the title implies. Your & my musical legacy....maybe a couple other stragglers if your lucky...though I would'nt hold my breath if I were you.

When it comes to posting clips that involve anyone actually PLAYING guitar themselves (as opposed to discussing playing guitar, theory etc..) ...lol, good luck with that. I mean no one here's that prolific that its taking them this long to select what they want to post in this thread from their legacy/vast repertoire of clips
                              Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-07-2024, 07:58 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X