No announcement yet.

Incoming practice/recording NAD..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vs. my 15W Goldea tube head + Laney 2x12 w/ V30's (single mono track)

Did'nt want to chance an impedance mismatch disaster by hooking up the Creamback cab as well...though I doubt much would've gone wrong in 5< mins..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Ibanez S Series (S520BBS) w/ my Laney SS 60W head & two Cabs (Laney 2x212w/ V30's & 1x12 Cab w/ Craemback 65) ~ Neoclassical Ballad (Kerry KIng style..)

Yesterday I was jamming with this setup before lunch & it sounded absolutely amazing cranked in the room. It's insanely loud (Laney head) too...60Watts is 60Watts ...no kidding

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Also I just discovered something after I recorded that clip. While this amp sounds great & feels great, it was always really noisy when idling , like, a lot of hum (50hz). I thought it was maybe bad grounding in the amp or a dirty poweroutlet but It's even louder through the two linked cabs I'm using now than my Vox 1x12 w/ a Redback I had it hooked up to earlier.which is kinda irritating to be honest.

So I thought I'd just take a proper look at the back see if anything was loose or something

Well, I just discovered it has a 'ground-lift' slider switch at the back..so I flipped it. Did'nt really have high hopes cuz they often do nothing, but damn!! Everything has gone dead silent....as in no ****ing noise at all...even on the highest gain settings! And the tone is hella better too. It was great before though w/ a tendency to sound a bit brittle in the highs. But now it's even thicker (like insanely thick & meaty) /feels smoother, the highs are incredible and it's just phenomenal to play tbh...

This blows away the little Soldano SS head I tried a couple of years ago.. Makes it sound like a toy while this bad boy on the other hand actually sounds like a large tube head pretty much..and yes, it is shockingly LOUD \m/

EDIT: Ok, so after playing it a while there's still a bit of noise (acceptable for a gainy amp) but it's like 80% quieter now.
        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-18-2024, 02:29 AM.

Youtube

Comment

First clip after flipping the switch. Laney SS head into my Creamback cab (mono track):

Youtube

Comment

Also found/edited a pretty sweet Recto patch on my Hotone Pulze. Time to move on fromthe neoclassical ballad though. Ballads can be fun but after a while all the tasteful restraint gets to me....yeah, some whammy helps but even that can only take it so far..

Funnily enough, the Pulze also had a grounding 50hz (60hz in the US) buzzing issue whicjh was due to it coming witha two-prong Euro plug (they have the third/ground prong in the wall outlet, not on the plug) for the power cord. All the buzz disappeared after I switched it to a standard three prong Indian power cord/plug so it was properly grounded.
            Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-18-2024, 07:43 AM.

Youtube

Comment

New track with the Recto model/amp. I edited it a bit by ear but I'm not sure what I did...still it sounds pretty cool.
              One problem I do have though is with the overall feel of all the amp models. They're all a bit stiff/edgy/choppy and I'd like to dial in a bit of smoother compression/roundness from them (esp. for tapping....it feels like i hve to fight it for that.) Pretty sure there's some kind of Global setting that can do what I need, in fact I watched a YT tutorial a wile ago that mentioned three "Gobal" edge/crispness settings to adjust response. I can't find it now though , always happens when you need something

Youtube

Comment

I decided to try recording using the amp as an interface. Easy as pie to set up. I think this is the way to go!

Once I have the edginess/stiffness issue sorted out I think this could be my most hassle-free, quick & awesome sounding recording solution ever

Youtube

Comment

Switching between the Recto lead patch & a harmonizer patch (Andy Larocque-ish lead tone). It (harmonizer) sounds much better in stereo but I forgot to load a stereo track in Reaper...so..

Youtube

Comment

5150 patch (slightly edited to taste) ..pretty sweet. Headphone out to DAW (stereo)

I think using the headphone out & using the amp as an interface sound pretty much the same. I should try mic'ing both speakers and recording them in stereo next

Youtube

Comment

Laney SS + 1x12 Creamback M cab - Amp's Ground-lift switch ON vs. OFF. Apart from getting rid of most of the idling buzz, flipping the Ground-lift switch also makes the tone thicker smoother and a bit darker..

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                      X