What's The Most Pedal Friendly Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's The Most Pedal Friendly Amp?

If a player is looking to get their tone ONLY from pedals, which amp would they chose and why? Would it be a Fender or a Hiwatt? Which amp would give them the best platform to achieve tonal bliss? This is merely for hypothetical discussion.
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: What's The Most Pedal Friendly Amp?

Too many other variables. Fender amps have many different flavors to generalize. Hiwatt amps sound different than other amps. Which two amps are you comparing?

Comment

Originally posted by BRHGM View Post
      Too many other variables. Fender amps have many different flavors to generalize. Hiwatt amps sound different than other amps. Which two amps are you comparing?
      No two in particular. Just seeing what the general conscientious is for the most pedal friendly amp. I thought Fender and Hiwatt due to their overall clean character.
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Originally posted by Gear Used
      PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
      Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

IMO most pedal designers design their pedals to sound their best through a Fender, since they're assuming that's what most musicians would use. The Fender Deluxe is what I see most pedal manufacturers using.

I also have a Fender Super Champ XD and for bedroom levels I use the clean channel, which is based on a Fender Champ. Pedals sound best through this amp compared to my Black Star,Carvin and Marshall

Comment

Fender
          i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

Maybe a Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb.
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Fender
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Any tube amp with a dedicated non master volume clean channel would do it. Which one would be best is down to personal taste. You may also want to consider what are the most amp friendly pedals since some overdrives are designed to do their best with a clean amp and others are designed to work with an amp that is already overdriven.

Comment

Music Man amps take pedals very well.
                  - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                  Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                  The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Older Peavey "Transtube" and Crate "Flexwave" amps are very pedal-friendly and affordable. Stay away from the small 8" and 10" versions, though. Most of the 1x12" and 2x12" combos are very solid choices.

Personally, I found the larger Crate 2x12 solid state combos to have a very even sound that allowed different pedal and digital effect voicings to come through very well while giving it a convincing "organic" quality.

Nothing wrong with the Fenders mentioned, either.

Comment

If you're finding your tone through pedals, the best tone you'll get would be through your favorite clean amp. Try to find something without distortion or any effects built in and just make sure it's YOUR favorite clean sound, not someone else's.

Comment

I assume you are talking about amps without fx loops. I have had some experience with Hiwatts, namely the Custom 50 and Higain 100. Neither of them had FX loops and my pedal board at the time had a wah, analog chorus, analog delay, and overdrive. They were great but I probably use fx more subtly than most people.

Marshall JTM's love pedals. I also had a Fender Deluxe VM but it didn't take pedals well. Fortunately those have an fx loop. Currently I have a tweed Blues Junior RI and use my Line6 M9 for effects along with my Dimebag wah and OD pedal. It sounds pretty good but not as good as through an FX loop. Through the loop, my M9 sounds much more natural. However, if I dial it in carefully, I can get a fairly natural sounding subtle effect.

Diamond Amplification makes an amp called the Balinese which doesn't have an fx loop. I ran all kinds of fx through it and it never sounded bad. Diamond makes really, really good amps but they're not catching on as much as I thought they would. Maybe it's the price point because their amps are not cheap at all, and also they seemed to start out with amps geared towards metal. However, you should check out Diamond if you're in the market for an amp.

Comment

I usually keep a bath towel draped over my pedalboard when I'm not playing so the pedals don't get dusty.

One night I forgot to cover them and when I woke up in the morning I caught my Peavey Prowler making out with an AnalogMan Mini Bi-Comp.
                          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I'm a died-in-the-wool channel-switching amp guy, but every once in a while I ponder getting rid of it all and buying a Super Reverb with a few good pedals. Maybe when I get old and become a blues player I'll do that.
                            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I have had 2 amps that love pedals...my modded Blues Jr. and my old Deluxe Reverb.
                              Originally posted by tone4days
                              we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Working...
                              X