More About Loopers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More About Loopers

I have been messing with a Ditto X2 and the functionality and sound quality are OK, but here is what I discovered that I should have realized would be the case all along: Even if the looper last in the effect chain ... that is, last before the amp, the recorded loop has a raw sound because it is without the effect of both the amp and the speaker(s). Those elements are in place during playback but I don't think it's quite the same.

Mincer?

I wonder if there is an effective way to mic the amp, and then run that signal into the looper. IDK, and then run the looper's output into a second amp?
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: More About Loopers

You can mic the amp, and put the looper in the aux send of a mixer, and send the signal to a full range speaker, or (like I do) don't use the amp's distortion and use a dirt box before the looper. I also use amp sims (no real guitar amp) when using electric through a looper, and just go to a full range (pa) speaker when I do it live. I don't think it sounds natural for the loop and the direct amp signal to come from different sources. The loop should sound the same going through the amp, unless the Ditto is coloring it somehow. Ask someone to sit in front of the amp with their back turned and tell you if they can tell the difference between the loop and the direct sound....they should be the same.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I wish you could sync multiple Ditto/Dittox2s
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I know syncing can be rough, but I am also looking to expand possibilities. I have seriously considered using two X2s ... one for the verse and another for a chorus ... or more likely a rhythm part that I could lead over in an outtro.

It is beginning to look more and more like the Pigtronix is the simpler, albeit significantly more expensive, solution.

When I say "simpler" I am not alluding to the bag of tricks and an 81 page manual. Rather, it already has the verse/chorus series capability and provision for syncing to a MIDI clock.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Yeah, and once you want to get really serious with a big looper, the Boomerang and big Boss start to look good too.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I will check those out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              I wish you could sync multiple Ditto/Dittox2s
              Ahem . . . Jamman Solo XT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JammanSolo sync.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	5781863

Comment

The Boomerang is way better then the Boss Looper ,I have played with a couple of the big boss loopers and they just don't sound good to me. I run my ditto x2 into one amp and then play lead from another amp , no issues with the sound at all or how the effects sound in it. Usually put some chorus in clean rhythms and sounds fine to me.Just a matter of how good good enough is , for you. Never going to be an actual second instrument and musician , it's a looper.
                Originally posted by Oinkus
                I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

The Boomerang is way better than the Boss for sure, and you can also go for the Vox VLD1 (i think) for 2 separate loops to switch between too. Once people start really understanding what a looper can do, the simple ones are only good for practice and not much else.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My brother got a Boomerang a while back. I'm amazed at what he can do with it. I can barely make a good loop to solo over on it.
                    Go Packers!

Comment

Have you guys ever heard of Reggie Watts?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                        I haven't. Did he come up with the phrase " Watt the F"?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                          *comedy bang-bang*

Comment

Working...
                          X