banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best bang-for-the-buck machine heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best bang-for-the-buck machine heads?

I have a PRS SE singlecut Nick Catanese. You guys know how it is with these Korean PRS's. They're good solid instruments with crappy hardware and pickups. Fortunately, this came equipped with EMG's and a TonePros bridge from the factory (the later, I'm not a big fan of, but that's another story).

The tuners are utter crap, though. They won't hold tune nearly as well as my LTD with Grovers does. I did have a set of locking Grovers sitting around, but decided to drop them in my LTD because I play that guitar more. I gave the non-locking Grovers the LTD came stock with away to a friend who needed them not thinking I might actually have a use for them with my PRS SE, so I don't have them anymore. I still want to upgrade my PRS SE, though.

Before you say it's the nut that may be causing the issue, I did replace the nut with a Graphtech Black TusQ and had it properly setup by a tech, so it's definitely not that. It's just the tuners that are crap. I've had that issue with other SE's I've had.

I'd like to spend as little as possible. I see non-locking Gotohs are cheaper than Grovers over at Stewmac and Allparts. Wonder if I should place my bet on Gotohs, play it safe with non-locking Grovers, or maybe look into something else like Wilkinsons or something. Like I said, I don't want to spend a lot. I don't really mind if the tuners are non-locking, I just want them to be better quality to function better.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-24-2020, 10:57 AM.

Re: What are the best bang-for-the-buck machine heads?

Wish I could help more, but I got a deal on Grover Rotos that I used on my SE One and I would go with them again, even if it was a few bucks more.

Comment

Comment

Wilkinson EZ-Lok tuners are good and cheap.

You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The Hipshot Grip-Lock is proven to hold strings tightly, allowing the guitar to stay in tune to improve playing enjoyment. The Grip-Lock is a mechanical type locking system that can be used on any guitar, including non-trem or acoustic.  Upgrade your tuners and improve the tuning accuracy an...

Not having to fight the instrument to restring it, makes these one of my favorites.

Comment

Gotoh ...

Comment

The KD brand at Aliexpress is the same as the Alparts tuners, but they are only $25.

I looked at the Godin site
              Their locking tuners are priced individually
              At $8 ea
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The Gotohs I posted are the best quality for the lowest price you will find. The Wilkinsons are essentially the same price, but not a match to Gotoh in quality.

If you're willing to spend $15-$20 more, which is a bargain for improved tuning stability and better quality parts, I would strongly recommend a set of either Gotoh or Hipshot locking tuners. You can pick up locking Gotohs for ~$45 and Hipshots for ~$50

Comment

These godin tuners would look right on a PRS
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

These godin tuners would look right on a PRS
                    Godin doesn't make those. I believe Ping does.

And I am willing to bet the tuning problem is NOT the tuning machines. Very seldom can the tuners be blamed. It's usually something else - like the nut, the setup, the bridge.... or in rare instances, the player.
                    Last edited by ICTGoober; 06-24-2020, 04:35 PM.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I've always been partial to Deep Purple's Machine Head. Shouldn't be too expensive to pick up. :P
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have a locking set I got off Guitar Fetish I have never had a problem with them. I think they were around $35

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          I've always been partial to Deep Purple's Machine Head. Shouldn't be too expensive to pick up. :P
                          It is difficult to imagine a better recorded album.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            I have a locking set I got off Guitar Fetish I have never had a problem with them. I think they were around $35
                            I had a set of those and only four of the six actually locked. The other two would slip and require more than a complete wrap around the post.

When it comes to tuners I really like Sperzels, but they're expensive and kind of heavy. I use Gotoh on everything where Sperzel doesn't make sense regardless of the reason.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yeah, I had a set of the GFS locking tuners once, and the lock didn't really lock, LOL.

I guess I was just wondering, are those Gotohs really as good as, say, Grovers? If they are, I'm definitely ordering a set. I mean, they do use those tuners for MIJ ESP's and Ibanez Prestige.

Comment

Working...
                              X