EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai vs The TC Electronic Nova Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai vs The TC Electronic Nova Delay

If you like, I'll give you a full review in a week or so. Then you'll have a second opinion to compare to Crusty's.
    That would be great cheers.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock View Post

What would you choose and why?
      I chose the TC Electronics, as much as anything, because I already have three EHX pedals. I like their analog stuff but not really the digital stuff I've used.

My Deluxe Memory Man (the old hard wired version) is the only pedal I would prefer not to play without. I got it in my head that I occasionally "need" longer delay tmes and thought the tap tempo would be a great option. I also reasoned that having nine presets would be useful, and I thought the subdivisions would certainly expand the sonic possibilities. As soon as I got a 20% discount coupon from Music 123 I ordered the Nova Delay. The clips sounded great. I've had it now for over a week and these are my observations:

Function
      First, I have to say that the Nova Delay is very intuitive .... easy to set up and use. The presets are simple to lock in and they are easy to modify. Since I am an analog guy I had to get used to watching numbers spin while setting the DELAY rate. Basically, you turn the knob clockwise to lengthen the time between repeats and counterclockwise to shorten it. The farther you rotate the knob the faster it scrolls. You have to return to the 12 o'clock detent to make it stop. It takes a little practice to keep from overshooting the desired rate (first this way and then that). The display can be easily set to read in either beats per minute or milli-seconds. Per TC Electronics, the range is adjustable from 1 to 2290 MS. Just a side note - I set my DMM and the ND-1 right together and it seems I only get about 430 MS out of the Memory Man. After some experimentation I realize the 600 would be tolerable and 900 would be an ideal maximum. The ND-1 has substantially longer times available than I can foresee ever needing. The DELAY rate can be overridden simply by depressing the tap tempo switch twice while in manual or any preset mode.

The FEEDBACK knob sets the number of repeats. No explanation is necssary. It works fine.

The COLOR knob slightly adjusts the EQ of the repeats from the brightest "digital", through analog, to the darkest "tape" settings. The range of adjustment is somewhat limited, but in a good way. The "digital" setting is not too bright, and the "tape" setting is not too dark. The control is not notched so you can dial it in exactly as desired.

The MODULATION control sets the amount of modulation applied to the repeats. There are three modulation types selectable by the center switch in the row of five switches between the displays and the footswitches. The modulation is so subtle that I really couldn't discern any effect on the first setting. The second modulation type is also very mild (even with the MODULATION knob rotated to its maximum setting). The third modulation type adds a noticeable chorus type detuning effect to the repeats. Honestly, if quality modulated delay sounds are important to you this peadl may not be your best choice.

MIX-LEVEL - This is the knob that really caught me off guard. It truly adjusts the balance between dry and wet signals. Adjust it fully counterclockwise and you will not hear repeats. Adjust it fully clockwise and you hear only the delays with no dry signal at all. I am accustomed to a control that raises and lowers the level (loudness) of the repeats without disturbing the dry signal level. As it is designed, the fully clockwise setting is necessary for the optimum effect when using the reverse delay type.

DELAY TYPE -
      "Delay Line" is the standard delay function.
      "Dynamic" is a ducking delay ... that is, the delay backs off while you are playing and then comes back up between notes or after a phrase. This prevents repeats, particulary at higher wet signal levels, from clashing with real time playing. This functions beautifully and in my opinion is one of the strengths of this pedal.
      "Reverse" is as its name implies. The repeats are actually your input in reverse. If you bend a note up it plays back as a note that was struck with the string under tension and then relieved. For the effect to function correctly, the FEEDBACK knob must be set low or perhaps zero'd so there is only one repeat. The MIX knob has to be maxed, and the DELAY knob has to be set for a short time. This is fun and it works great. Personally, I don't have the time, desire, or patience to learn to play ahead of a song so that the backward guitar line is in time.

To be continued ........
      Last edited by Lazarus1140; 07-11-2008, 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I have the EHX SMMWH and I have always been happy with it. In fact it is the only pedal that has remained constantly on my board for the three years I have been playing in a band again (except for the Fromel-modded Boss BF2). The SMMWH is very versatile and has storage for your own sounds, as well as tap tempo and a looper. I was considering a TC Nova, only because it has more storage slots, but TBH I have found I don't use all the ones in the SMM anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
          I chose the TC Electronics, as much as anything, because I already have three EHX pedals. I like their analog stuff but not really the digital stuff I've used.

My Deluxe Memory Man (the old hard wired version) is the only pedal I would prefer not to play without. I got it in my head that I occasionally "need" longer delay tmes and thought the tap tempo would be a great option. I also reasoned that having nine presets would be useful, and I thought the subdivisions would certainly expand the sonic possibilities. As soon as I got a 20% discount coupon from Music 123 I ordered the Nova Delay. The clips sounded great. I've had it now for over a week and these are my observations:

Function
          First, I have to say that the Nova Delay is very intuitive .... easy to set up and use. The presets are simple to lock in and they are easy to modify. Since I am an analog guy I had to get used to watching numbers spin while setting the DELAY rate. Basically, you turn the knob clockwise to lengthen the time between repeats and counterclockwise to shorten it. The farther you rotate the knob the faster it scrolls. You have to return to the 12 o'clock detent to make it stop. It takes a little practice to keep from overshooting the desired rate (first this way and then that). The display can be easily set to read in either beats per minute or milli-seconds. Per TC Electronics, the range is adjustable from 1 to 2290 MS. Just a side note - I set my DMM and the ND-1 right together and it seems I only get about 430 MS out of the Memory Man. After some experimentation I realize the 600 would be tolerable and 900 would be an ideal maximum. The ND-1 has substantially longer times available than I can foresee ever needing. The DELAY rate can be overridden simply by depressing the tap tempo switch twice while in manual or any preset mode.

The FEEDBACK knob sets the number of repeats. No explanation is necssary. It works fine.

The COLOR knob slightly adjusts the EQ of the repeats from the brightest "digital", through analog, to the darkest "tape" settings. The range of adjustment is somewhat limited, but in a good way. The "digital" setting is not too bright, and the "tape" setting is not too dark. The control is not notched so you can dial it in exactly as desired.

The MODULATION control sets the amount of modulation applied to the repeats. There are three modulation types selectable by the center switch in the row of five switches between the displays and the footswitches. The modulation is so subtle that I really couldn't discern any effect on the first setting. The second modulation type is also very mild (even with the MODULATION knob rotated to its maximum setting). The third modulation type adds a noticeable chorus type detuning effect to the repeats. Honestly, if quality modulated delay sounds are important to you this peadl may not be your best choice.

MIX-LEVEL - This is the knob that really caught me off guard. It truly adjusts the balance between dry and wet signals. Adjust it fully counterclockwise and you will not hear repeats. Adjust it fully clockwise and you hear only the delays with no dry signal at all. I am accustomed to a control that raises and lowers the level (loudness) of the repeats without disturbing the dry signal level. As it is designed, the fully clockwise setting is necessary for the optimum effect when using the reverse delay type.

DELAY TYPE -
          "Delay Line" is the standard delay function.
          "Dynamic" is a ducking delay ... that is, the delay backs off while you are playing and then comes back up between notes or after a phrase. This prevents repeats, particulary at higher wet signal levels, from clashing with real time playing. This functions beautifully and in my opinion is one of the strengths of this pedal.
          "Reverse" is as its name implies. The repeats are actually your input in reverse. If you bend a note up it plays back as a note that was struck with the string under tension and then relieved. For the effect to function correctly, the FEEDBACK knob must be set low or perhaps zero'd so there is only one repeat. The MIX knob has to be maxed, and the DELAY knob has to be set for a short time. This is fun and it works great. Personally, I don't have the time, desire, or patience to learn to play ahead of a song so that the backward guitar line is in time.

To be continued ........
          Nice review. I have the NOVA delay also, and find it to be very musical and inspiring. I bought it on a whim after hearing it at a brick and mortar guitar store, something I haven't done it years. But it hooked me within minutes!
          Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
          Marshall JVM410H
          Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
          Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
          ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
          Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
          Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
          Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
          Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Since this thread was started in 2008, we have come out with our new Andromeda, which a a great programmable digital delay.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Since this thread was started in 2008, we have come out with our new Andromeda, which a a great programmable digital delay.
              Very, very interesting features. Delay is the one effect I can't live without, and I'm always open to new ones if they have musical character. Will have to check that one out...
              Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
              Marshall JVM410H
              Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
              Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
              ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
              Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
              Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
              Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
              Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

Working...
              X