Marshall JTM-45 vs Fender Tweed amp.. volume problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JTM-45 vs Fender Tweed amp.. volume problem

So the other guitarist in the band i play in uses a fender tweed deluxe amp, 60 watt trough 4x10 speakers combo. I use a JTM-45 head with a 1922 2x12 speaker cab.. problem is my marshall cant get near as loud has his amp and he often does'nt even get past 2 on the volume so i'm wondering if i get a 4x12 cab will i get louder or at least have more presence or if i should just go ahead and get a higher wattage amp or something... Is the 60 vs 30 watt diference that big?

I really don't want to because i love how my jtm sounds especially where its been recently fitted with new KT66 tesla tubes and some nos Mullard 12ax7 in the preamp, new transformer, etc.. a whole rebuilt was done in it and it sounds awesome but we just did a show yesterday and i could'nt hear nothing at all comming from my amp, could've just been unpluged and not make a difference for me i was just playing the stuff because i knew the songs by heart and its kinda dumb imo to be playing lead and solos if you cant even hear what your doing especialy where i sort of improvise sometimes.. worst part is we where miced so apparently people heared me just i could'nt hear **** on stage
    Last edited by C-Martin; 11-15-2008, 03:30 PM.
    C-Martin Recordings
    My Soundclick page

Re: Marshall JTM-45 vs Fender Tweed Deluxe.. volume problem

correction.. its a Blues DeVille 410 not a deluxe
    C-Martin Recordings
    My Soundclick page

Comment

Re: Marshall JTM-45 vs Fender Tweed amp.. volume problem

How's it dialed in? A healthy JTM45 with a 2x12 cab should be more then loud enough to blow the pants off a drummer in most any situation. Is the cab open back or closed? What kind of speakers?

It's entirely possible that the amp is blowing right past you... especially if it's closed back w/ the cab on the ground aimed at your ankles.
      J. 'Moose' Kahrs
      mixer|producer|recordist
      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

J Moose is right...if you get a stand for the amp head, and a stand for the 2x12 cab, you'll have no trouble hearing yourself. Otherwise, tell the other guy to turn down till both amps match in volume.

How high do you run the JTM? I would think it would be overkill on most stages if you run it past 5.

Maybe a set of more sensitive speakers in your cab?...
        Last edited by guitfiddle; 11-15-2008, 03:55 PM.
        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

We need more details...

A JTM-45 should easily keep up with a Bues DeVille and then some!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Your JTM45 is 30 to 35 watts... I play my JTM45 on Vol 7... To Mix with my 50 watt 1987 Plexi I can only turn it up to... like Vol 2
            "Play like a Champion"
            PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
            Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
            Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

JTM-45 i can crank it up to full on 10 everything but stil not loud enough, and i have no trouble with the drummer its compared to the 60 watt deville i cant keep up with him in volume. As for the cab its just an old 1922 stock cap with the Celestion G12-75T inside and i know the fact the the cab is on the floor but seriously i moved arround far and bended down so my head would be level with the speakers **** near sat on the floor at one time and stil nothing or i could hear a very faint thing that sounded like it was me playing lol. Amp works perfectly on its own with the entire band as soon as the deville kicks in i disapear.. and like i said his amp is barely even on 2 he can crank it up even louder if he wants he already keeps it pretty low so it doesnt overwhelm the entire band.
              C-Martin Recordings
              My Soundclick page

Comment

There are 2 things abotu G12T75's...one they are mid scooped which means that they will have trouble cuttiong through a band mix ion top of that they are only 97db efficient meaning that they are simply not very loud speakers. Try a paif of G12H30's or Vintage 30's and see where that gets you.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Past that are you sure the amp is running properly at the moment??

Comment

the G12-75s aren't loud speakers? i thought they where.. maybe a new cab would help i been wanting to try out those G12H30s actually.. also been wondering maybe a 4x12 would help this a bit instead of the 2x12
                    C-Martin Recordings
                    My Soundclick page

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      Past that are you sure the amp is running properly at the moment??
                      im not a amp tech or anything but like i said alone works great from waht i can hear and its just been serviced not long ago with new practicly everything and the guy that did it is a pro thats worked on amps for like 20 years or something.. i dont know much about amp circuitry or anything to check it for myself
                      C-Martin Recordings
                      My Soundclick page

Comment

BTW its the Reissue Blues DeVille 410... the one in tweed not the "Hot rod" balck one
                        C-Martin Recordings
                        My Soundclick page

Comment

That cab is a POS to be honest about it!
                          Had one as a backup once....borrowed it from a mate....Used it with a Park 75....first time ever I had to really work that amp harder than usual.
                          Plus the cab had a really weird thing going with its size!
                          The next time I took along my other 2x12 cab with G12Hs....no troubles.

Comment

I never had this problem with my JTM-45.

Just the opposite, too loud.
                            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Get a 4x12 loaded with any of Celestions 100dB sensitivity speakers. V30s are VERY loud for that purpose. G12Hs are also 100dB. The G12T-75 are 3dB quieter which should mean that two of them are about as loud as one V30. (which doesn't mean that the V-30 is twice as loud audible, since two speakers are not twice as loud as one if from the same kind, but about 3dB louder )

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Working...
                              X