Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall JTM-45 vs Fender Tweed amp.. volume problem

Originally posted by Hellion View Post
    Four 10" speakers are going to move more air than two 12" speakers, regardless of the power driving them and what creates sound is air movement. Personally, I think that a 212 cabinet is a god's plenty when it comes to guitar amplification, but then I'm not really involved here and if I were, then I'd want a stack!

Seriously, get the other guy to turn down or use a power soak to bring his volume closer to yours.

Super Reverbs do seem to unbelievably loud in the typical club enviroment.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post

A KT66 driven 35w+/- amp with two efficient speakers should be enough to get you ran out of a lot of places.
      Eggzactly.

I wonder if both speakers are working though...

A few years ago I was at a bands rehearsal space & the guitarist was using, I think it was a combo or head & 2x12 and I couldn't hear him at all. We worked on the amps EQ a bit and it was better but I still couldn't hear what he was playing...

Turns out that one his speakers was blown and didn't know it.

That's the first thing I'd check!!!
      J. 'Moose' Kahrs
      mixer|producer|recordist
      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Thats what I am wondering...thats also why I asked if the amp was running in top form...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

anyone know what the ohm per speaker would be in the 1922?
          C-Martin Recordings
          My Soundclick page

Comment

Originally posted by 54'Strat View Post
            What's the impedance of the cab?
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Open the back and take a look!

It'll say right on the speaker...

While your at it, you can test them by touching a 9 volt to the speaker terminals. If it buzzes the speaker is good. No sound, it's blown.
              J. 'Moose' Kahrs
              mixer|producer|recordist
              mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

more like a pop than a buzz. a dead or dying 9v is good to use for this. when you touch both terminals the cone should move and you should hear popop

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                  What's the impedance of the cab?
                  mono 8 ohm and stereo 16 ohm... i think they would be 16 ohm per speaker but i'm not sure and i don't have access to the place where my cab is at the moment so i cant check till next week so i thought i'd ask here if anyone knew...

and last i checked the speaker didn't say anything about ohm but i will check again and i will try this 9v battery test while at it... if one of em is blown that would definitely explain allot
                  C-Martin Recordings
                  My Soundclick page

Comment

mono 8 ohm and stereo 16 ohm...
                    That's on the input plate? Then it's 95% certain of 16 ohms per speaker.

You get bonus points if 'ya check the strength of the 9 volt with your tounge before touching it to the speaker terminals...

J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                    mixer|producer|recordist
                    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

mono 8 ohm and stereo 16 ohm... i think they would be 16 ohm per speaker but i'm not sure and i don't have access to the place where my cab is at the moment so i cant check till next week so i thought i'd ask here if anyone knew...

Yup, that means they are 16Ohms... and Marshall usually uses 16Ohm speakers anyway...

Stereo: 2x 16Ohm
                      Mono: 16Ohm+16Ohm in parallel -> 1/(1/16+1/16)= 8Ohms

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

that is a hell of an inefficient cab!

If your cabs didn't have such an impedence mismatch (blues is probably 2ohm, yours is 8) you could try playing your head through his speakers. Does that marshall have impedence switching? If you set it to 4 ohms it could probably handle the 2ohm load, then you could see if it's your amp being wimpy or those speakers sucking tons of power.
                        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Zombie thread....
                          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092 View Post
                            that is a hell of an inefficient cab!

If your cabs didn't have such an impedence mismatch (blues is probably 2ohm, yours is 8) you could try playing your head through his speakers. Does that marshall have impedence switching? If you set it to 4 ohms it could probably handle the 2ohm load, then you could see if it's your amp being wimpy or those speakers sucking tons of power.
                            Umm... why did you dig this thread up?
                            -
                            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by C-Martin View Post
                              im not a amp tech or anything but like i said alone works great from waht i can hear and its just been serviced not long ago with new practicly everything and the guy that did it is a pro thats worked on amps for like 20 years or something.. i dont know much about amp circuitry or anything to check it for myself
                              ill agree with TGWIF and Vasshu. G12T75s are fat bassy speakers, but not much mids and rolled off treble. They can easily get lost in the mix when there is a fat sounding bass player - and even more so when there is anotehr guitarist using fairly cutting/present speakers.
                              You amp has the power, but its not being converted into sound energy the best way by your choice of speakers.
                              G12T75s are great for 100watt high gain marshalls, which generally dont have a lot of bottom end, they tame the treble and fatten up the bottom end in a closed back 4x12...ie: perfect for a hot rodded jcm 800 or 900 because they make the huge cutting power of the 100 watt hi gain amps tame enough and warm enough to sound good with a band.
                              Your amp is of the old skool marshall, which has a wider frequency response (but still plenty of power - remember a 100w amp is only 3db louder than a 50 watt amp). It all comes down to what part of the sonic spectrum finally gets thru your speakers and to your ears. The speakers you have actually are the opposite to what would best complement the great amp you have. Its not even such a big deal about db sensitivity on your speakers (even tho thats still very important), its more about what frequencies are being heard. The db sensitivity is a maximum decibel level at whatever frequency the speaker peaks at.
                              Have a look at the frequency graphs on the celestion website and youll see that they all have different frequency peaks and troughs. What the kind of equates to is like using a parametric equalizer, boosting a certain frequency, and then moving the frequency up or down till it fits best with the band. Too much treble and that often gets eaten by the drummer's cymbals. Too much bass and the bass player swamps you. All you are left with is a narrow space somewhere below where the vocalist usually sits. Unfortunately in your case, the guy with the deville is owning all of those frequencies with his bright quartet of 10's. The good news is, with the right 2x12 combination, your tone will be sweeter, warmer and fatter than his.

So you have 3 options, all of which are worth looking at.

Firstly the simple matter of volume: Do the rest of the band have trouble being heard? if so, then the other guitarist needs to turn down somehow, by just turning down his volume and/or treble or maybe looking at changing his speakers.

If not, then you should look at some more present sounding speakers such as the ones recommended. brigher sounding ones like G12H30s should be perfect for a groovy amp like yours, or maybe a pair of v30s if you really want to cut thru.

However, before dropping the dough on new speakers...try runnning your amp thru the speakers on the other guitarists cab combo speakers and seeing if there is an appreciable difference. If your amp is still seemingly under gunned, then maybe you need new tubes and a rebias before anything else. If you have been running at 10, it wont take long at all to wear out a new set of tubes - even a matter of weeks or possibly days in some cases.

Once you know your amp is running full steam ahead, then a new pair of speakers in your 1922 and you will be owning the stage with epic vintage Marshall tone.

Good luck!
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Damn! lol
                                Quench why did you dig up this old thread?
                                I just wrote a goddamn thesis trying to help a brother out before i saw Ayron's warning about zombie thread.
                                Grrrr.
                                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                                X