banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any love for the crunchbox from MI Audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any love for the crunchbox from MI Audio?

So after watching many demo videos and reading many good reviews, Im really thinking about getting the Crunchbox and using it as a boost for my 800.

Anyone have good/bad experiances with this pedal?

-Chris
    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Re: Any love for the crunchbox from MI Audio?

The Crunch Box is more of a stand alone distortion pedal than it is a boost...sort of a use it into a clean amp and get all the crunch from the box.

I wouldn't use it as a boost at all...

If you want a boost for an 800 I'd be looking at somehting like a TS-9, SD-1, Fulldrive...something along those lines. If you want to stay away from the TS camp of things something like a King of Tone or Klon would be great or even a Treble Booster depending on the 800 in question and what you want to hear in the end.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I have a Crunchbox and it's great into a JTM45 or similar but not very good as a boost for an already dirty amp. I recently got a Raptor pedal made (by Ratherdashing) in a trade and it's great as a boost or a stand alone overdrive pedal. I also have a Keeley T.M.B pedal which is probably the best pedal I've ever used for boosting a clean or dirty amp... awesome although quite expensive.

Comment

Ok if not for a boost, the other one I was thinking of was a keeley modded DS1
        Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
          Ok if not for a boost, the other one I was thinking of was a keeley modded DS1
          To me a DS-1 and a Crunchbox are pretty similar...I wouldn't use either as a boost...
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Hey Chris, where abouts in the world are you?

Comment

CC, I was just thinking about you and your search for the ultimate tone fri night lol. You need to get one of those Wampler Super Plextortions, Plexitortion, or the Pinnacle pedal, they are a little bit more spendy than the MI Audio Crunchbox but it suit your needs way more and also will give you more options in the long run. I was home this past weekend and visiting a buddy and he had the exact Marshall JCM 800 combo in his shop that you own. We played that amp for about an hour and both the high and low inputs sounded great. I remember you were saying the amp is too loud for home use. After playing the amp on the high input I see what you mean, we were in his work shop and we plugged into the high channel put the preamp vol on 5 and the master on 7 and rocked it out w/ a Les Paul and a EBMM EVH, amp sound awesome! If I were you I would plug into the low input, dial in your tone and vol, then run a distortion pedal thru the front end, your still gonna get a great tone pushing it with a pedal, I just think one of those wampler pedal's I recommended would suit your needs alot more than the pedals that you've been asking about. I mod my own pedals and have used other peoples mods out there, and every modded boss ds-1 I have done or played has still been a disappointment. Now the Tube Screamer, if you buy one get the TS-808, and buy a true bypass kit off ebay for $10. I just recently true bypassed a TS-808 and after removing the J-FET switch, and the few diodes and resistors that you have to remove to true bypass it, it took this pedal to a new level, basically it went from being a TS-808 to a TS-808 Handwired. Here is another pedal I would recommend also.
              The Rothwell Hellbender Overdrive Pedal is a new pedal here at PGS just in from the UK. It creates a touch responsive dynamic distortion that covers the full...

www.ProGuitarShop.com - The Rothwell Hellbender Overdrivemay just be the closest you getto a cranked Marshall in a pedal. PGS pits it against a real Marshall...
              "Do you think the bass is taking away from the vocals?" Dirk Diggler

Comment

^ tldr.

Comment

My true bypass tone is awesome when I engage the pedal......I hear friggin angels...
                  doh

Comment

the Crunchbox is the pedal people always compare the Box of Rock too, when they're talking about things that the BoR does better than every other pedal.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Most of the green overdrive pedals from MXR, Maxon, and Ibanez work very well with JCM 800's. Into my Marshalls, I've been using the MXR Classic OD, which is the same thing as the GT-OD. Maybe the Zakk Wylde model would work for you?
                      Maxon makes a bunch that are good too. I'm particularly interested in their new Organic Overdrive....an updated version of the good old 2 knob style, with true bypass as a modern feature.

If you've got a bigger budget, I agree with the suggestion for Wampler pedals. They've managed to build that British sound into the design pretty well.
                      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I think love carries it a bit too far. I enjoyed my Crunch Box for several years and I still think it's a bargain distortion box ...... one that sounds best when the gain is set under half. That said, I used it only to add some hair and ran it into an OCD and then into a clean channel.
                        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Is the MXR 10 band EQ a good option? it has a Gain band on it in addition to the EQ bands.
                          Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
                            Is the MXR 10 band EQ a good option? it has a Gain band on it in addition to the EQ bands.
                            You've got to realize that there's no clipping going on inside an EQ pedal. It won't make the sound crunchy on its own. It will be like a clean boost with 10 tone knobs. A lot of people like to run these in the loop with the gain set a bit above zero to get a volume boost and/or frequency shift for solos.

Comment

Working...
                            X