banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good thing I didn't go with the cheap option. (H2O Review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good thing I didn't go with the cheap option. (H2O Review)

So I went back and forth on pedal options to work with my cleans. I finally decided to go with the Visual Sound H2O.

It's a two-in-one pedal, for those of you that don't know. The right side is an echo, with knobs for echo time, repeats, and level. It also has a switch for long or short. The left side is the chorus, with knobs for speed, width, and delay time, and a switch for normal or lush. Everything on the pedal appears to be very durable. The switches feel unlike any I've ever felt. They have a spring-loaded feel to them, but they seem to make contact only at the very end of their travel. I think I saw a YouTube review that talked about this, but I can't remember where it was. Anyways, everything seems to work pretty well.

No, it's not true bypass, but that doesn't appear to be a detriment to the tone. The pedal's tone is very interesting, in that it adds a bit of professionalism to the tone that I'm not used to hearing out of my Boss and MXR stuff. I wouldn't say hi-fi is the right word, and I definitely wouldn't say raw is the right word. It's not over-processed, and it's not noisy. It sounds like something you would hear on a record without any extra work.

The chorus is pretty impressive, and the delay sounds pretty good. But together, they sound fantastic. I really have only played it into the amp with cleans. The chorus does the shimmery thing pretty well, sort of a Metallica-esque clean tone. The delay really fills it out, too. They don't get along with an overdriven amp, though. Maybe this is what I miss about not having an effects loop. That being said, though, the pedal is very transparent as far as dynamics are concerned. When I hit the strings hard, it still starts to overdrive, whether the pedal is on or off. I had read a couple of reviews that complained about the buffer, but it's actually very, very good.

This is what I meant in the title. Apparently Visual Sound's Liquid Chorus pedal is one half of this pedal. Separately, the chorus is nice, but with the built-in delay, it really comes alive. It's a good thing I didn't settle on the Liquid Chorus. By the way, my Carbon Copy really sounds great. Texturing multiple delays together really adds some depth to the sound.

Really I was going for something to add some life and spaciousness to my clean tone. This pedal really did it, and the tone is well worth the price in my opinion. I have been able to do the warm clean tone pretty well with my LP, but the top end crystal quality you hear in recordings has always been missing.

Thanks for reading. And everyone who told me the Visual Sound stuff was nice, thank you very much.

Re: Good thing I didn't go with the cheap option. (H2O Review)

Hey, I'm glad to hear it's a good fit for you! I always liked the H2O's chorus and it sounds like you're really diggin' the delay .... or at least the combination.

Has Visual Sound made any upgrades to the H2O since around 2006?
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I have always recommended this pedal. Just fantastic.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Cool! It is really nice when a purchase works out like you had hoped it would. I think finding the right chorus is one of the harder things to do as well.

Comment

Sounds like a really cool pedal, dude. It's been added to my list. Congratulations.
          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Now I'm curious... and I thought I had that whole GAS thing taken care of for a while. Gee, thanks
            Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
            I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
              Hey, I'm glad to hear it's a good fit for you! I always liked the H2O's chorus and it sounds like you're really diggin' the delay .... or at least the combination.
              Thanks. It already made a difference to my playing. You know when you get a new tone and it helps you make the sounds you've been thinking about? Yeah, that happened, and I love it.

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
              Has Visual Sound made any upgrades to the H2O since around 2006?
              At some point, they replaced the switches, then later, they replaced the knobs on the pots. I think they may have also reworked the buffer for the V2 pedals. If you've seen one with MXR-type switches, it's the old one. I'm not pretending to be an expert, but I'm pretty sure all of what I just said is accurate.

And thanks, everyone, for the congratulations. I think it's a big upgrade from my old Boss CE-5. It interacts with the amp much better, and I would argue the sound is better too. I don't have a lot of experience with chorus pedals, but I like the sounds I'm getting, so I don't think I'll be looking for a good long while.

One other thing to note about the delay is that it doesn't have the digital feel to it. It's not like you're hearing a bunch of extra sounds. It's like the sound is just a lot fuller. Maybe that's a quality of a good delay, but regardless, I like it.

Comment

I love Visual Sound pedals. I gigged the H2O and the Route 66 pedals for years and loved them. The only reason I sold them last year was that I "stepped-up" to the TC Nova System (to have a more capable FX unit with the same footprint). Otherwise, I'd no doubt still have those VS pedals on my board. Great pedals!
                "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Here's where I heard about the switches.

It's at about 7:45.

Comment

I've been using mine for a few years now and love both sides of it. Its really all I use for modulation in my rig.

Comment

Man - every Youtube of this sucks! Here is a decent review even if an old v. new vid...

Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

lovely sound. . .just gorgeous.

Comment

I'm surprised I don't see more love for this brand around here. When asked, people say they are great, but nobody seems to get excited about them. Now I'm hooked. I can't wait to find out what they're introducing at NAMM.

(Oh, and there's a competitor that I think we're all familiar with that may be introducing a new pedal as well...)

Comment

Have you tried the H20 outs thorough two amps yet?
                            This might be the time the predal pays for itself and makes playing clean a supreme pleasure.
                            That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                            And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

I've had mine for almost 10 years now. It's BOLTED to my board!! You should give the Route 66 a try too.

Comment

Working...
                              X