Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Solid State Amp under $300

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
    OP has NOT considered it! he wants to gig with an amp. solid state WILL NOT cut through the mix and is always gonna sound like static cardboard compared to tube
    Quite frankly, that is hogswash.
    A decent solid-state (take for example the Mustang IV or V by Fender) can definitely cut through the mix in a small-medium gig. Also, it will not 'always' sound like a 'cardboard' (box). Again, a decent solid-state can still be had for much cheaper, and still sound amazing. Tube-elitism is pathetic.

Comment

I'd recommend either
      a) A Peavey Bandit (112 (80W) version can be bought for about £200, which is just over $300 I think)
      A great SS. It's not a modelling amp, but it has two channels, lead and clean, and both sound amazing. In particular one thing that sets it apart from other SS amps of its price range is the TransTube technology it uses, which basically means it mimics a tube amp sound much better than many other SS amps. Really a great amp for the price. It can definitely gig (my friend uses one for small-medium gigs) and definitely cuts through the mix well.

b) A Fender Mustang (III-V)
      The III is around £200 as well. This one is a modelling amp, and is 100W, so slightly more than the Peavey, and can therefore gig slightly louder. It has 12 classic amp models and plenty of on-board effects (whereas the Peavey has, I think, just reverb), which make up 100 presets. You can also connect via the USB port to the computer and use the Fender FUSE software to download hundreds of extra user, artist and Fender created presets, as well as uploading your own. The presets are mostly great sounding, with only a few complaints about the Liquid Solo preset (basically that it hums a bit. This is not a problem with the amp, it's because it's an incredibly high-gain preset, and the amp it models hums at that kind of gain, so they've made it hum as it would in reality). With all it's presets, it's the most versatile of the two amps, and is actually incredibly user-friendly and intuitive for a modelling amp.

I hope I've helped. Either is a great choice.

Comment

...You're aware that this thread is nine months old, right?
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

An old PV standard at about 100.00 will eat up most current tube amps and many vintage ones. The earlier the better. Killer heads...
          ]
          FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
            ...You're aware that this thread is nine months old, right?

Now I am!
            ]
            FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I had a tech 21 trademark 30 for years, great little amp. Wide variety of tones to be had and none of them sounded bad or sterile. I will probably get a 60 someday to replace it.

Comment

OP has NOT considered it! he wants to gig with an amp. solid state WILL NOT cut through the mix and is always gonna sound like static cardboard compared to tube
                B.B. King. Seen him live many times over the last 25 years, playing a Lab series L5 every time. He cuts throught the mix just fine and sounds great doing it.

Comment

Then there's some solid state amps you haven't heard. When I don't take a tube amp, I bring a 60 watt Roland Blues Cube (1x12); it's been out of production for at least 10 years, but they have a great tone; gotten many compliments on it, and most players have assumed it's a tube amp. Cuts thru the mix nicely. Keep an open mind.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
                    I'm gonna say it...

Line 6 Spider IV 75

Fun little thing.

Oooooo suck it, haters.
                    +10000000000000000000000000

Yeah, I used mine for our last gig ...(line-out to the PA at the venue)...I used a big 120 watt Laney stack at our previous gig and everyone said the line 6 sounded way better this time...

...and this was playing doom/old school death metal without a bass player (!)

Really deep tight saturated punchy sound...

This was recorded on an HD camera by someone at the venue.. (it's a cover of the Autopsy classic "Twisted Mass Of Burnt Decay" )

...not the best sound, but the opening chords (before the drums kick in and flatten out the recording) show you that it lacks nothing as far as depth/clarity/power/tone go...

I know you probably won't be using it for anything like that ^ lol...but it's really versatile no matter what sound you want out of it ...and super convienient for small-ish venues...no pedal boards required and it's super light-weight.
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Hahahaha you're a madman!

Comment

I'm looking to buy a Dean Markley DM60RC combo.I talked to the amp's designer Greg Farris [easy to reach by phone] and he was quite enthused by his new solid-state and tube amp designs.To me,the "extra" factor is the mid sweep control,which allows lots of tonal variation.Nice reverb,very good built-in chorus,effects loop and Celestion G12P-80 speaker are nice touches.Street price is $285.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by EdMan57 View Post
                          I'm looking to buy a Dean Markley DM60RC combo.I talked to the amp's designer Greg Farris [easy to reach by phone] and he was quite enthused by his new solid-state and tube amp designs.To me,the "extra" factor is the mid sweep control,which allows lots of tonal variation.Nice reverb,very good built-in chorus,effects loop and Celestion G12P-80 speaker are nice touches.Street price is $285.

Ed
                          I did not realize that they were still around. I checked out the site, looks like some cool stuff!

Comment

a bass head, plug into all of them at a store and pick the one that gets the most pleasant cleans/attack, try your pedals in front. no need to exceed 200 watts SS.

You'd be surprised how 'tube' they can sound, huge transformers and great EQ's=great amps for the money. They also take multiple instruments, guitar/vocals at once, it's like a PA system with a good preamp stage in a lightweight package.
                            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I've used my Cube 60 at gigs next to some tube amps like the DSL50, a DSL401, a few 5150s, a 6505+ and a Fender HRDX.
                              Styles ranging from 50's rock to funk to 70's hard rock to modern metal.

No problem cutting through at all with any of my guitars in any gig, with rarely any pedals in front.
                              Good tones too.
                              I've gone either with the line Out to the PA, or a mic in front, or both when there's channels to spare and time to tweak. Love that

The guys that can't get heard with SS and digital amps wouldn't get heard with a tube amp either.
                              Last edited by Diego; 12-30-2011, 10:17 AM.
                              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                                The guys that can't get heard with SS and digital amps wouldn't get heard with a tube amp either.
                                Ha Ha! Exactly!

Comment

Working...
                                X