I Got My MXR Zakk Wylde Chorus Pedal Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Got My MXR Zakk Wylde Chorus Pedal Today

and I totally love it. It is soooooooo me.

First off, I seriously thought I was going to go blind when I first turned it on. I was looking down when I stepped on the pedal. My God man, that has got to be the brightest light on any pedal made. I felt like someone was shooting a blue laser in my eye. If you have one of these and play out live, you'll sure as hell know if it's on or off because of that light...lol.

Anyways, I'm a real big chorus head. I like to keep it on all of the time, but I like to keep the level of it way down so that you really even wouldn't know it was on unless I told you. I've always liked it to fatten everything up and make it alot fuller.

I played tonight for about an hour and a half and everything just sounded fantastic. All I did too was put it on Zakk's setting, except I turned the level down a tad. The pedal really fills everything out so much.

When I was playing distorted chords they were freaking huge, but there wasn't a real huge chorus sound so to speak. The same thing goes as well for when I was riffing out. It was huge sounding.

When I would bend a note and hold it on the E, B, or G strings it was fat as hell, but I was also getting these somewhat uni-vibe type warble sounds that were just amazing sounding. I stood in front of my Marshall JVM stack bending and holding high notes, and it sounded like that first amazing note that Jimi Hendrix hits at the beginning of the solo in "Machine Gun". You know which note I'm talking about. It honestly blew me away at how awesome sounding it was when I was doing that.

I played my standard ole few lead licks that I run through all of the time and it was just so smooth and full sounding....just really nice and liquidy. It sounded fantastic.

I played for quite awhile on the clean channel as well. Once again it just totally filled everything out, but it didn't have that super duper over processed chorus sound. I would do alot of picking on the chords and do chord changes. As I would do this I would turn the pedal off an on. Now don't get me wrong, you could tell there was a chorus on, but like I just stated, it just wasn't over the top sounding. It just really filled everything out and made everything so full sounding.

I also even totally cranked the level on 10 and it still didn't seem too overbearing or anything.

I already have my tc electronics g major hooked up into the effects loop of my Marshall JVM410H for delay and noise reduction. My next plans are to also run that into he effects loop of my 5150 stack for stereo delay, and then I'm going to run the MXR Zakk chorus into the front of both the JVM and 5150 since it's a stereo pedal. I can't wait. It's going to sound HUUUUUUUUUUUGE!!

Anyways, the MXR Zakk Wylde Chorus pedals are normally $99, but I bought one brand new from a store on Ebay for $78. I think I got one hell of a deal. This pedal right here has really helped me to achieve that sound that I hear in my head, and I'm glad as hell that I bought it.
    Last edited by JOLLY; 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM.

Re: I Got My MXR Zakk Wylde Chorus Pedal Today

I didn't know they made a Zakk Wylde chorus. If you do a demo of it, please don't use EMG's (not that I think you would).

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
      I didn't know they made a Zakk Wylde chorus. If you do a demo of it, please don't use EMG's (not that I think you would).
      Actually, now that I thought about it, it's called the Black Label Chorus. Don't worry, I don't even own any EMG's.

From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

Comment

That's a cool idea, just leaving the chorus on all the time like that. I've actually never even thought of that, but it does make sense. I really like subtle use of chorus to fatten up clean tones, so why the hell wouldn't it work for dirty sounds and leads? I'm gonna have to experiment with that some day.

Sounds like a cool pedal, man, and that's a good review. Thanks for that. Enjoy it.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Saw the demo video. That chorus sounds wicked. That's a really cool score for $78.

Comment

Sounds great, dude! I love a slow thick chorus on some of my rhythms; really thickens it right up.

Comment

Nice JJ, I'll have to try leaving my chorus on and turning the level down... I've never even thought about it! Glad you're digging it, I recall you being a little concerned it may not have been a genuine pedal. Sounds like you scored.

Comment

Glad you like it! I've never been able to get along with chorus on distorted tones, but I think it may be because I set it up to be a little more overbearing than you're talking about on clean tones. When it goes to being distorted, it does get a bit of that overprocessed thing going on like you're talking about. Good to hear you like it.

Comment

GOod stuff man.

I'm loving mine. That's the reason I got mine; it's a very subtle chorus effect. Don't get me wrong, I love that 80s ballad-esque lush sounding chorus, but this pedal really adds songs not over powers them.

This pedal shines on distortion. That's what surprised me the most. Zakk built this for distortion but to also add something to clean.
                  Originally posted by grumptruck
                  No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                  Originally posted by Gear Used
                  PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                  Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                  Mesa Stiletto Ace
                  Gurus 5015
                  Mesa Widebody 1X12
                  Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                    Nice JJ, I'll have to try leaving my chorus on and turning the level down... I've never even thought about it! Glad you're digging it, I recall you being a little concerned it may not have been a genuine pedal. Sounds like you scored.
                    Yeah, I thought it may have been a fake because of one of the pictures in the auction. I figured I'd take a chance anyway. It turned out to be the real deal and I'm very happy that I bought it.

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                    GOod stuff man.

I'm loving mine. That's the reason I got mine; it's a very subtle chorus effect. Don't get me wrong, I love that 80s ballad-esque lush sounding chorus, but this pedal really adds songs not over powers them.

This pedal shines on distortion. That's what surprised me the most. Zakk built this for distortion but to also add something to clean.
                    I feel the same way about everything that you wrote.

Comment

Jolly - do you own the MXR Carbon Copy delay as well?

It's a well-matched pair. Freaking sick @$$ clean tones combined, very lush-ambient like yet still subtle.

Also, if you do own both WEAR SUNGLASSES. Oddly enough I think the "mod" LED light on the CC might be brighter.

If you don't own the CC, go get one.
                      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                      Mesa Stiletto Ace
                      Gurus 5015
                      Mesa Widebody 1X12
                      Pedalboard

Comment

I'm surprised that what makes your two full stacks sound huge is a chorus pedal.

Comment

Now do you own the Zakk Wylde OD and Wah pedal as well??????? You HAVE to make it complete
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                            I'm surprised that what makes your two full stacks sound huge is a chorus pedal.
                            lol...smartass

Comment

Jolly - do you own the MXR Carbon Copy delay as well?

It's a well-matched pair. Freaking sick @$$ clean tones combined, very lush-ambient like yet still subtle.

Also, if you do own both WEAR SUNGLASSES. Oddly enough I think the "mod" LED light on the CC might be brighter.

If you don't own the CC, go get one.
                              I use the delays from my TC Electronics G Major. I like the way they sound plus, I'm a big fan of having a tap tempo for delays.

Now do you own the Zakk Wylde OD and Wah pedal as well??????? You HAVE to make it complete
                              I own the OD, but not the wah. I'm not really much of a wah user.

Comment

Working...
                              X