Blackstar HT-20 Crisp Distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar HT-20 Crisp Distortion

ok bear with me because i'm drinking. nuno, Lynch, VH, all have a certain distortion sound. i describe it as a tight, crisp, cutting type of distortion. mine sounds looser, not as clear, kinda muddy. any suggestions?

Re: Blackstar HT-20 Crisp Distortion

Are you using a humbucker in a light flat top body?
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

ESP ST-203FR: alder body, maple neck and fingerboard

Bridge pup: duncan distortion
      neck pup: yjm

jet city 1 x 12 cab (stock eminence speaker)

Comment

My suggestion is to turn down the bass. Seriously. My HT-5 also compresses like a crazy amp, and unless I turn down the bass and the gain, I don't hear the tones you're talking about. However, when I had a Distortion in the bridge, I thought I heard George Lynch's guitar coming out of my cabinet. By the way, what are the speakers?

EDIT: All right, you beat me to it. I think that Jet City speaker is voiced kind of flat. Go get a Vintage 30 or an Eminence Governor, and you'll be set. Or a Greenback if you're more into Ratt.
        Last edited by misterwhizzy; 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          My suggestion is to turn down the bass. Seriously. My HT-5 also compresses like a crazy amp, and unless I turn down the bass and the gain, I don't hear the tones you're talking about. However, when I had a Distortion in the bridge, I thought I heard George Lynch's guitar coming out of my cabinet. By the way, what are the speakers?
          yeah dude what sux is i'm so close to the tone i can taste it. i was thinking i need a better speaker. i may need a better speaker in a better cab. the cab is a 1x12 jet city and the speaker is a stock eminence.

Comment

thanks misterwhizzy

sounds like i'm on the right track because i was thinking of a governor or greenback. is the cab good enough in your opinion. i know the back is mdf.

Comment

i reckon v30 would be the ticket - cutting upper mids with plenty of definition. its purpose built for that sound.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I guess the greenback is pretty crisp at low volumes but I found it to not be enough sometimes, once it starts breaking up and that awesomely thick growl takes over. It's pretty easy to get a single greenback to that point, btw.

The V30 seems a lot more apt to give that cut in the midrange and stay with it at the volumes your amp is likely to put out. I haven't used one very extensively but they seem to have enough in the upper mids that I find them sorta bright but not harsh.

Comment

Working...
                X