Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: combos. Never again.

that ain't it. Was using NOS.

lotta denial in here. Tube combos rattle. More than heads do. That's it. Simple as that.
    tele / wolfie
    pittbull 50cl
    greenbacks

Comment

I had a Peavey VK112 and cranked the **** out of it, repeatedly, and never noticed any tube rattle. My old C30, however, was awful. I just use heads and cabs because I don't really like that open-back 'fart' that most combos have.

Comment

what kind of tube rectos in that Valveking eh?

and don't you have a Flying V to make sweet love to?
        tele / wolfie
        pittbull 50cl
        greenbacks

Comment

I prefer a head n cab to a combo, because of the possibility for rattles in combos, and because a sometimes it's easier to move a head n cab.
          It's not always the tubes that rattle. The rattles in combos can be illusive and frustrating.
          I've had several combo amps. Some rattled, some didn't. Allen Classic 10, PV 50, Vox AC15C1, Blackheart Little Giant and Budda SD18 did not. Well, that Blackheart did until I changed out the power tube. Peavey Classic 30, Marshall Class 5 and Bogner Shiva did. I could never find the Shiva rattle. Drove me nuts, and now it is gone and I have a head.

All that being said, if I found a combo that rocked my world, I'd take it.
          -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
          -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

I have had way more issues in my years of playing with heads way more than combos, than again I've only had two combos, a vht pitt and a 6505.......

Comment

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
              that ain't it. Was using NOS.

lotta denial in here. Tube combos rattle. More than heads do. That's it. Simple as that.
              Yeah and therefore the tubes have a shorter life, no ****.

You are a strange cat my friend

Just curious do your combos have casters on them? They don't have to be NOS casters, they could be any old kind.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                You're just not playing loud enough. Crank it up and you won't hear any rattling.

Jolly's right. I play through combos and once you turn up with drums, bass & vocals you won't hear any tube rattle.
                Smaller gigs I'll bring in only a combo and it will KICK ASS.

I've eaten many full stacks with one of my combos.

Last edited by Hoboman; 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                  Yeah and therefore the tubes have a shorter life, no ****.

You are a strange cat my friend

Just curious do your combos have casters on them? They don't have to be NOS casters, they could be any old kind.
                  I don't understand what you mean?

I'm a big fan of Chinese tubes, btw. My Pittbull is full of them, my 5150 was nothing but, even Reinhold Bogner told me to use Chinese in my Ecstasy, which was the 3rd one he sold. I bought that one back in 1993. He told me that in 1999.
                  Last edited by PVFan; 08-06-2011, 04:19 PM. Reason: hey, I'm not an idiot.
                  tele / wolfie
                  pittbull 50cl
                  greenbacks

Comment

Originally posted by Hoboman View Post
                    Jolly's right. I play through combos and once you turn up with drums, bass & vocals you won't hear any tube rattle.
                    Smaller gigs I'll bring in only a combo and it will KICK ASS.

I've eaten many full stacks with one of my combos.

he's not.

I don't think anyone knows what I mean. I'm talking about Santa Claus Coming to Town fudging sleigh bells. JINGALINGALING.

That's okay, a lot of veterans don't know what I mean until I show them.

Then they go, "Wow that amp must be broken!"

But then they realize the amp is fine.

And then they understand what I am talking about.

None of you do.
                    tele / wolfie
                    pittbull 50cl
                    greenbacks

Comment

he's not.

I don't think anyone knows what I mean. I'm talking about Santa Claus Coming to Town fudging sleigh bells. JINGALINGALING.

That's okay, a lot of veterans don't know what I mean until I show them.

Then they go, "Wow that amp must be broken!"

But then they realize the amp is fine.

And then they understand what I am talking about.

None of you do.
                      Maybe you could point it out to the rest of us on some famous recordings done with combos.
                      "Stairway to Heaven" lead solo
                      Just about anything by Queen
                      Most of early U2.

I'll go back & try to hear it if you can tell us where to listen.

Comment

ha ha, seriously, I'm not insane. Insult away, I haven't been hallucinating. Enough people have agreed with me and told me they felt the same way. And everybody else just gets mad. I have a tube recto in a *head* giving me some small sleigh bells right now, not too bad. I can live with it as it is okay, because this amp is lighting my fire; another thread.
                        tele / wolfie
                        pittbull 50cl
                        greenbacks

Comment

ha ha, seriously, I'm not insane. Insult away, I haven't been hallucinating. Enough people have agreed with me and told me they felt the same way. And everybody else just gets mad. I have a tube recto in a *head* giving me some small sleigh bells right now, not too bad. I can live with it as it is okay, because this amp is lighting my fire; another thread.
                          OK

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I crank the **** out of my AC15HW and there's no tube rattling going on. I can't say the same for my Crate V32 Palomino I had at one time; that thing always had some extra noise and the design of it was borderline retarded.

My point? Some do it and some don't. Nevertheless, I'm more of a cab and head guy myself.
                              Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

To PVFan,
                                I have 40 watt fender hot rod deluxe for practice. The drummer is loud.
                                When I get to it the stage, I unplug the ratty speaker it comes with and add two single speaker cabs I made dirt cheap. I put a GB12 in one and a Vin.30 in the other. My amp comes with two speaker outputs, so with the 2 celestion home made cabs it runs on a total of 4 ohms. My celestions are 8 ohms each. They f'ing sound like a half stack Marshal, which it pretty much is. I put one on my side and hide one over by the bass player. nice even directional sound. It is to me a thing of beauty. I dislike open back cabs for many reasons. I am planning to put a 4 inch hole in the bottom of each cab so the speaker can jump a little. But in the bottom of the cab the sound will spread all over in a nice even diffuse manner, really good for ambient sound.
                                Steve Buff.

Comment

Working...
                                X