combos. Never again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: combos. Never again.

i like combos generally for the kind of stuff i play, but for big thumping bass end crunch and volume, heads and cabs are the way to go.
    As usual, its all horses for courses.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've never noticed this tube rattling phenomenon with my beloved Marshall JMP 2104.

I didn't notice it with my old JTM60 combo either.

Or with my Tech 21 Trademark 60

Comment

Originally posted by PVFan View Post
        what kind of tube rectos in that Valveking eh?

and don't you have a Flying V to make sweet love to?
        Oh, I have been. And, IIRC, the VK didn't have a tube rectifier, but I may be wrong. I dunno. Either way, I should have kept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
          I've never noticed this tube rattling phenomenon with my beloved Marshall JMP 2104.

what about any other combos? and are tube rectifiers *not* involved?

apparently, I am a Master. Keep the compliments coming.
          tele / wolfie
          pittbull 50cl
          greenbacks

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post

ISWYDT at the end
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Howdy,

Except for Champs, I agree.

Comment

My marshall JCM is 28 yrs old and Ive crank it, put pedals in front of it. Ive never had any "jingle Bells" problems with it
                2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Combos are a passing fad.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankly View Post
                    Combos are a passing fad.
                    NEVER!
                    2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                      Yeah and therefore the tubes have a shorter life, no ****.

You are a strange cat my friend

Just curious do your combos have casters on them? They don't have to be NOS casters, they could be any old kind.
                      Originally posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
                      My marshall JCM is 28 yrs old and Ive crank it, put pedals in front of it. Ive never had any "jingle Bells" problems with it
                      I had a combo that didn't do it, too.

But the ones that do it were either old or new, had either NOS or current production tubes, but usually had a tube recto.

It doesn't occur when I play power pop strumming like The Heartless Devils do, Wattage. While I was tapping my foot to the Horror Show song, it occurred to me that if I played in this style I never would have encountered the problem, because it ordinarily manifests when I'm playing softly or with a light touch. Maybe if I'm ripping off Gary Moore or something.

I agree with JeffB. That was a real knee-slapper about the NOS casters. I thought I would never stop laughing, because it was so funny.

My "strange friend."

This topic always gets people's feelings hurt, so I was fully expecting all this hateful scoffing.
                      tele / wolfie
                      pittbull 50cl
                      greenbacks

Comment

i don't mind the rattle on some amps. on some fenders is part of their charme (like a free reverb )

but on some I do mind.

but the worst thing about combo's is their weight. oh boy I hate them cause they're too heavy and so hard to wield. I prefer a head+cab. the cab is most of the time bulky, ok, so is a combo, but its lighter. a head is heavy and less bulky, so you can tuck it under your arm or something like that. Maybe (surely) you have to walk twice, but my back will thank me at the end of the day. and... I can put the head on the frontseat of the car, next to me (or on my girlfriend's lap) to make sure it won't shake so much. try that with a combo...

Comment

I've seen one combo amp in my life that did this, and it's the reason I didn't buy it. It was an old Twin in a guitar shop, and it seemed to rattle only when playing certain notes (mainly A and E if I remember). Was that the tubes rattling or something else?
                          "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Working...
                          X