Overwhelming Fuzz GAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwhelming Fuzz GAS

Suddenly I need a fuzz pedal. No ... seriously, I need one.

I realize there has been a recent thread on the Black Arts Pharaoh... and not to rehash it, but here are the contenders:

All comments are welcome ... maybe.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: Overwhelming Fuzz GAS

Maybe I haven't been playing the right ones, but I really don't think fuzz is the thing for me. In which case, you may be thinking... "Why is he posting in here at all?" To which I answer, "That pesky post count won't increase itself." You're welcome.

Comment

Fuzz has never been exactly my thing either. I\m more of an OD guy (OCD some say), but I have this "gig" coming up where we will play mostly 60s music and fuzz is mandatory.

Even though I know your real intent is to postpone my thread's inevitable self destruction, as always, thank you for your post.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

None of those really blew me away to be honest but thats me...

We've talked some in the past and you seem to be going between a good Si Fuzz Face a Muff and a trashy junk fuzz...

If you decide on an Si Fuzz I like both the JH Fuzz Face from Dunlop and the Si Fuzz form BMF effects...

For Big Muff my fav Big Muff clone today is the BMF Aries Fuzz...it has the ability to get several vintage Muff tones plus other tones that IMHO are improvements on classic Muff tones...

trashy fuzz is always fun...the Peppermint or Dark Peppermint would be good starting points...maybe the Merkin from Catlinbread...

Also, FWIW the ZVEX Mastotron can be set to a number of cool fuzz sound...Fuzz Face is in there, trashy is all over the place plus a bunch of other stuff...just a great fuzz box IMHO.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
          None of those really blew me away to be honest but thats me...

We've talked some in the past and you seem to be going between a good Si Fuzz Face a Muff and a trashy junk fuzz...

If you decide on an Si Fuzz I like both the JH Fuzz Face from Dunlop and the Si Fuzz form BMF effects...

For Big Muff my fav Big Muff clone today is the BMF Aries Fuzz...it has the ability to get several vintage Muff tones plus other tones that IMHO are improvements on classic Muff tones...

trashy fuzz is always fun...the Peppermint or Dark Peppermint would be good starting points...maybe the Merkin from Catlinbread...

Also, FWIW the ZVEX Mastotron can be set to a number of cool fuzz sound...Fuzz Face is in there, trashy is all over the place plus a bunch of other stuff...just a great fuzz box IMHO.
          I looked real hard at the NKT 275 Red Dot, and by the time I include the adapter and light the price just doesn't work for me right now. Yeah the trashy fuzz can be fun but I need a little more versatility. I kind of like the idea of low gain Si in the Solid Gold Formula 69. I'll definitely check out the ones you suggested.

Comment

I've been looking at fuzz pedals quite a bit recently to. Out of those those 3, I'd pick the pharaoh, but I think I'm going to save myself some money and do the BYOC large beaver and build it to rams head muff specs. I also really like the blue Hendrix fuzz face, so I'll probably have to pick one of those up at some point to.

The problem I've been running into on a lot of these new fuzz's is they are to flashy. Some of them just have to many options for the sake of versatility and none of the settings end up sounding like what they were going for.

If I were going to go boutique, I'd probably take a hard look at the skreddy pig mine. It sounds pretty dam good. I just have a hard time paying that kind of coin for a fuzz pedal. Well any pedal for that matter.
            Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I have Black Arts Toneworks Pharoah #308, and lemme tell you, that is a great pedal.

It is based on the all-mighty Big Muff, but with so much more than the stock, jusy-off-the-shelve EHX unit.
              This thing cuts in a band mix like no other Muff style fuzz i have ever heard or used.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
              Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz; 08-14-2011, 01:52 PM.
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                I looked real hard at the NKT 275 Red Dot, and by the time I include the adapter and light the price just doesn't work for me right now. Yeah the trashy fuzz can be fun but I need a little more versatility. I kind of like the idea of low gain Si in the Solid Gold Formula 69. I'll definitely check out the ones you suggested.
                IMHO the NKT Sunface won't really do any of the tones you are looking for...
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thats the magic of the BMF Aries...a mid knob, and damn does it work!

Comment

i have that GAS as well after reading the Fuzz article in the current issue of Guitar Player, so far i am liking the BOYC Leeds, the Little Big Muff, the MXR 108 fuzz, and the swollen pickle...i like the pickle so far as it is very versatile and it doesn't cost very much, a fuzz circuit is ridiculously simple for some pedals to be almost 3 bills...

Comment

go for the black arts toneworks LSTR, or the swollen pickle
                      i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

Pulled the trigger this morning on the SolidGold FX Formula 69. I think Christian has my tone goals nailed ..... a germanium type fuzz will probably not work for me. I mean, I already sold my almost totally unused NKT 275 Sunface to a forum bro.

By Friday I'll be all warm and fuzzy. Thanks again to all for the input!

Comment

Current GP has a whole gear section on Fuzz. You (and Christian) should check it out.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            Current GP has a whole gear section on Fuzz. You (and Christian) should check it out.
                            Thanks ... I will!

Comment

...already did!

Comment

Working...
                              X