pedalboard/metal overdrive recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pedalboard/metal overdrive recommendations

I didn't really gel with the Rat at all... has this kind of fizziness on top I couldn't get rid of.

OD-3 would have been about perfect if it added some low end--the overall voicing was good, close enough to what I hear in my head.

So what sounds od-3 ish but with more low end?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post

This is absolutely, 100% NOT the sound I'm goin for.

I'm stoked to try out the rat and od-3 though

Israel you listen to The Sword, what pedal sounds the most like the first album, or the intro to Death Rides A Horse by Russian Circles
      If you can find one in your neck of the woods try out the yeti fuzz, I think you are going for that vintage modern style heavy tone ala the sword, mastodon, HOF, that pedal really nails those tones.....

We used to get those tones in spades with an HM2 and a tube screamer through my bud's old plexi, that amp literally blew up though, crazy ****......

Comment

Box of Rock doesn't have enough gain for metal. Boosted, sure, but not alone. I'd love to try the Distortron though.
        I tried the Distortron for a week and really liked the higher gain side and it's grind, but it's bass end is way too flubby for metal, at least to my ears and running through EL34's and ramrods. Not my setup because I'm getting tight bass from other high gain pedals. Even with the bass cut on the highest setting and pulling more with an EQ pedal, it';s too loose.

I have a new Wampler Triple wreck for sale. They are a good pedal but I can't get happy with it.
        Hmmm...I was just looking at this after returning the Distortron. Looks like it fits the higher gain side of my needs. What don't you like about it? What do you want for it?

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty View Post
          I didn't really gel with the Rat at all... has this kind of fizziness on top I couldn't get rid of.

OD-3 would have been about perfect if it added some low end--the overall voicing was good, close enough to what I hear in my head.

So what sounds od-3 ish but with more low end?
          Did you turn the filter up? That should take out some/most of it, but fizz is metal bro.

More lows than the OD-3?(!) Maybe an EQ is what you need man, I don't know of another OD or non-metal distortion with as much low end as the OD-3. I'll let you rock the HM-2 and show you how to set it up as an OD/bass boost and you can try that, you might just love it, I dunno.

I do have that Hardwire Metal and it can haz tonnes of teh lowz. I never tried it on lower gain settings though, and it will prolly have the same fizz you don't like about the Rat, you're welcome to try it out if you want though.

Hmmm, maybe tuning down/heavier strings, but that messes up everything else you do... I think an EQ is your best bet, and with the level up it will act like an OD, Kerry King has done that for years.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
            this is one of the funniest things ive read here.
            I don't think anyone that uses an HM-2 is actually going for that sound, ewww.

Comment

I'll look into the yeti

The OD-3 didn't take away any low end which was awesome, most pedals do, but it didn't really add any either, which is an important part of the equation

I thought about doing the EQ thing, but my amp's a f-in fender--you could put 16 pickup boosters in front of it & it'd still just sound fat and creamy.
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

A lot of people on this forum are raving about the green rhino because it has a bass knob where you can dial in the low end.
                Should be perfect for you.
                But if you really want to achieve the same thing for a lot less $$$ you could snag a used sd-1 and change out one or two caps/resistors. It's really easy. You will basically have the same thing except you have to put a little effort into it by soldering some parts.
                It's either that or you will have no choice but to go boutique.

Also, you might want to check your tubes, pickups and guitar itself if you find that your gear lacks low end punch.

Comment

Boss HM-2, into a Sunn concert lead/sunn 610l/custom made 4x12.

Comment

Into a Beta Lead, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                      Into a Beta Lead, lol.
                      I almost picked up a beta about a year ago, a 100 wtt combo on clearance at GC for a 100 bucks, someone got to it before I did....

Comment

Working...
                      X