Help with Amp Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Amp Selection

I probably have ten questions but I'll start with one.

Can you suggest an amp (head/combo/whatever) in the 25 - 40 Watt range that is Class A/B, tube rectified, has respectable medium hall non-mic'd clean headroom, and Fenderish shimmery highs with a bit more mids?
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Re: Help with Amp Selection

I haven't played in any "medium halls" so I'm not sure how to gauge the volume vs headroom, but... DRRI
    the amp has clean headroom up to roughly 5 on the volume, which is loud. On 6 when it starts to break up, it's not agressive-sounding breakup.
    Deluxe Reverb and a british-type speaker swap exactly equals Fenderish Shimmery Highs with a Bit More Mids. G12H30s, V30s, and Greenbacks all seem to do well in that amp.

I must say that after making the switch to tube rectified, I haven't noticed much difference. Just sayin. I now think it's weird when people specify that they want tube rectification as a feature. What? You mean you WANT to always worry about the crappy Sovtek 5AR4 blowing and taking half you amp with it?

speaking of british speakers in DRRIs, my Greenback clone just got here ^_^
    Last edited by FuseG4; 09-27-2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post

I must say that after making the switch to tube rectified, I haven't noticed much difference. Just sayin. I now think it's weird when people specify that they want tube rectification as a feature. What? You mean you WANT to always worry about the crappy Sovtek 5AR4 blowing and taking half you amp with it?

speaking of british speakers in DRRIs, my Greenback clone just got here ^_^

Thanks for the input and congrats on the NSD!

My current amp is solid state rectified and I am just thinking I might like a little more sag as opposed to the quick response. I don't play anything particularly fast or metalish so if there might be a perceptable difference I would like to exerience it.

Regarding 6V6 amps, I have read a few things online that suggest that 6V6 powered amps + tube rectification = flabby low end. I would imagine that there are other factors involved, but is anyone aware of any truth in this?
      If it does make a difference would it be the same with a quad of 6V6s?

Right now I'm kinda wishing I still had that Bandmaster that wasn't quite loud enough for me back in the sixties.
      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
        Right now I'm kinda wishing I still had that Bandmaster that wasn't quite loud enough for me back in the sixties.
        Well, that's kind of exactly what I was thinking--something along the lines of a BF BandMaster, Tremolux, Vibrolux Reverb or Pro Reverb; but be prepared to open your wallet for these vintage amps. The Fender 75s of the 1980's have some cool features, and are bargain priced, but SS rectified. (And the LEAD channel DOES NOT sing like a Mesa Boogie!)

A tweed Bassman, properly set up, could also get you there. The Fender reissues allow you to swap in either tube or SS rectifiers. They take pedals very well. Take a look at some of the Tweed offerings by THD, Victoria, Kendrick, et.al.--you might find something you like there.

Though Mesa makes some great amps, I hesitate to recomend any of them for you. All of the ones they make in this power range use EL84s, and your need for "Fenderish Shimmering Highs" says 6L6 to me. But the DC-3, Maverick, F-30, TA-30, Nomad 45 and the Express 5:25 are all pretty good amps in that power range, but they have EL84s. EL84s are an acquired taste after years of playing on 6L6s.

The Simul-Class Mark IIIs are great gigging amps, and you can find great deals on used ones. They have more power than you probably need, but the Simul-Class circuitry allows you to drop down to 15 watts Class A for a smokin' lead tone. You'll want one with the Graphic EQ, and I prefer the EVM speaker in these combos. The Mesa Theile cab with the EVM underneath will add a lot of bottom end and make most guys with Marshall half-stacks wonder what wrong with their amps. The Mark III or the Mark IV combos with a Theile cab is still my favorite my favorite gigging amp, even in small rooms.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

It does help BB, but I failed to mention I really like simplicity ... even to the point of preferring a single channel amp. If it has MV I would want that to be defeatable.

I have tried several Mesa Boogies and although there is much to like they are not quite what I'm looking for. I loved the Burn on the Express 5:25 but have limited use for it.

I wouldn't completely rule out EL84s for an amp I might eventually purchase, but this next one will probably have to be powered with 6L6s, KT-66s, possibly 6V6s, 5881s or maybe even EL34s (if shimmer is possible with any of those). I've never owned an EL34 amp.

I don't doubt Kendricks are great but I don't want to cash in my 401k to buy an amp.

Thanks for your response and the THD tip!

Comment

You should give the Egnater Tweaker 40 a try. It's got a sound that reminds me of a tube rectified amp, has tons of versatility, and only costs $600.

It's worth a test drive, since they just shipped them out to all the GC's.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Regarding 6V6 amps, I have read a few things online that suggest that blah blah blah blah
              I stopped reading here. Go play these amps if you haven't already, and form your opinions then.
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

The other thing which isn't exactly fender-ish, but is still a gorgeous shimmery clean with plenty of mids, is 30W, and can be tube rectified if you find the older model is...
                an AC30.

I took the DRRI over the AC30 but damm I like both amps a lot. Both have shimmer in spades.

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I think the power section matters, but it's not the primary driver in the sound of the circuit. Neither is tube type, except as it affects headroom. I don't think EL34s are what you're looking for, but don't take my word for it.

As I recall, you want a versatile pedal platform, don't you? I would think Fender, and I would also think head, since the speaker(s) will give you a little more leeway with fine-tuning the sound. I'd be checking Craigslist daily for a Bassman head.

Comment

Budda makes a couple that should fit your needs- with various power tubes, including El84s, and 6V6s.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                      As I recall, you want a versatile pedal platform, don't you? I would think Fender, and I would also think head, since the speaker(s) will give you a little more leeway with fine-tuning the sound. I'd be checking Craigslist daily for a Bassman head.
                      It needs to take pedals well, but a big part of my desire for a different amp is to purify the signal chain and eliminate about half the pedals I use. I would like to pare down to a single OD, one fuzz, a tuner, a tremolo and a delay.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                        I'd be checking Craigslist daily for a Bassman head.
                        As a bassman head owner - couldn't agree more.

I'd also +1 an AC30.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Early Silverface Pro Reverb...just have a mid control added to the back or use an eq of some kind or get a late 60's Bandmaster Reverb head and then convert that into a combo...1x12, 2x12, 1x10, 2x10, 3x10, 4x10, 1x15...whatever you want and you're good to go.
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                            Budda makes a couple that should fit your needs- with various power tubes, including El84s, and 6V6s.
                            Exactly what I thought after reading the OP.

Budda Superdrive 30
                            Komet Songwriter 30
                            EAST Amplification Club 18
                            Dr Z Maz 18
                            Sommatone amps

... and the list goes on and on!
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

It needs to take pedals well, but a big part of my desire for a different amp is to purify the signal chain and eliminate about half the pedals I use. I would like to pare down to a single OD, one fuzz, a tuner, a tremolo and a delay.
                              Okay. So you need a beautiful clean sound, then delay to make it more spacious? It looks like all the dirt is coming from pedals. Is that safe to say? By the way, with a delay like yours, getting rid of any more of them shouldn't be too much of a chore. Is reverb a necessity?

Also, is the Tele doing most of the driving?
                              Last edited by misterwhizzy; 09-27-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X