banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a g12H30 tone but higher wattage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a g12H30 tone but higher wattage...

The thread title says it all. I love the sound of my Supersonic into a 2x12 with G12H30's but, as a 60 watt amp, I'm a little concerned about blowing the 30 watt speakers. Anyone have any suggestions I can use as closely voiced, but more wattage appropriate, speakers?
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Re: Looking for a g12H30 tone but higher wattage...

This is exactly what you need. Only problem is they are very expensive;

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I have an Eminence Wizard. It may not be exact, but it's their take on it. And it sounds great. I've got it paired with a Governor, so I don't really know how it sounds on its own, but I've never heard anything negative about it. Plus, I love the way it filled out my sound. That may be what you're looking for.

Comment

The Eminence site is loaded with information about suitability of different speakers for open and closed back cabinets, matching sensitivity and power, impedences etc. etc.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

this would be more or less in line with what you're looking for:

(the regular Reaper is their G12H30 clone - the High Power version handles up to 50 watts.

Comment

+1 for the Emi Wizard.... very good speaker.

Comment

Like others have said, the Eminence Wizard will get you there. It's a really, really great speaker.
              Last edited by UberMetalDood; 12-11-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                This is exactly what you need. Only problem is they are very expensive;

http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/h_series.html
                Yes they are...I do have an empty mid 70's Marshall 4x12 to put some of those into though...

I have sent out an e-mail price request for the Wizards to see what I'd be out for them as well.

And yes, the Emi site does have info but I'd rather get some info from those that have actually played them. Thanks for the advice though!

Comment

Originally posted by Farkus View Post
                  Yes they are...I do have an empty mid 70's Marshall 4x12 to put some of those into though...
                  Well, if you decide to run 4xG12H30 in that marshall cabinet, youre looking at 120 watts power capability. Thatmeans that it would be just about perfect for a 60 watt amp.

You oughta consider a mix of G12H30/Vintage 30's. Still 120 watts, but a really full tone, but with lots of G12h vibe..
                  "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                    Well, if you decide to run 4xG12H30 in that marshall cabinet, youre looking at 120 watts power capability. Thatmeans that it would be just about perfect for a 60 watt amp.

You oughta consider a mix of G12H30/Vintage 30's. Still 120 watts, but a really full tone, but with lots of G12h vibe..
                    Hmm. I will consider that. I was thinking of just using a 2x12 though to keep the footprint to a minimum and not have to drag the 4x12 around for jams.

Seeing those Scumbacks though made me think about that cab I've got empty...

Comment

Two 50W speakers, or a 50W and a 60W in a 2x12 would still hit 100W (multiply number of speakers times weakest in cab, for safe power handling limit. To avoid blown speakers, should be 1.5 times the rated power of a tube amp).

So mixing an Eminence Wizard or Scumback Reaper 50W with a Vintage 30 would work fine even in a 2x12.

The bass version of the G12H30 is a lot of fun on guitar, too.

Comment

wizard
                        Originally posted by gibson175
                        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
                        X