Using 100 Watt Amp At Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Using 100 Watt Amp At Home

I tend to agree, 100 watts is barely enough for a small room. Ideally you'd need 3 or 4 full stacks for a medium-size bedroom. One full stack in each corner of the room is the recommended method. Larger rooms (garage, entertainment room etc.) will likely need several stacks miked through a PA system of at least 2,000 watts.

Of course these kind of rigs won't cut it for rehearsals and bar gigs, but they make the ideal practice setups.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
      I tend to agree, 100 watts is barely enough for a small room. Ideally you'd need 3 or 4 full stacks for a medium-size bedroom. One full stack in each corner of the room is the recommended method. Larger rooms (garage, entertainment room etc.) will likely need several stacks miked through a PA system of at least 2,000 watts.

Of course these kind of rigs won't cut it for rehearsals and bar gigs, but they make the ideal practice setups.
      LOL!

I'm kind of in the same boat which is why I bought my Blackstar HT5. Neat little combo. Although, when I ran it through my Boogie 4X12 in my basement it was so insanely load that my wife couldn't even hear the TV. That's 5 watts.....

What I've taken to doing with my setup is what many do in that I have my power amp (Mesa 50/50) set relatively low on 2 or 3 and use my Preamp for distortion and volume. (Preamp is a Tri Axis) I can get a great tone at a manageable volume.

I have to agree about cabinets too. You can manage your volume by getting a bit smaller. Case in point the Blackstar. On it's own with the 1X10, not too bad and I can jam with it on about half before wife enragement. (No she's really cool about all of this actually) Through the 4X12, I can barely turn it a quarter of the way up. Same goes for my rack set up. With one 4X12 it was loud, with my Boogie cab added to make it a full stack it's completely out of control. Not that any of this should be surprising, but it's worth noting that reducing cabinet size could be a good strategy for home playing/mitigating loudness while still being able to crank your amp a bit.
      Last edited by Jeff5; 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I may be a pansie but I'm no fool. I already have measurable high frequency hearing loss from 10 years of machining, I don't need to make it worse.

And I found a great low volume setup: blackstar ht5 through the line out into quality aftermarket computer speakers. Sounds perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          I use the effects loop all the time for home practice. It lets you put effects after the preamp distortion . . . so if you want to run a chorus, delay, or reverb it sounds right.
          I know what an effects loop is for in a general sense. I just question the need for that level of complexity in a practice rig.
          Band: www.colouredanimal.com
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
          Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Working...
          X