banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's your favorite power tube type for tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what's your favorite power tube type for tone?

I voted EL84. Man, they are getting slaughtered by EL34's and 6L6's!
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
      I catch your drift. From the sounds of it, what you say makes perfect sense. The EL34s in the bigger recs. focus the tone more and bring the mids up a bit, where if it does the same in the single, it might be overkill. But the 6L6s in the Dual and Triple can make them TOO big and kinda tubby, where it helps widen the focus on the Single's tone.

Regardless, it looks like you got some killer hardware, dude.
      Yeah that's bang on, you totally get it.
      Honestly though, the JSX is still tough to beat.
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
        Yeah that's bang on, you totally get it.
        Honestly though, the JSX is still tough to beat.
        I did a few simple mods to mine and it's DAMN tough to beat for versatility.

LP Custom
        Greenbacks
        Boss SD-1

Comment

So far I'm really digging kt-66's

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Tie for me.

EL34
            6v6
            This might be me too- cause I like low power stuff and 6v6 can sound fat at low volumes and can even sound kinda British in some hi Gain Amps.

EL34s if I'm far away enough are my favorite for overdrives and can do great cleans in some Amps.

Comment

It is really a hard question to answer. I think it really depends on what amp you are using. I have a couple old Silver face Fenders. On is a Super Reverb the other is a Deluxe Reverb. 67 or 68 not sure, bith drip edge amps. Te 6V6 in the Deluxe are awesome. They are old RCa types also & they sound heavenly. The SR has 6L6 & they also sound superb.

In my Marshall(i have a 900 50W combo) I have EL 34's and its a good sounding amp.

My Bogner Shiva also has EL34's. again great amp & great tone!

My Komet on the other hand can take any kind of tube. Since I have had this amp I have had KT77's & EL34's. I think it sounds amazing with EL34's
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Depends on the amp....Love EL34s in my Marshall,but love 6L6s in my BF Fender amp...
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I used to EL34s in my Dual Rec when I was more into bright, hard (hard like a sounds. I believe Strapping Young Lad did the same thing. They were great for the clean tones. Then just to try it out I switched to 6L6s and I prefer the slight compression it gives for thundering riffs and the darker character.

I like the sound of my JVM as it is (the only thing I've done so far is take out a component to reduce the gain somewhat and put a surplus military tube in V1). In fact one thing I've started to get used to about the JVM that the best sounds for aggression come from MORE gain. So it's the polar opposite of the Recto, which I set the gain just on the edge before any fizz happens and let the "bigness" of it's voicing and digging in to provide the sound.

I hear a lot of people changing to KT77s in their Marshall JVMs. But I'm debating about whether it's worth changing something I'm already happy with. If I'm really missing out on something that great just by keeping the traditional Marshall power tubes... Has anybody hear with a JVM change their power tubes? If so, what where your results?
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I like em all.

Currently I'm running one 6L6 and one EL34 (in a P-P circuit); sounds a lot like KT66's but with a lot of extra overtones.

Actually. I have four other Glassman's hanging out in the man-cave, each with totally different setups...and totally different sounds.
                    Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

That's interesting, a 6L6 and EL34 sounding kinda like a KT66. I can see that. KT66's remind me of the band Cream.

Comment

Working...
                      X