Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAD!!!!!!

I have a JCA22 head and love mine.
    I set mine up at my Church and run it every Sunday on a Black Star 1/12 with a 70/Eighty and it SCREAMS!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Nice snag, man!

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        I know from LOTS of experimentation with the JCA20H that I like V1 Tung-Sol, V2 Chinese, and PI JJ ECC803S. The PI is really important in this amp and can give quite a bit of different feel. If you're getting too compressed a sound, use a 12AU7. It can make a huge difference.

The only difference between the preamp in this and the JCA20H is the addition of a tube for the effects loop and a tube for an extra gain stage in the overdrive channel. These you're on your own with, but give that a go and see what you think.
        Same set up as i have in mine with the Tungsol in V1 and a JJ in the PI. I however am running a second Tungsol in V-2 on my JCA 22 but I think it has an extra gain stage that yours doesn't have.
        Power tubes are what really woke mine up BIG time and I'm running a set of TAD STR's.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hartfeltmusic2010 View Post
          Nothing special just two emmy govenors in a marshall 4x12. Ive got to get some new speakers to fill the cab with.
          Look hard at running a set of Celestian 70/Eightys with the Jet City man. I have a bunch of different speakers here and when I bought the used Black Star planned on swapping the 70/Eighty. That was until I got the cab home and started working with it and the head. The combination just works and the 70/Eighty in this cab for this amp is a real killer!!
          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            Same set up as i have in mine with the Tungsol in V1 and a JJ in the PI. I however am running a second Tungsol in V-2 on my JCA 22 but I think it has an extra gain stage that yours doesn't have.
            Power tubes are what really woke mine up BIG time and I'm running a set of TAD STR's.
            I got a set of JJs because I didn't have any experience with any other EL84s, and they made a big difference. It just cleared everything up. I think the proper bias was the real kicker. I had a Tung-Sol in V2 as well and thought it was right for a while, but it flaked out on me and started giving some high-end whistle that wasn't right. I don't think it likes being in the tonestack driver position. I haven't looked at the SLO schematic in a while--and I believe that's the preamp for the JCA22H--but I think both triodes in V2 are gain stages. This means you wouldn't have that problem.

The other difference that the Chinese tube made was that it thickened up the low mids and bass a bit, which I'd imagine isn't an issue on the overdrive channel. It also cut just a bit of the highs while making everything else sound huge. Every once in a while I get the itch and try something different, but I've been pretty happy with that combination in V1 and V2 for quite a while now. I wish I hadn't been stupid about trying the Chinese tubes, because this one really sounds great. I constantly hear from people about the quality of Chinese manufacturing being garbage, and I think it sunk in subconsciously. I have no problems saying that in this case I (and they) were wrong.

Comment

Congratulations. I have heard nothing but good things about those amps. I personally considered buying one but ended up getting a Tubemeister. I still want to try one. How does it sound? How much clean headroom? How close to a real Soldano does it sound?

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                How close to a real Soldano does it sound?
                My bank account is grateful that I can't answer this question.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                  My bank account is grateful that I can't answer this question.
                  So is mine! I don't know how a real soldano sounds but ill say this much Mike must be doing something right because it sounds better to my ears then most of the amp out under a grand . It covers a lot of tonal ground and at the same time does like it's own thing sound wise. I think more and more people will love these amps, build quality seems really good but only time will tell if they hold up. Definitely anxious to see what jet city will come out with next!
                  Last edited by Hartfeltmusic2010; 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X