What do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do?

Now would I use a wild boar or a domestic one for this application?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Anything else would be... Well, boring.

Comment

That cabinet looks heavy anyway, maybe it's time to replace the cabinet with something lighter. .

Comment

Originally posted by lareplus View Post
          That cabinet looks heavy anyway, maybe it's time to replace the cabinet with something lighter. .
          Seriously?

Idiot
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Well, I found a 1/4" bit from amazon:

Anybody know of a smaller one? If not, I'll probably just go with that one. Seems like the easiest way to do it.

Oh, and as far as doweling, could somebody show me exactly what dowel I'd need if I used the 1/4 bit? What's the best way to get it to stay in there - super glue? Wood glue?
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

1/4" hardwood dowel - should be cheap enough. PVA wood glue.
              Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

options:

1) Shim it with a folded over pizza box.
                2) Start setting the cab on its top or on its side.
                3) Fix it "properly."
                Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-03-2012, 02:54 AM.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'm going to order a bit extractor and a dowel rod. Hopefully I'll get it done sometime next week. I'm also going to install some casters, but I'm going to do it on the long side, so I don't have to worry about balance as much.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Sweet. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

That drill bits gonna jump all over creation when you try to drill into the wood. .Also, how does that go into a drill? Both sides have the cutting edge.
                      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I saw that... I dunno. Any pointers as to where I could find a better bit?
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                          I saw that... I dunno. Any pointers as to where I could find a better bit?
                          That happened to me, and I used the smallest hole saw I could find, but when you go to drill, the bit jumps , and so I rouhged fairly good.
                          These things usually require a drill prsss, but you you get a cabinet into a drill press I have no clue.

You can use a regular drill bit, and drill on three sides of the screw, and weasle it out with needlenose I guess. IDK.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I'll just be careful and take my time. I'm in no rush to get this done.
                            Custom neck-thru strat
                            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                            1995 PRS CE24
                            D'avanzo #8
                            Breedlove Solo Concert
                            1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

I will give you a couple more ideas, .... I work with wood a lot and have had my share of broken wood screws.

One trick I learned was to use a dremel tool with a cutting wheel. I would use the cutting wheel to cut a slot into the broken screw and then use a regular screwdriver to extract it.

Second is to use a screw extractor and I have always had good luck with this method. I use a small drill bit, (smaller that the screw of course) to drill into the screw. In your case you will now use the smallest screw extractor you can find and just back it out by inserting it into the small hole you just drilled and slowly turning. It will grip and then the screw will start to turn also.

I have had screws just come apart when doing the extractor method,.... I then use the small drill bit and drill right beside the screw, all the way around it several times, I then wiggle it out.

I use toothpicks to fill in the hole by pushing the toothpick in as far as it will go, breaking it off, and then repeating until the hole is full of wood. You can even use a little wood glue each time on the toothpick so it really makes a great filler.

Just a few ideas.... Hope it helps.

Brad

Comment

Side note... I really like that picture of the guitars and amp... that dual hum strat looks hot!
                                Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Working...
                                X